Author Topic: Best way to pay at Aldi?  (Read 6648 times)

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
Best way to pay at Aldi?
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »
This is probably something that's been covered previously, but site search is still broken.

I'm super jazzed that we just got back from Aldi, and got a ton of stuff for $45 (including winter gloves and long underwear!). The only thing that's bugging me is that I paid cash. I'm used to my 6% AmEx Blue.

Our primary checking account has a debit card points program, but it's not great. I ran the numbers, but it looks like we'd only be getting back like $20 after the $30 annual fee. I'm also not thrilled about the idea of using my debit card at a retail point of sale (Target and Home Depot breaches come to mind).

How is everyone else paying at Aldi? Should I just suck it up and pay cash knowing that the prices are still better than what I'd get elsewhere with my 6% cash back? Are there other banks with free debit rewards programs? I'm not particularly interested in switching banks entirely, but I'd be willing to open another account and throw some grocery money in there.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:06:27 AM by NoStacheOhio »

DebtFreeBy25

• Stubble
Re: Best way to pay at Aldi?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »
This is unfortunately the dilemma shopping at Aldi's; you either have to pay cash or debit.

I've been shopping at Aldi's for years and almost always use my debit card. Yes, theoretically a data breach can happen at any time, but cash is a hassle for me. My PNC debit card has some minimal rewards program and is fee-free. 

Personally I wouldn't worry about the points/cash back issue. Most people save a significant amount shopping at Aldi's that far outweighs what you'd be foregoing in rewards.

wwweb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 10:40:54 AM »
I'm also not thrilled about the idea of using my debit card at a retail point of sale (Target and Home Depot breaches come to mind).

Many (but not all) debit cards now have buyer protections comparable to credit cards. However, it sounds like debit doesn't actually solve your problem. I would just pay cash.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:02:57 AM »
Many (but not all) debit cards now have buyer protections comparable to credit cards. However, it sounds like debit doesn't actually solve your problem. I would just pay cash.

Yeah, I have debit fraud protection, I just don't want to deal with trying to recover funds from my primary checking account AFTER something happens for the convenience of not stopping at the ATM across the street from my house. I was really just hoping there was something I hadn't thought of, but looks like cash it is!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 12:07:11 PM »
I use the same VISA credit card I use for all shopping, and get the same rewards.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 12:54:57 PM »
Maybe this is only in certain markets, but Aldi here in MN started taking credit cards awhile ago. I always pay with my Amex BCP for the 6% cash back.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 01:19:13 PM »
Maybe this is only in certain markets, but Aldi here in MN started taking credit cards awhile ago. I always pay with my Amex BCP for the 6% cash back.

Unfortunately not all Minnesota locations do.  In Rochester, for instance, one location accepts CC, and another does not.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 02:00:15 PM »

Unfortunately not all Minnesota locations do.  In Rochester, for instance, one location accepts CC, and another does not.

Wow, I did not realize this. I only ever go to the North location. It's so convenient to do one trip that covers Costco, Aldi, and HyVee -- buying whatever is the best value at each.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 02:40:46 PM »

Wow, I did not realize this. I only ever go to the North location. It's so convenient to do one trip that covers Costco, Aldi, and HyVee -- buying whatever is the best value at each.

They've taken your CC at the one by Costco?  Hmmm.... Maybe I'm wrong then.  I thought that location only took cash.  They don't have the CC symbols in the window.  I love that whole arrangement of stores, by the way.  I live in N. Iowa and get through Rochester every six weeks or so, but it's worth it because we get so much done at one time.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 06:25:48 PM »
Yes, they take CC at the one by Costco.

detailoriented

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 08:33:40 PM »
Does anyone know if Aldi will accept a PIN activated vanilla VISA card?

If so you could buy a $200 vanilla VISA at a store that you get rewards greater than 3% cash back.  The ~$6 fee would be covered by the 3% rewards and anything higher would be savings at Aldi's

DO

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 11:35:37 PM »
You get such good deals at ALDI that I have never worried about cash back opportunities not being available

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 05:50:12 AM »
You'd have to do the maths to work out whether paying with debit card is a better choice than shopping elsewhere and paying the extra.

I just use my Visa debit card. Aldi charge a 0.5% surcharge for using Paywave, but I get a 2% cashback through the card, so whatever.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 07:58:15 AM »
Yes, they take CC at the one by Costco.

Thanks Gronnie!  So glad to know.

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 05:47:19 PM »
Staples/OD/OM will have 'Buy $300 Visa GC(acts as debit) and get $20 Visa GC free'.
The free $20 Visa GC from Staples takes around a month to arrive. After the fees (~$12.95), you will end up getting ~$7 free money.
If you have a high rewards credit card to buy the visa card initially,
will get more free money!
It's time consuming and low returns for sure. But still stretches your dollar a bit more! :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!