Author Topic: Best things to buy used for baby/toddler?  (Read 10127 times)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
Best things to buy used for baby/toddler?
« on: September 01, 2014, 01:39:01 PM »
My husband and I are expecting our first kid in a couple of months and are at loggerheads as to what to buy used. We are buying the crib, car seat and stuff like changing pad new and are planning to cloth diaper (we bought the cloth diapers new instead of used).  I want to buy majority of clothes used for the baby because he/she will grow out of it quickly and get anything that can be easily sanitized as used. But husband is against it since he can't imagine babies in used clothing or swings/bouncers. He says we can buy everything new now and then get toys, books, etc used once the kid is a bit older. We don't have much family and friends around to get hand me downs or gifts.

What did you buy new vs used for your babies/toddlers?

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
Re: Best things to buy used for baby/toddler?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:54:07 PM »
Everything. Seriously.

As long as it's not soiled with something that you can't get out, I really wouldn't worry about it. Especially clothing, as that's easy to wash.

I used to feel similarly to your husband, but after changing my 4000th diaper and being spit up on for the 2000th time and after seeing my child put everything they can get their hands on in their mouth, I can't imagine how a used anything would be worse. He'll get over that quickly. Besides, kids need to be exposed to germs.

Most sources strongly recommend not buying a car seat used. We bought one new, but I can't imagine how they could be affected unless they were in one hell of an accident. It's just plastic and cushioning.

Most decent sized cities have baby gear consignment shops. Some places do periodic second hand community sales of just baby items. Every person you know with a child has an attic or storage closet full of baby gear that they would be overjoyed to get rid of. You could stand outside a local daycare at pickup time with a sign that read "give me your used baby stuff" and people would inundate you with things. We had some coworkers that we hardly knew get almost pushy with trying to get us to take things when they found out we were expecting. We've found great deals on Craigslist.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:58:34 PM »
We bought a changing table used, which normally retails for over $500 (it's a changing table/clothes dresser made in the US out of 100% solid wood, no Chinese/MDF crap--when the kids are old enough not to need a changing table it'll just be where they put their clothes, so we should get many years of use out of it). Found it on Craigslist for $150! The changing pad, of course, we bought new--something you're changing diapers on is something you don't want to have been previously pooped all over by some other baby, since it's not like you can put a changing pad in the washing machine.

We would've bought a crib used if we'd found one we liked (I looked for about 2 months on Craigslist, and we specifically wanted a mini-crib, so there were fewer options). We would almost certainly have bought a new mattress for it, though, for the same reason we got a new changing pad.

I completely agree that used baby clothes makes sense. Otherwise you're spending at least a couple hundred bucks, probably more, on something that is only going to last 2-3 months. What's the point? The baby can't tell the difference, and you have to wash new baby clothes before you use them anyway, so why not just buy used for 1/10th the price or less and wash those instead?

He obviously can imagine babies in used clothes, literally speaking (i.e. he can picture it), so the real question is, what about that feels wrong to him and why?

Most sources strongly recommend not buying a car seat used. We bought one new, but I can't imagine how they could be affected unless they were in one hell of an accident. It's just plastic and cushioning.

Same reason you shouldn't buy a used motorcycle helmet. The cushioning is foam and foam wears out from use and just over time; you don't know how it was treated/stored (which could accelerate the wearing out of the foam); and with baby seats, it could also have some feature/detail that for safety reasons is no longer allowed, whether in the materials or in the design.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 02:02:50 PM by Daleth »

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »
Bought new: first car seat. Second was used from a friend. Potty, just a psychological thing. Shoes, need to do research, what the impact really is. Other than that I would buy used. We bought a few items new, though rather inexpensive ones like a bed for 99 Euros, but could have bought used, too. We also changed the floor in the kid'sroom to a plastic-free linoleum, which was actually the most expensive part. Car seat is next and then already the pictures for families and friends taking by a photographer.

Clothes is what I would not buy new at all... I really have to think of any we bought new and paid ourselves. Esoecially in the first year you go through an insane amount of clothes. You literally throw out everything every two months, because they do grow so fast. Until they start crawling, most clothes remain in almost new condition.

If you buy new now, you won't start buying used later.

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 02:52:25 PM »
Absolutely everything except the car seat and the crib mattress. Car seats should never be bought used unless it is from a very close friend that you are positive it has not been in an accident and is less than a year or two old. Think of how hot and cold your car gets. That wears down the plastic. And of all the baby gear,  clothes are probably the top thing that you should by used.  Most babies get more clothes than they can ever wear, and they outgrow it in like 3 days. It is so easy to find clothes in excellent condition for super cheap.

historienne

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 03:06:54 PM »
Literally everything except the crib and bottles.  We even would have done the crib, but had very specific needs and couldn't find a used one that was significantly cheaper.  And we couldn't find used glass bottles. 

We even got a hand-me-down car seat for the first year.  We will buy a new one when she outgrows this, but the bucket-style seats only fit a baby for a year at most, so we got the one our friends had outgrown.

I can't imagine buying new clothes for a baby!  All our cloth diapers were used too - at least hang on to yours to sell on Craigslist, they usually have decent resale value. 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »
Almost everything - buy it used. Better yet, "put the word out" among friends, relatives and co-workers that you are happy to take/borrow leftover baby items. Clothes, books, toys, baby carrier/sling, stroller, et cetera. Big items we got for free are a Pack-n-play, Nice stroller, very nice handmade wooden toy chest, powered swing (loaner).

Your kid is going to be eating floor food, bugs, boogers, leaves and dirt. And that's a good thing. They need to build up a healthy set of microflora. Don't start freaking out about used clothes. Or cloth diapers.

For some items there are potential safety concerns: Car seat. Supposed to be thrown out in less than 6 years, no accidents. Crib. Make sure the slats/bars meet modern spacing standards (simple test - if you can fit a Coke can between the slats, they are too wide.)  High chair. Get one with a good buckle/strap so that the baby won't climb/slide out. We ended up spending like $20 for an 'Antelop' high chair at Ikea. It's tough enough they are the standard high chair in the cafe with constant use.

Did we buy other stuff? Sure. But not much, between baby shower and freebies. Most clothes have been free from Kohl's - for some reason, about once a month they send me a $10 gift card. I walk over at lunch, get 2-3 baby clothing items from the clearance area, never spend more than $1 each - which is cheaper than used.

We have been buying new shoes, as there are too many crap shoes out there with stiff soles. We get the cheap "Skidders" - Target, or most recently Big Lot's. Something like $12/pair at Target, $5 at Big Lot's. Easy slip-on, flexible soles. Just enough shoe to keep feet from getting cut up/filthy/whatever. He only wears them outside, when we leave our yard.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 03:14:21 PM »
We even got a hand-me-down car seat for the first year.  We will buy a new one when she outgrows this, but the bucket-style seats only fit a baby for a year at most, so we got the one our friends had outgrown.

We're thinking to Craigslist the bucket seat we got (free!) from the hospital. It was used for less than a year, and we didn't ever leave it out in the car. Too convenient to just carry the baby and car seat inside, and kept the car seat from being too hot when we reloaded the baby ;)

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 05:03:49 PM »
We bought used clothes, books, a swing, play mat, ergo, and bath. There are plenty more things I would have been willing to buy used but I either couldn't find what I wanted or received them as a gift.

Toss cloth things in the washer, wipe down plastic and metal things with some cleaning solution, and voila - good as new!

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 05:10:06 PM »
For a newborn, the only thing we bought new was the car capsule, some cloth nappies (diapers) and an Ergo (only because people seem to hold onto them and I couldn't find one used). Everything else was bought used, gifted or loaned to us from friends.

For a toddler, I've bought:
- bottles (no longer breast feeding)
- a cot mattress (rarely used because he prefers to sleep in the family bed)
- a forward facing car seat
- shoes (I'm a bit particular about shoes for kids just learning to walk).

In reality there is so much good quality, rarely used kids stuff on the market that there is little need to buy new. I've bought all of his toys off Gumtree (Craigslist equivalent) and then sold them again when finished for the same price or even more.

ENL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 05:45:30 PM »
I would recommend buying as much used as possible.  Clothing is EASY to get used for 10-50 cents each when the same item new would be 8 dollars.  Try to get things on craigslist that are still in very good shape and with a recognizable brand name, that way you can easily check it for recalls.  Also, avoid items that cannot be easily washed in the washing machine or given a good cleaning in the sink. (Look for and avoid "spot clean only" on tags. Also, usually seats for swings and bouncers can be removed and washed) 

So much baby stuff is used for a short time only before it is outgrown and then is resold at half the price in like new condition.

The only things that I would recommend buying NEW:

1) Car seats.  These are built to withstand ONE accident.  There is foam padding and parts on the inside that are not visible that are very likely to be damaged in an accident.  When you use a used car seat you do not know it's history and if it will adequately protect your child.  The only exception is reusing for a second child or receiving from a trusted friend.

2) Breast pumps.  It possible to sanitize most of the parts but you have no way of knowing if breast milk ever got into the motor of the pump.  If it did, there will be mold growing there which could contaminate the milk you pump.

3) Shoes that will be used frequently.  Shoes mold to the feet of the person using them, so it is better for your kid's foot health to buy new shoes.  I also suggest getting one with flexible soles as they are better for developing feet (I love the pediped brand and will buy a pair when they go on sale on amazon way before my son is even in that size.  Totally buy dress shoes that will be worn once for wedding from a resale shop, though. :-)

4)  Coats.  If you CAN buy a used coat, great, but I find that these are difficult/impossible to find used so I don't even try anymore since my time is better spent elsewhere.  Buy at the end of season for the next season instead to save money

5) Mattresses.  beg bugs are no joke.  Don't take the risk.

6) Hygiene products such as a toothbrush.  Obvious, but adding for completeness.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:54:34 PM by Evil Number Lady »

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 08:02:42 PM »
Something to  consider is the chemical load of new items. Ones that have been around a while, the manufacturing chemicals have already offgassed/been washed out.

There is pretty much nothing I wouldn't buy used. A car seat I would take used only from someone I knew or at least a friend-of-a-friend and would only take for free (a person selling something for money has more incentive to lie than someone asking for nothing). It is easy to check out whether it has been recalled and when it was manufactured and you can ask the person if they ever washed the straps. (Submerging them in water is a no-no.)

I have bought my kids secondhand shoes, hats, coats, snow boots, toys, crib sheets, etc. I allowed my second child to sleep on a Freecycle bassinet mattress and nursed him on a consignment sale Boppy. I wrapped them in secondhand cloth diapers. They are healthy sturdy little toddlers. IMO you have already bought too much new stuff. Tell your husband to PUT DOWN THE CREDIT CARD!

And congrats on the new baby :-).

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 12:12:29 AM »
Wow!! Thanks for all the suggestions and great advice! Now time to convince my husband that we can buy atleast some used stuff.... Esp clothing.

sandyvanburen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 01:47:25 AM »
My husband was like yours. He wanted everything bought new... Couldn't imagine his kid in second hand cloths, saying: "It's not a second hand kid, is it!!"

I did this:
I bought some second hand clothes online for a few bucks, washed and ironed them and at night I showed it to him. "Cute," said he, "how much did you spend?" I told him: "$ 3 for all these!"

He was floored! The clothes looked new to him. They did to me too, as little baby's grow out of them so fast, they hardly get any wear at all.

After this, my husband encourages me to buy used as much as I can find, just so long as we have everything we need.

I tend to buy onesies and tights new at the local dollarstore but everything else I try to get used. And then sell it again after I'm done with it.

Toys too. I wanted a toy for our daughter that was $ 39 in the store. "Go ahead", my husband told me. But I said I'd look online for something used first. Found it for $ 8 in a local town that I was going to visit in a week anyways. So no extra cost for driving there (and I would have biked anyway as I always look for stuff within biking distance!).

Curiously I find that used baby books are hardest to find. I ended up buying some at the store just yesterday... :(

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 01:55:03 AM »
I also say used everything (except car seat, unless you trust the previous owner to tell you if it had been in an accident).

My friend once said to me, "I thought about buying this toy used, since it's so expensive. But I wanted it to be clean". And I was like, "yeah, sure that factory it was made in half way around the world was sterile. And the packaging department. And the shipping container... and the warehouse" etc.

"Clean" is a myth. New stuff isn't clean. In fact, it's probably off-gassing which is way worse than anything that is stuck on it from a previous baby that certainly can be wiped off.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 02:03:10 AM »
Curiously I find that used baby books are hardest to find. I ended up buying some at the store just yesterday... :(

I'm not surprised... Our boy loves to rip his books apart. They now consist half of paper, half of duct tape. A colleague's toddler is in the habit of eating books. ;)

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 05:24:22 AM »
Skip the crib and get a pack n play. Way cheaper and works just as well. No need for a changing table. That's what beds, couches,and floors are for.

Buy everything used except a car seat. Clothes for sure. The first time your baby spits up or poops on a $20 onesiefrom the gap, it will be stained forever. So, who cares if it costs $20 or $1?

Good for you for cloth diapering. We figured out we started saving money after using cloth for 4-5 months. Now we are days away from having #2 and we will be reusing the same diapers.

Avoid buying things you don't need. You don't need to be fully stocked and prepared the day the baby is born. They need so little at first, just have the baby and buy stuff you really need as you go. And buy it used. Congrats!

Hannah

• Stubble
    • Cookbook Authority
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 06:18:49 AM »

2) Breast pumps.  It possible to sanitize most of the parts but you have no way of knowing if breast milk ever got into the motor of the pump.  If it did, there will be mold growing there which could contaminate the milk you pump.

I got an electronic pump from a friend. I bought new tubes and the specific cups, but the pump itself has worked just fine. I am lending mine to a friend with the recommendation that she do the same.

Also, as a side note- if you work in a corporate environment, the other moms might inundate you with their awesome used stuff- don't buy anything until after the baby is born.

ENL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 06:46:20 AM »

I got an electronic pump from a friend. I bought new tubes and the specific cups, but the pump itself has worked just fine. I am lending mine to a friend with the recommendation that she do the same.

I didn't say that the pump wouldn't function, just that you run a risk of mold growing in it where you can't see.  I split the difference by buying an unused (as in sealed, unopened) pump secondhand from a mom who bought one and changed her mind about breastfeeding before she ever used it.  These days pumps should be covered by your health insurance (one of the things the ACA put in place) so if you live in the USA there is NO reason anymore to risk using a used breast pump.

ENL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 06:53:13 AM »

I second this.  Also, puzzles without missing pieces.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 07:26:36 AM »
No need for a changing table.

If you can get one for free or very cheap, however, I would recommend them, especially if you have any sort of lower back problems. Leaning over to change a newborn 10+ times a day can be murder of your back. I got a table free for my second and third children, and it has been great.

Regarding the used breast pump, it is absolutely improbable to me that milk could infiltrate the Medela pump and cause a problem. I used a pump that was handed down at least three times. Don't let the threat on the pump about a voided warranty scare you. You can buy a used pump and be fine, but with the ACA, you don't need to. Get your OB to write you a prescription and insurance should pay the bulk. In May when I gave birth to my third, I got a brand new pump in style for a $25 "shipping fee."

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 10:14:29 AM »
We pretty much bought everything used (including bottles and the crib) with the exception of car seats and cloth diapers.

Rage

• Stubble
  • Eat the Horses
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 10:42:28 AM »
I just want to chime in in support of buying pretty much everything used.  We have a 5 month old (our first) so we just went through this. 

The best part about buying used - cribs, dressers, changing tables, strollers - these things are a HUGE hassle to put together when you buy them new.  And as others have said, they have that "new" smell of outgassing VOCs.

ENL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 11:09:35 AM »
Regarding the used breast pump, it is absolutely improbable to me that milk could infiltrate the Medela pump and cause a problem.

Had it happen to a friend, so it is def possible.  The lactation consultant at the hospital also told me she has run into the problem serveral times.  Condensation gets in the tubes and can creep up them all the way to the motor.

You can buy a used pump and be fine, but with the ACA, you don't need to. Get your OB to write you a prescription and insurance should pay the bulk. In May when I gave birth to my third, I got a brand new pump in style for a $25 "shipping fee."

This.  Even if you don't agree on how hygienic a used pump is, it doesn't matter because you shouldn't need one.

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 11:14:21 AM »
Buying an "official" changing table is not necessary - especially since the ones that I have seen are really unpractical for anything other than changing diapers.  We had an old (but sturdy) flat top desk that my husband had forever, and that became our changing table.  I got one of those changing pads with a couple of covers to change out as needed, and it was so nice.  Not having to bend over while changing diapers was so nice.  Not completely needed, and I would never buy a new one, but if you can repurpose something you already have or find something cheap, I do recommend getting one.
Cloth diapers -- don't go out and spend a ton of money on a bunch of one kind of diaper before your little one is born.  There are so many different styles and brands, and they are all very different.  I bought a whole bunch of different kinds used (I really like diaperswappers.com).  Once my kiddo was born, I tried them out and figured out what worked for us.  I resold the ones that didn't work for us (since I bought used, I didn't lose a ton of money in the reselling process) and I bought more of what did work.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 02:05:13 PM »
Really depends.... Had it worked ten years ago when we wanted to have kids, I would probably have agreed. In my late 20ties I wouldn't have minded to bend over or kneel down many times a day to change diapers. But approaching 40 it's a different story. Our changing table was 99 Euros and can be repurposed into a regular cupboard by removing the top shelve. Well worth the money.

brianstarr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2015, 12:26:39 AM »
I feel that buying used items is a better option as it helps us save money instead of going for completely new items. Things such as cribs, toddler beds, clothes, furniture, toy boxes and all such things that do not involve much of hygienic precautions can be bought. There are many auction sites online nowadays where you can get these items at a much cheaper rate than what you get at major retailers. I think that it is important to recycle and refurbish as this would also help in preventing wastage.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2015, 11:01:59 AM »
Everything you can, except for a car-seat.  Seriously.

Most clothing lasts only a short time (sometimes less than 3 months), so that's the most important thing to get used. 

Look for both hand-me-downs from friends and consignment stores.

If you do end up going with new furniture, look at Ikea.  They have really good kids stuff that can be cheaper than used brand-name stuff.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2015, 11:40:19 AM »
Yea, my wife had the breast pump covered by insurance. They shipped it fast and we got it yesterday. Of course, it's some no-name brand pump that I ended up finding on Amazon and it had 2 favorable 5-star reviews and a 1-star review complaining about how it didn't work at all. The 2 favorable 5-star reviews were lengthy and included pictures, as well as a comment at the bottom of the review "This review was written in exchange for a free product" - *facepalm*

It *looks* nice but we won't know till she actually tries it. So we added a Medela pump to our registry as well, along with a bunch of other stuff (esp car seat/stroller). My wife is having a baby shower so we'll probably get some stuff. Whatever we can't get off the registry we'll just look for used, or as pass-me-downs from my brothers/sils or friends. My wife already got a bunch of maternity clothes from her friends. And we've already gotten some pass-me-down excess baby stuff from others. My brother gave us a crib and cosleeper as well. Ugh, our place is starting to fill up with baby stuff. Clothes shouldn't be an issue either because I only have nephews, and we're having a boy...LOL! Sorry mom (she really wants a girl)!

Either way, I need to keep a good up a cadence on getting rid of more of my own stuff/junk that I've accumulated.

No need for a changing table.

If you can get one for free or very cheap, however, I would recommend them, especially if you have any sort of lower back problems. Leaning over to change a newborn 10+ times a day can be murder of your back. I got a table free for my second and third children, and it has been great.

Regarding the used breast pump, it is absolutely improbable to me that milk could infiltrate the Medela pump and cause a problem. I used a pump that was handed down at least three times. Don't let the threat on the pump about a voided warranty scare you. You can buy a used pump and be fine, but with the ACA, you don't need to. Get your OB to write you a prescription and insurance should pay the bulk. In May when I gave birth to my third, I got a brand new pump in style for a $25 "shipping fee."

Also, as a side note- if you work in a corporate environment, the other moms might inundate you with their awesome used stuff- don't buy anything until after the baby is born.

Frugal Father

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2015, 12:47:29 PM »
For toys I would say to go even further. Only buy a few used toys (if any). You're child will be just as happy playing with the empty pasta box and the spoon from the kitchen as he will with purchased toys. Probably about 2/3 of our child's toys were selected from things around the house. You just have to be a little creative.

Disclaimer: I can't speak to older children as ours is currently 10 months old. He's nowhere near the point where he would be able to tell if a toy was purchased or came from a drawer in the kitchen.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 07:07:22 PM »
The only items I would not buy used are a car seat and breast pump. Otherwise used is fine. And a lot of "must have" baby stuff turns out to be excess junk. Pack n play comes immediately to mind. They also grow and change so fast in the first year that expensive stuff isn't worth it.  Such as the exersaucer.  Costly, highly useful, but only for about 4 to 5 months. Try to borrow one from a friend or get one at a garage sale.

My kids favorite toys were a metal bowl full or water on the tile flood and a big plastic spoon. Kid two loved Thomas trains.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2015, 08:13:05 PM »
Borrow or buy used as much as you can except for specific items many posters mentioned - car seats, bottles, etc.  As the baby gets a bit older many items around the house become great toys.  Our kids loved wooden spoons, metal bowls, empty oatmeal and bread crumb containers that they used as drums and on and on.  Save your money for when they get older and out grow their shoes every month!

hope2retire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 08:43:20 PM »
Congratulations.....
Almost everything, except crib mattress and anything that you put in the baby's mouth by choice. car seat, changing table etc can be bought used. almost all car seat covers are removable and washable. Most of the car seats have basic construction, and they just have belts that hold the baby in place. Just for you to feel comfortable, if you are buying a used car seat, you can always look at the manufacturer stamp, which has the manufactured date. So you can buy a 1 year old car seat. make sure the belts are all looking fine. Else for the peace of mind, just buy a new one

For the used toys (which eventually all the babies will have a taste of it, just wash, wipe it with clorox wipes and dry it in the sun. After sun drying, a final wipe with baby wipes and air dry.

As someone suggested..don't buy too many toys....you will amazed at how mundane of the things in the world can keep a toddler occupied and happy for a long time..and all of them are pretty smart in spotting them around the house and not bother you....Only problem is they may not part with the only pen around the house  when you need to sign a check...:) or know if it a junk mail or car title, both gets the same treatment.

They grow so fast, that you will literally notice change before and after shower :) and the clothes fit differently before and after dinner. Buys a size or two bigger, since the clothes shrink due to washing/drying and the kids grow faster. Wish someone told me all these.

H2R

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2015, 09:51:53 AM »
The only items I would not buy used are a car seat and breast pump. Otherwise used is fine. And a lot of "must have" baby stuff turns out to be excess junk. Pack n play comes immediately to mind. They also grow and change so fast in the first year that expensive stuff isn't worth it.  Such as the exersaucer.  Costly, highly useful, but only for about 4 to 5 months. Try to borrow one from a friend or get one at a garage sale.

My kids favorite toys were a metal bowl full or water on the tile flood and a big plastic spoon. Kid two loved Thomas trains.

Our friends who are staying with us this wknd offered to let us have/borrow their exersaucer. So good to hear about that. She said it's definitely useful for keeping them occupied for short periods of time. My brother has a ton of Thomas the train toys for his two boys so we might be able to get some from him.... they have a ton of toys in general though.

Re Pack n Play, can those multi-use cosleeper pens that look like pack n plays just be used as a pack n play? We got one from my brother and it can be used as a 'playpen' which looks exactly like a pack n play but also can be used as a cosleeper (just have to adjust the height of the support bars, etc)