Author Topic: Best Travel Backpack?  (Read 18923 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Best Travel Backpack?
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2017, 12:07:39 PM »
I dislike roller bags, and choose a duffel style over a roller when I can.  Rollers bags are SLOW.   Don't work on cobbles, and you can't carry them up stairs very well, dash around others.

I used to travel a lot for work, and the roller was a god send, for multi day trips, but mainly so that my heavy laptop work bag did not need to be on my shoulder....  (I considered switching to a roller laptop bag, and keeping the duffel, but the transit I used daily was not accommodating to that).  The bag itself was half full, had a danger of not finding a spot on the flight, and slowed me down.

This summer, we are going with backpacks all the way.   Fastest and best way to walk for 20 minutes over stairs and uneven surfaces.

humbleMouse

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2017, 12:21:47 PM »
This is the best backpack ever.  I have one and have traveled a bunch of places with it.  It is lightweight and keeps your back from sweating because it has a mechanism that lifts the pack off your back. 

It also fits underneath airline seats and easily counts as a carry on.   Fitting under airline seats is awesome on crowded flights.

https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Packs-Talon-Backpack-Medium/dp/B00E0LGDG0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491502779&sr=8-1&keywords=osprey%2B44&th=1

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2017, 01:43:29 PM »
Unless you are actually camping and hiking with all your things on trails, it may be easier to just use a good rolling bag. They are fine on all sorts of streets, sidewalks, paths, etc They are well designed these days and a zillion times more physically sensible than lugging things on your back. They are lockable. Then all you need is a light day bag for exploring. Your back thank you.

I disagree with this.  I hate being a a busy street or transportation with a roller bag, everyone tripping over you and giving you a dirty look.  and the roller & handle mechanisms take up valuable space in the bag.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2017, 02:45:28 PM »
http://www.ospreypacks.com/ca/en/product/farpoint-55-FARPNT55_526.html

This is my main bag for anything longer than 5 days. It's awesome. It's basically a 40L pack with a 15L day pack that securely attaches to the back (or can be clipped to the straps in front for weight distribution and security). All the mission critical stuff goes in the day pack and that comes with me onto the plane, bus, day trip, etc, but it can all go on your back for extended walks. Or you can leave the day pack at home and just use the main pack. Or vice versa.

It's pretty basic when it comes to pockets and (nonexistent) dividers, but the straps and back ventilation are awesome. I can carry it all day. Only real downside for me is that you have to buy an extra cover to make it fully waterproof.

I used to just use a roller bag I've had forever but hated the noise and awkwardness so I would just carry it anyways, cursing the thin, unpadded handles and switching hands every couple hundred feet. Did that for way too long, in retrospect. So much nicer to wander a new city with your hands free (or holding a camera).

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2017, 04:25:23 PM »
This is the best backpack ever.  I have one and have traveled a bunch of places with it.  It is lightweight and keeps your back from sweating because it has a mechanism that lifts the pack off your back. 

It also fits underneath airline seats and easily counts as a carry on.   Fitting under airline seats is awesome on crowded flights.

https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Packs-Talon-Backpack-Medium/dp/B00E0LGDG0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491502779&sr=8-1&keywords=osprey%2B44&th=1

I disagree that this counts as a carryon -- it is 25 inches long! Maximum on many flights is between 19 and 22 inches. Do you take the internal frame out to roll it down to fit?  I could see getting away with that, but the Ospreys are hard to dismantle (mine is).

There is no way that 25" fits under your seat (you would have it underfoot and some flight attendants won't allow that, and is too long to fit the normal way in the overhead bin..)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 04:30:51 PM by Goldielocks »

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2017, 05:11:13 PM »
For those that have checked a backpack at the airport, do you put it in another cover/bag to protect the buckles and straps on the conveyor belts? I've got a Gregory Jade 50L that I'm thinking of using for a trip to Europe this summer.

I have a bag that I put mine in.  Yes I spent $50 at REI for it, but I'd rather pay the fee than have the airline deliver a messed up backpack to me at my destination.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2017, 08:24:40 AM »
It's interesting to me how many people posting about their travel backpacks say they check them.

The best part to me of a travel backpack is not checking luggage*.

Of course, you'd need one that fits in the overhead storage then, which is generally 45L or less--some being posted (such as a popular 55L one)  don't make that cut.

The wife and I use a 45L and 46L one. Combined 91L is more space than we need to live out of full time, with a baby.

*Let's hope full electronics bans don't take place soon.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2017, 10:58:12 PM »
I purchased this one for my upcoming trip, and just did a test to see if i can get it down to 20" checkin size.  (smaller than typical limit for my carrier)

And why, yes, yes I can...   (If I deflate the internal frame, and bring a second smaller bag).   Then at destination, everything except my purse goes back in.  The key is that the internal frame is an air suspension.  (I will use this as a cushion on the plane).

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/klymit/motion-35/

Kymit 35L  Motion

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2017, 04:30:13 AM »
This is really interesting. I live in a tourist town overseas (from my perspective as an American), and I've done a fair amount of travel, though mostly just in North America, Japan, and Europe. I've never had a fancy backpack or any special gear. Typically I bring an ordinary backpack that can fit under the seat in front of me, a rolling carry-on bag, and maybe an empty fabric or canvas tote bag inside one of the other bags. If I pick up stuff along the way, the carry-on bag can be checked and the tote bag becomes a personal item for under the seat in front of me. The tote bag can also work as a pocketbook or a shopping bag on a day when the rest of my stuff is stored. If I get tired of carrying the backpack, I can put it on top of the rolling bag and wrap the straps around the extended handle. I try not to pack more than I can easily carry up and down a few flights of stairs and walk with for a few miles.

If I'm between hotels and want to go light for a day of sightseeing or walking or for several days of lighter travel, I put the rolling bag in a locker at a railway station or airport. I've done that in London, Tokyo, and Bangkok. In Taipei I left my bags at a hostel and then at a hotel. Most major cities will have some sort of luggage storage service, and some hotels or hostels will let you leave things for a day if you are / will be / have been staying there.

Have you done a lot of backpacking? I'd think you'd want to do a bit of traveling in that manner close to home and with borrowed gear before committing to doing it for months in a foreign country. If you try it and you like it, that's great and you have lots of suggestions in the thread for good backpacks. Personally, I would get tired and grumpy after a half hour with a big backpack.

Whatever you do, check the airline's rules about bags. They change all the time and allow much less than you might hope. Here's Wow's rules for flights (including trans-Atlantic flights): https://wowair.co.uk/customer-service/faq/luggage/how-much-hand-luggage-can-i-take-me/

Wow allows one small personal item. That's it, even on international flights. If you have to add a carry-on at the airport, it's almost $100 extra each way. If you pay online for the carry-on ahead of time, it's still almost $50 extra each way. Just crazy, and it adds up.