Author Topic: Best travel bank/credit card for Australians  (Read 4781 times)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
Best travel bank/credit card for Australians
« on: February 16, 2016, 02:08:31 AM »
hi,

Hoping some Aussies can help me out with the best bank account/ credit card to use when travelling overseas. In the past I have used my Westpac account as it has free withdrawals in many countries  (http://www.westpac.com.au/travel-centre/access-money-overseas/global-atm-alliance/) but they have a 3% foreign transaction fee

I then used a 28 degrees mastercard for my credit card as they used to have no cash advance fee (so I could use it where I couldnt use my westpac) and they also have no international transaction fees or currency conversion fees. But they now have cash advance fees.

So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a better option, my next holiday will be to the USA (and maybe Cuba and Mexico) but I would like something that can be used everywhere

thanks

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Best travel bank/credit card for Australians
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 07:23:01 AM »
Bankwest Plantnium mastercard, 2% or $4, whatever is greater. The best I have found but posting to follow, to see if anything else is suggested. the bankwest card also offers free travel insurance.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 02:59:26 PM »
Bankwest Plantnium mastercard, 2% or $4, whatever is greater. The best I have found but posting to follow, to see if anything else is suggested. the bankwest card also offers free travel insurance.

that is better than the 28degrees theres is 3% or $4 for cash advance

I have also found the citibank plus everyday account which has a 2.5% international transaction fee and as its not a credit card it has no cash advance fees. Unfortunately on tripadvisor someone advised that their citibank card didn't work in Cuba but I will have to look into that more

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 03:56:21 PM »
The bankwest card also charges 0% for actual transactions in foreign currency, so when I travel I normally put as much as possible on the card and then pull out cash in $200 odd dollar bundles. (Works really well in the USA where cards are normally accepted... Obviously not in Cuba, but the card, being an Australian one should work over there for cash advances at the bank).

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 04:05:45 PM »
The bankwest card also charges 0% for actual transactions in foreign currency, so when I travel I normally put as much as possible on the card and then pull out cash in $200 odd dollar bundles. (Works really well in the USA where cards are normally accepted... Obviously not in Cuba, but the card, being an Australian one should work over there for cash advances at the bank).

I think I will cancel my 28degrees and get one of these Melody or maybe the citibank.

Unless anyone else has any better ideas

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 04:09:33 PM »
28 degrees doesn't have much going for it anymore imho. The bankwest card has better fx rates and free travel insurance. I did a Google last night and it doesn't seem that there are that many options available :-(

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 04:13:26 PM »
28 degrees doesn't have much going for it anymore imho. The bankwest card has better fx rates and free travel insurance. I did a Google last night and it doesn't seem that there are that many options available :-(

yeah the 28degrees card has free travel insurance as well, but the Bankwest one seems to be winning at this stage

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 09:27:27 PM »
Looking into the same. Citibank Plus has better exchange rates - last checked last month.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 09:56:14 PM »
Looking into the same. Citibank Plus has better exchange rates - last checked last month.

Yes the citibank account seems like a good option

Wadiman

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 06:16:30 PM »
Another vote for the BWest Platinum - have had one for 5 yrs plus.

Note that there are a host of Platinum benefits - not just free travel insurance - eg warranty doubling etc are included as well.

When going O/S I always carry a fair proportion of cash as the rates you can get physical fx for always seem to be significantly better than those on offer via credit cards.

In Sydney, KVB Kunlun always seem to provide great rates for $US and EUR but go there preparing to wait a while for the transaction.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 12:54:24 AM »
I don't believe Citibank Plus charges a 2.5% international transaction fee. At least, we weren't charged when traveling last October/November, and it says in their fees and charges list that Citibank Plus accounts are excluded from that charge (page 3):

https://www.citibank.com.au/global_docs/pdf/Feesandcharges.pdf

Unless I'm looking at an old document.

We were really happy with the exchange rates we got with the Citibank, too, for Dirhams, Pounds and Euros. My only tip if you go with that option would be to not bother with trying to identify yourself through their online system when setting up an account with them - just print the form and get yourself identified at Australia Post. All your paperwork will go through much more quickly.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 12:58:30 AM »
I don't believe Citibank Plus charges a 2.5% international transaction fee. At least, we weren't charged when traveling last October/November, and it says in their fees and charges list that Citibank Plus accounts are excluded from that charge (page 3):

https://www.citibank.com.au/global_docs/pdf/Feesandcharges.pdf

Unless I'm looking at an old document.

We were really happy with the exchange rates we got with the Citibank, too, for Dirhams, Pounds and Euros. My only tip if you go with that option would be to not bother with trying to identify yourself through their online system when setting up an account with them - just print the form and get yourself identified at Australia Post. All your paperwork will go through much more quickly.

thanks for the tip :)

potm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 01:17:27 AM »
I can confirm that citibank plus account has no fees on it.
There are also lots of citibank atms around the world so you can avoid the local atm fees that are charged in some countries.

28 degrees and bankwest platinum cards are good for purchases only.

The next best card for overseas atm withdrawls is the Ing orange everyday account at a fixed fee of $2.50 with no % fee.
Shameless plug, open your account through this link and we both get $75 for free :)
https://www.campaigns.ingdirect.com.au/75bonusoffer?code=CYR573

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 01:21:13 AM »
I can confirm that citibank plus account has no fees on it.
There are also lots of citibank atms around the world so you can avoid the local atm fees that are charged in some countries.

28 degrees and bankwest platinum cards are good for purchases only.

The next best card for overseas atm withdrawls is the Ing orange everyday account at a fixed fee of $2.50 with no % fee.
Shameless plug, open your account through this link and we both get $75 for free :)
https://www.campaigns.ingdirect.com.au/75bonusoffer?code=CYR573

I just opened one of those! for the $75.

I am wondering if getting a citibank card would just be over kill and way too many accounts to pay attention to