Author Topic: Best tasting/healthy veggie burgers  (Read 4041 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
Best tasting/healthy veggie burgers
« on: March 25, 2016, 09:30:46 AM »
I am on a mission to find new lunch items I can bring to work that are inexpensive and healthy.

I've tried the Marsala veggie burgers that are Trader Joe's brand and like the taste, but I feel like there are too many potatoes in them (trying to watch my carb intake).

Any recommendations on good tasting, healthy veggie patties?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Best tasting/healthy veggie burgers
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 09:33:18 AM »
why not make them yourself to suit whatever dietary categories and flavor profiles you are going for?

buying pre-made stuff is rarely the most flavorful, healthy or economic way to go.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 09:38:54 AM »
If you're trying to avoid carbs, veggie burgers are really not the way to go since the majority of them are made with beans if they're not made with soy.

Miskatonic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 10:04:20 AM »
If you go the homemade route, give wild rice burgers a try. Here is my go-to recipe. So delicious, and you can tweak it to your heart's content. I usually skip the celery unless I happen to have some on hand, and I just eyeball the spices (this usually means extra cayenne pepper for me).

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 10:56:43 AM »
Chipotle sweet potato burgers are pretty tasty: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/05/chipotle-sweet-potato-burgers/

Civex

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 04:34:07 PM »
I really like black bean burgers; they use black beans and vital wheat gluten.

http://hubpages.com/food/Best-Ever-Black-Bean-Burgers

We also really like beat burgers.

http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/quarter-pounder-beet-burger/

I've had a lot of success making large batches of bean burgers and freezing them. They seem to microwave well.

kazakthedog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 04:42:57 PM »
Don Lee Farms has a great veggie burger available at Costco. Meat eaters and vegetarians have told me this is the best veggie patty they've had.

Ingredients: organic quinoa cooked in water, organic carrots, organic wheat flour, organic kale, organic almonds, organic onion, organic soybean oil, sea salt, organic garlic, organic spices.

I don't recall the price exactly, but it wasn't bad. The same brand makes a black bean and a sweet potato version, which I have not tried, so make sure you get the quinoa/kale one. :)

zsmith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 05:00:37 PM »
I love these black bean sliders! No need to do all the extra condiments.

http://chefchloe.com/recipes/entrees/mexicali-sliders.html

mountains_o_mustaches

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 10:16:37 AM »
Morning Star Garden Veggie burgers are really tasty - they also make a tasty black bean burger (forgetting the exact name).  They're both vegetarian - not vegan - if that makes a difference (contain eggs).  Not sure about carb count because it's not something I track.  I also second the ideas about homemade - although a lot of the recipes I see use a decent amount of bread crumbs for filler (although with the paleo diet fad I'm sure you could find some stellar low-carb recipes).  Good luck!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 10:38:37 AM »
My favorite is Morningstar Farms Mediterranean Chickpea burgers, you could probably recreate them by tweaking a falafel recipe.

mucchad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 10:44:03 AM »
+1 for Don Lee Farms veggie burger at Costco

freeat57

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 03:20:16 PM »
Last summer, the Taunton magazine "Fine Cooking" had an article on veggie burgers.  It's worth a look.

http://www.finecooking.com/search?cx=009096020989677304441%3Akkzh0x3f3yc&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=veggie+burger

Jschange

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 04:00:47 PM »
If you eat gluten, veganomicon's chickpea cutlets

If you're more into sweet potato carbs than potato carbs, smush a roughly equal amount of steamed sweet potato and drained black beans, add a seed or chopped nut of choice, chia seeds are great to keep the texture after storing, season with your chosen flavor profile (add tamari or nutritional yeast for umami), and pan fry for best results, grill or bake for also delicious results.

Thank you for helping me choose my lunch for the week