Author Topic: Best way to get rid of a sh*tload of kids clothing?  (Read 12168 times)

sandandsun

• Stubble
Best way to get rid of a sh*tload of kids clothing?
« on: March 15, 2015, 01:42:38 PM »
First, let me explain the situation so that the facepunches do not start flying...

Our 2 (1 boy, 1 girl) are the only grandchildren/nieces/nephews in either of our families... We have reigned everyone in considerably from what it used to be like, but they all still insist on buying clothing (along with other gifts) for every holiday... Soooo.  Despite our best efforts, the kids always have WAY more clothing at any given time than they need. Some of it never gets worn at all. The older one will typically wear the same 10ish outfits over and over and, to compound matters, his younger sister likes to wear his old jeans and sweatshirts more than any of the new clothing that is constantly bought for her...
In the past, we have donated most of the clothing.  I don't mind to continue this if it is the best ROI, but I would like to maximize what we could get for the items.  It is llbean, gap, Nike, under armor, etc... All in very good condition or new, so I really feel like there should be a market for this stuff?
For those of you with lots of experience selling kids clothes, what is the best option?
-consignment- tried this and got almost nothing for what I sold as a 'test'... I will donate before going this route.
- listed a few things on ebay as a test, but did not sell at what I would deem a minimum price (like, less than 2.00 for Levi's jeans w tags still attached, sold in lots of 8)
-yard sale- haven't tried this yet- what are your experiences with this option?
Craigslist- haven't tried this yet, not sure if it would be more lucrative than a yard sale? How to package if I go this route?
Any advice is appreciated!

caliq

• Pencil Stache
Re: Best way to get rid of a sh*tload of kids clothing?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 01:46:21 PM »
There are a lot of Facebook "tag sale" or "buy/sell/trade" groups in my area -- not sure if you're on Facebook or if they're a thing near you, but I see a lot of people posting kids clothes (and adult clothes, lol).  Everything sells really quickly, especially if you keep it in the under $20 range and group things together. 

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 01:52:55 PM »
If you didn't like what you got on e-bay or consignment stores, don't try yard sales.  People shop yard ales to get the cheapest price...lower than e-bay or consignment stores.

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 01:54:50 PM »
Caliq: thanks for the suggestion, I will check out that option... I have a FB account, although I'm never on it- I'll poke around and see if I can find anything like that in my area... Another problem is that I've let this go for so long, I have boxes upon boxes of stuff to get rid of...but I have to start somewhere : (

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 01:58:20 PM »
If you didn't like what you got on e-bay or consignment stores, don't try yard sales.  People shop yard ales to get the cheapest price...lower than e-bay or consignment stores.

That's what I was afraid of... Maybe my expectations are just too high.  I am thinking I should be able to get 1/2 of what stuff sells for at consignment places- so, like 2 bucks for jeans and nice gap sweatshirts... Oh well... We will see :)
I think the best solution is probably to return most of it immediately for store credit. Unfortunately, I did not do this all along and now have mountains of kids clothes : (

With ebay, I think the problem is shipping.  It pretty much doubles the price on cheap kids clothes...

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 02:03:42 PM »
Caliq: thanks for the suggestion, I will check out that option... I have a FB account, although I'm never on it- I'll poke around and see if I can find anything like that in my area... Another problem is that I've let this go for so long, I have boxes upon boxes of stuff to get rid of...but I have to start somewhere : (

I see people posting kids clothes in big groups by size/type mostly.  Some people even do it by the box, though obviously that would net you less $ per item. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 03:17:13 PM »
I would try to return the clothing to the store if at all possible. Even if it has been. While it is worth trying. You may get a store credit that you can use towards something you actually need. eBay seemed to be the place to go for NWT children's clothes last time I paid attention. I sold. Few things through consignment, but you really don't get much at all that way.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 03:57:16 PM »
Have you tried mass-selling instead of advertising individual pieces? Like, "10 assorted girls tops and pants, sizes L/6X, $20" with an accompanying picture of the items? It would makes your shipping costs or a Craigslist trip for the buyer much more worthwhile, and it would allow you to get rid of large swaths of clothing.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 03:57:57 PM »
I think getting half of the "full price" for kids clothes is an unreasonable expectation. I IFK up things from gap on clearance for a few dollars each. Kohls sells Nike and other brands, also $5 or less on clearance. So I just don't see anyone pasting that much for used items. Stinks, and feels wasteful, but I think it's a loss. I take the cash from the consignment store and take the rest to goodwill.

slf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 04:38:01 PM »
If you end up donating it, you could consider calling the local charity that assists abused spouses.  Sometimes the spouses have to leave in a hurry with their children and leave all their possessions and clothes behind.  I know our local one was thrilled to get a friend's donation of baby and toddler clothes.  I'm not sure about the need for older children's clothes.  Just a suggestion to consider if you end up donating it.

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 05:09:31 PM »
I think getting half of the "full price" for kids clothes is an unreasonable expectation. I IFK up things from gap on clearance for a few dollars each. Kohls sells Nike and other brands, also $5 or less on clearance. So I just don't see anyone pasting that much for used items. Stinks, and feels wasteful, but I think it's a loss. I take the cash from the consignment store and take the rest to goodwill.
Sorry I wasn't clear- no, I am saying half of what consignment stores charge... So if they charge 6.00 for jeans, I think I should be able to get 2.00?
Maybe it's just not the right time of year, but I listed 3 lots of pants on ebay, 8 pairs in each "lot" with a starting price of 14.99 and no bids... That's less than 2.00 per pair and these were levis/old navy/etc... Of course the shipping almost doubles the cost to the buyer, and I think that is going to be the problem with ebay...

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 05:11:14 PM »
I would try to return the clothing to the store if at all possible. Even if it has been. While it is worth trying. You may get a store credit that you can use towards something you actually need. eBay seemed to be the place to go for NWT children's clothes last time I paid attention. I sold. Few things through consignment, but you really don't get much at all that way.
Yes, I'm doing this now with the new influx, but I haven't tried it with the older items... I have no receipts, of course, and I am not sure if they would accept a ton of clothes w tags w no receipt...

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 05:14:28 PM »
There are a lot of Facebook "tag sale" or "buy/sell/trade" groups in my area -- not sure if you're on Facebook or if they're a thing near you, but I see a lot of people posting kids clothes (and adult clothes, lol).  Everything sells really quickly, especially if you keep it in the under $20 range and group things together.

I have had tremendous luck with this sort of group.  At least 75% of my selling happens here.  People tend to be more responsible when their Facebook is attached.  Less no shows, and I feel slightly safer as they have a photo so you know who you are meeting.

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 06:57:42 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions- I appreciate the ideas and this gives me a few good places to start : )

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 07:17:10 PM »
First, let me explain the situation so that the facepunches do not start flying...

Our 2 (1 boy, 1 girl) are the only grandchildren/nieces/nephews in either of our families... We have reigned everyone in considerably from what it used to be like, but they all still insist on buying clothing (along with other gifts) for every holiday... Soooo.  Despite our best efforts, the kids always have WAY more clothing at any given time than they need. Some of it never gets worn at all. The older one will typically wear the same 10ish outfits over and over and, to compound matters, his younger sister likes to wear his old jeans and sweatshirts more than any of the new clothing that is constantly bought for her...
In the past, we have donated most of the clothing.  I don't mind to continue this if it is the best ROI, but I would like to maximize what we could get for the items.  It is llbean, gap, Nike, under armor, etc... All in very good condition or new, so I really feel like there should be a market for this stuff?
For those of you with lots of experience selling kids clothes, what is the best option?
-consignment- tried this and got almost nothing for what I sold as a 'test'... I will donate before going this route.
- listed a few things on ebay as a test, but did not sell at what I would deem a minimum price (like, less than 2.00 for Levi's jeans w tags still attached, sold in lots of 8)
Craigslist- haven't tried this yet, not sure if it would be more lucrative than a yard sale? How to package if I go this route?
I think for maximum $$, my friends recommend:
E-bay
Craigslist (though there are some crazies there in this area)
Facebook (we have a local sell/ swap page)

I've done yard sales but I'm usually trying to get rid of stuff, so I sell for $1 an item (which is a huge discount around here - even the thrift stores charge $5-10 an item).

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 02:25:17 PM »
In my experience, there are lots of people selling kids clothes, so it can be tough to get much for them.  If you want to do it quick and easy, I would try Thred Up or someplace like that.  If you want really really easy, donate to Goodwill and get a receipt for it.  If you itemize your taxes, you can include Goodwill. 

pagoconcheques

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 03:25:17 PM »
This might be a long shot, but if there is something else the kids, you, or your house need, you could post under the barter section on craigslist.  They could be your path to a some repair work, bikes for the kids or yourselves, etc. 

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 07:00:20 PM »
This might be a long shot, but if there is something else the kids, you, or your house need, you could post under the barter section on craigslist.  They could be your path to a some repair work, bikes for the kids or yourselves, etc.
I hadn't thought of this- I actually might look into this- thanks for the idea!

socalteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 08:50:34 PM »
I have three kids. Over the summer we took all of our saved clothes that we had been holding on to and sold it on Craigs List. For my son we took all his clothes form 0-4 years and sold it in one big lot. We got $300 for it. It was a lot of stuff! We had multiple offers. With my daughters stuff we will be doing it a similar way about every year. Group it all up and put it out there for $100 or so.

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 07:40:46 AM »
socalteacher: thanks! I may look into doing this to avoid stringing it out in multiple sales.  I really just want rid of it all it is taking up so much room... I have a TON as well :)

pwegifts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 07:48:05 AM »
sandandsun

What ages are the kids and where are you located?  We have a 2.5 year old boy, 15 month girl, and a surprise baby coming in July.  We are needing clothes for them.  PM me if interested.

Thanks!

FarmFam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 07:59:08 AM »
The best return on your money may be Goodwill and taking it out on your taxes.  Or you can try http://www.thredup.com/ which is like an online consignment shop.  They send you a bag and you send it all in. 

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 08:09:25 AM »
I've been thinking about having an 'honor system' yard sale this summer. My thought is basically I'd put the stuff out with a sign saying something like "take anything if you need it, if you have the ability, please consider paying something within your means." I live in a very mixed neighborhood so I have no idea how this would turn out. I plan on putting out things that I'd just donate otherwise because I don't feel like trying to sell them would be worth my time.

I might sit on the porch and read a book to discourage people from just taking everything all at once, or I might not supervise it at all.

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 09:55:56 AM »
The best return on your money may be Goodwill and taking it out on your taxes.  Or you can try http://www.thredup.com/ which is like an online consignment shop.  They send you a bag and you send it all in.

this is what I've always done in the past... there's just... so MUCH this time- and most of it really nice stuff- things I haven't donated thinking it was really nice/new/maybe I would know someone who needed it... but I think you are probably correct about donating being the best ROI when my time is factored in...

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 02:17:51 AM »

Used clothing, no matter what you paid for it, or what "brand" it is, tends to have little resale value.

The kind of people who are impressed by LL Bean or Nike or Prada or whatever DO NOT SHOP at thrift stores (or Craig's list, etc).

So just donate it to the Goodwill or similar.

If you are really hard up and need the cash, you might be able to find a buyer who will pay more, but it's likely to be a time wasting PITA with little reward.

We give unwanted clothing to friends/family if someone wants it, but 99% of the time, it just goes to charity.

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 07:44:30 AM »

Used clothing, no matter what you paid for it, or what "brand" it is, tends to have little resale value.

The kind of people who are impressed by LL Bean or Nike or Prada or whatever DO NOT SHOP at thrift stores (or Craig's list, etc).

So just donate it to the Goodwill or similar.

If you are really hard up and need the cash, you might be able to find a buyer who will pay more, but it's likely to be a time wasting PITA with little reward.

We give unwanted clothing to friends/family if someone wants it, but 99% of the time, it just goes to charity.
This is what I've always done as well- and I really had no idea of what the market for used kids clothes was - thus the post and looking around at options... But yes, unless an opportunity fell into my lap I think it is not worth the time involved... I've always donated because it was easy and will probably continue that as there don't seem to be better options when effort is factored in... And I'm going to do a better job of returning when the stuff is new : )

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 10:59:55 AM »
A friend was moving recently and they had a [FAMILY NAME] SIMPLIFY SALE on facebook and instagram. Instead of selling it to people they don't know, the mom would post pictures of individual items/clothes with a price tag on it (anywhere from free to $25 or whatever). The first person to comment they wanted it, got it and had to go to their house to pick it up. I'm sure she ended up posting well over 100 things and it looked like most of it sold. If you have friends/family in the same stage of life it can be fairly easy to unload a bunch of quality stuff. People don't mind paying $5-10 for an Under Armour shirt that's 60% off SLP and in good condition.

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 06:13:55 PM »
Thank you to EVERYONE for all of the advice!
Based on your suggestions, and subsequent research, I've settled on this 4 step approach:
1. Going to try to return anything NWT and see if it can be returned for store credit
2. Going to list Nike and under armour items on eBay (these seem to sell at a price that would make it worth my time)
3. Might have a one day yard sale with my sister- if I dont, (or if I do, for whatever does not sell), then...
4. Going to donate whatever is left...

I'm also going to do a better job of keeping up with it as it is outgrown and NOT box it up to deal with 'later'...
Thanks again- I appreciate everyone's ideas!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 11:58:56 AM »
I tried selling kids clothes. Yard sales, Craigslist, consignment. Yes, I earned some $ but never enough to be worth the time and headache of dealing with the inevitably high percentage of flakes. I ended up giving up and just donated the stuff. I wanted it gone.

Maybe you will have better luck. If you do a yard sale, this is getting to be the best time of year. Pick the next available warm weekend. If you want until late summer or fall you won't get much traffic.

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 02:31:21 PM »
I tried selling kids clothes. Yard sales, Craigslist, consignment. Yes, I earned some $ but never enough to be worth the time and headache of dealing with the inevitably high percentage of flakes. I ended up giving up and just donated the stuff. I wanted it gone.

Maybe you will have better luck. If you do a yard sale, this is getting to be the best time of year. Pick the next available warm weekend. If you want until late summer or fall you won't get much traffic.

thanks... if I do it, ill do it soon... but it sounds like a big hassle listening to everyone... I'm getting less and less motivated to do it :)

jennaw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »
In my city there is a group that puts on consignment sales twice a year. Sellers keep 67% of the selling price. It is a lot of work to get items ready (barcodes, hangers) but it might be worth it if you could enlist the kids to help (maybe give them a share of the profits?). Here is a link to suggested prices that might help you decide if it is worth the time: http://consignmentmommies.com/Resources/ClothingGuide.htm

People can also rent tables at kids and baby sales and sell their stuff of there. Likely less work than the consignment sale prep but less money as well.

jmusic

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2015, 09:58:06 AM »
The issue with secondhand kids clothing is that the supply is enormous.  Think about it:  the kids grow out of their clothes LONG before they get worn out.  Not the case nearly as often with adult clothing.  I second the donation route.  If there's anyone in the family that might need them in the future that might also be an avenue to pursue.

dunhamjr

• Stubble
  • mustachian in training est. July 14
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2015, 01:04:48 PM »
if you don't need to get cash out of the clothing.

donate it.
the usual stores (st vincent, goodwill, etc).  churches.  womens shelters.

we donated some premie/newborn outfits to our hospitals birthing center/NICU.
(both our boys were born there, and our youngest spent 5 weeks in the NICU so we are happy to give a little back)