Author Topic: Best way to sell washing machine?  (Read 4298 times)

redbird

• Pencil Stache
Best way to sell washing machine?
« on: August 24, 2016, 05:10:56 PM »
I have a washing machine that is less than 1 year old. I bought it because this apartment had hookups (no actual appliances) and it was cheaper to buy a washing machine than it would be to take my clothes to a laundromat and certainly more convenient.

I'm moving very soon to a state over 800 miles away, to a place that has a washing machine, and I'd rather not bring something so big and heavy with me.

Suggestions of how to get rid of this thing? Obviously I could get rid of it very quickly if I gave it away, but I know I can make money on it. I have never used Craigslist before and worry about personal safety. I don't live in a very good neighborhood, this apartment is on a 3rd floor (though I do have a hand truck and straps that can support the washing machine's weight so I can help move it to outside if needed), and I don't have a vehicle that can transport it anywhere (I drive a Prius). Any other good options other than Craigslist?

Basically I'm just hoping for an option that is 1) easy, 2) most likely will let me get rid of it fast (less than 1 week), and 3) doesn't result in me getting shot or robbed.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Best way to sell washing machine?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 05:19:55 PM »
Craigslist is my goto... 

But does your apartment have a bulletin board (maybe by the mail boxes) where you could post a for sale ad?  I have to think someone there at that apartment is staring at their hookups thinking "I wish I had a machine".

They're generally really easy to move with a hand truck.  I've moved a ton of them.  They are surprisingly light (for their size).

Oddball side comment:  My sister's husband moved a full size dryer 100+ miles in his Prius.  I thought he was insane.  He just shoved it as far as it would go in the back, tied it in place and drove off with the hatch open. 

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 05:17:38 AM »
I once sold a washing machine by setting it out in the driveway with a for sale sign on it.  It was gone in less than a day. 

But it sounds like that might not work in your bad neighborhood/apartment situation.  The bulletin board suggestion sounds like your next best option.  The point is to make it (or a picture of it) as visible as possible to as much traffic as possible.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 10:27:37 AM »
I also use CL all the time. Can you arrange for someone to be there with you when you setup appointments for people to see it? The bulletin board idea is a good one too.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 11:12:37 AM »
Back in my apartment life moving around a lot days, I just hung a sign up in the entry way. As others said, there is always someone who has hookups but not enough money for a new machine.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 11:16:38 AM »
We sold a 2 year old W/D set on CL when we moved house and our new house had a set.

I posted on CL, and had people come over and see it in the house (well, one person, the first person bought it).  She came back later with her H and a truck.  We moved it out of the house for her (didn't want someone banging up the woodwork or walls) and they loaded it into their truck.  It went fine.

Usually I am fine with CL as long as the person doesn't come into the house.  In this case I knew it was an old lady so I wasn't too worried, plus H was home.  If you are worried, I'd just let a neighbor know you have a CL person come over, and do they mind checking in with you before and after for safety because you are a bit freaked out? Or else schedule a friend to come over and hand out.