Author Topic: Best/Cheapest Home Internet?  (Read 6531 times)

micah_mae_

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Best/Cheapest Home Internet?
« on: June 23, 2013, 06:37:38 AM »
I'll be going to school, taking online classes and using the internet for home schooling. So I'll be using it a lot (at least 6 GB I'd say, if not more). Right now we have Verizon Mifi which would be fine except that we keep going over and they charge a butt load for going over. Also the Mifi device dies within hours so it ends up plugged in 24/7.
So what's better? A device like a Mifi or the Cricket USB things...something through a cable company with a modem? Something else?

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Best/Cheapest Home Internet?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 07:42:17 AM »
Things are going to vary wildly by location.  In general, a reasonable cable plan is (IMO) the cheapest bang for the buck.  I don't mean get the 100MB plan... but a reasonable plan (which will vary by cable company). 

I, too, have Verizon... It's not mifi, but a USB dongle that is plugged into a router -- effectively giving the same functionality as the mifi with the addition of wired connections.  I'm not thrilled with it... but where I live it is pretty much my only option.  I'd give my left nut for cable.

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 04:00:15 PM »
Replying to this thread to see if anyone has any further info on the best/cheapest home internet.  I've read the excellent IP Daley superguide (many thanks!) and am taking his recommendation that 3mpbs down is all I need.  So far the best deals I can find is a Comcast 2 year deal ($20/month) for 3mpbs but I am concerned that if I leave my apartment within the 2 year contract I may not have Comcast internet where I move and take a scary early termination fee (or is this very unlikely that I wont be able to keep Comcast as this company is just about everywhere?)

I'm located in CT if that helps (I know there are some very full mustaches here in CT who might have some insight!)

All thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Chops

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 10:53:27 AM »
The kind somebody else pays for.  Can you get work to pay for it, or share with a neighbor?

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 11:05:33 AM »
Sharing is the way to go.  Use a strong wi-fi router and split the bill.  Win-win.  Helps to have like-minded neighbors.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 11:46:42 AM »
Library wifi?

If you are going to school, do you have access to 24 hour libraries?  I practically lived at them my last 2 years of undergrad and at grad school.

Now that I'm not a student, we have an excellent local library located a quarter mile away that is open until 9 p.m. on weekdays.  In addition to the zero dollars we pay to use the wifi, the obvious free books and DVDs to rent are underrated.  I'll be honest, if I didn't go there to telework and get other projects completed, I wouldn't use the library system as much as I do now that I am out of school but it prevents us (wife and I) from buying DVDs and books that we can use for free.

It takes extra effort to be sure but it is very satisfying to not pay a dime for internet and spares that much more (including the reduction of dollars we spend on movies and books) to throw at school loans, saving for down payment on house, investing, or whatever else.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »
6/GB a month? That's it? Damn my household uses 100+ GB.

Still though, that's over the 5 GB you get with cell based plans.

You could be able to get DSL for $20-35 per month. Should get you ~6/mbps which is fine for school work and Netflix viewing.

Time Warner in my area offers a very cheap $19.99 plan that I think is 1/mbps. Still fine for school work but video will need to buffer for a bit more.

Both of these are basically unlimited use. You'd have to download most of the internet before getting an angry letter about overuse.

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 09:34:43 AM »
Thanks for the responses Mustachians!  I'm planning on combining some of the advice posted here: I'll get a $20 3Mbps internet connection AND a neighbor(s) that wants to split it with me.  $10/mo. (or even less if I get more neighbors on board) internet sounds great.   

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 10:33:09 AM »
Thanks for the responses Mustachians!  I'm planning on combining some of the advice posted here: I'll get a $20 3Mbps internet connection AND a neighbor(s) that wants to split it with me.  $10/mo. (or even less if I get more neighbors on board) internet sounds great.   

Just a word of caution with this idea. Read the terms and conditions regarding what you can and cannot do with the connection (most ISPs forbid resale of services with non-commercial connectivity) and that you thoroughly trust your neighbors if the bill is going to be in your name, because every legally questionable bit of content downloaded will be done in your name with the local authorities, and those terms of service won't protect you as a common carrier.

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 11:53:57 AM »
Very good word of warning IP! 

So you would recommend that as low $ as you can go (and still have enough to stream Netflix, etc.) would be a $20 3Mbps connection?

As always, thanks for your input!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »
Very good word of warning IP! 

So you would recommend that as low $ as you can go (and still have enough to stream Netflix, etc.) would be a $20 3Mbps connection?

As always, thanks for your input!

No problem, and yup. Glad to be of help. :)