Author Topic: Best way to outfit an employee gym  (Read 2633 times)

CALL 911

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Best way to outfit an employee gym
« on: August 13, 2016, 05:18:01 PM »
The very short version of a rather long story is that I wouldn't sit down and shut up, so now I've been given a closet and $4000 to open an employee gym.

After getting feedback from relevant parties, I'm going with a bike, treadmill, elliptical and multi weight station.

The trouble is I'm having a hard time getting people to give me serious quotes on used equipment. They want me to go over budget, give me home quality stuff, or spring gotchas! (delivery, set up, etc.)

I've found a couple of places locally that I expect will kind of work with me once I turn on jackass mode, but I thought the mustachians might know of somewhere/something I don't.

I'm near Myrtle Beach, SC.

Any advice?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Best way to outfit an employee gym
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 08:32:14 PM »
That's a really tight budget.  What sort of equipment will be most desired/used?

I have access to a very nice gym at work (IIRC it was $90k in equipment) and literally the only thing I use is the half rack (something like this).

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 12:28:44 AM »
I would cut the eliptical and the multiweight station.

Couple of mats.

Few kettlebells starting at 8kg.

I think a halfrack is a good idea, with an Olympic bar and up to 150kg of plates; if anyone is lifting more than that for 2-3 reps they are serious enough to go out and buy more plates to add to it ;-)

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 01:02:46 AM »
With a budget like that, I'd cut one of the three cardio machines.  I'd likely keep the bike because that's good for people who have injuries or conditions that make weight bearing exercise.  And then I'd likely go with the treadmill, because that's pretty basic.  I think most people (myself included) are far less intimidated by a weight station than a weight bench or similar, so if the goal is to get as many people to use it as possible, I'd go with something like that.

Alternatively, could you send out a survey to the office?  Maybe list 5-6 choices and have people pick their top 2 or 3?

Also, you might see if you can get a local gym or personal trainer to come in and give everyone a basic lesson on how to use everything. They might be willing to do it for free in the hopes of getting some personal training business.