Author Topic: Best stroller for travel/vacation/plane?  (Read 2967 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Best stroller for travel/vacation/plane?
« on: June 04, 2016, 05:36:05 PM »
Hey all,

Looking for recommendations on a cheap and lightweight umbrella stroller that's sturdy and rugged (good for planes, travel, etc). My wife is pretty set on wanting to bring one for Hawaii especially so she won't need to carry the kid for extended periods or when he needs to nap while we're out...

Was looking at this one - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kolcraft-Cloud-Umbrella-Stroller-Black/38542557

Any other suggestions?

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
Re: Best stroller for travel/vacation/plane?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 06:21:30 PM »
I have one from Walmart that was $5 cheaper than the one you are looking at.  Probably because it doesn't have a cup holder.

We have used it on 2 RT plane trips and love it.  It is very light weight and easy to get through the security lines.  It fits in ever rental car without taking too much space. The only thing about ours that I don't like is it doesn't recline, so the baby cannot be laid down in the stroller if she falls asleep.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 06:00:24 AM by MrsDinero »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 05:19:23 AM »
If you're planning to have your kid nap while you're out, consider buying one that reclines. I have the Maclaren Quest Sport.

If you just need it for a short vacation to Hawaii, do you have friends who can loan you a stroller?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 10:15:48 PM »
I have one from Walmart that was $5 cheaper than the one you are looking at.  Probably because it doesn't have a cup holder.

We have used it on 2 RT plane trips and love it.  It is very light weight and easy to get through the security lines.  It fits in ever rental car without taking too much space. The only thing about ours that I don't like is it doesn't recline, so the baby cannot be laid down in the stroller if she falls asleep.

I looked at some $20 Cosco strollers at Target today but the plastic-wheels concern me. I think I've read reviews elsewhere about these cheapo umbrella strollers with plastic wheels slipping and sliding all over the place on tile or at places like the mall, etc. Is this a legit concern?

If you're planning to have your kid nap while you're out, consider buying one that reclines. I have the Maclaren Quest Sport.

If you just need it for a short vacation to Hawaii, do you have friends who can loan you a stroller?

Wow, that is a pricey stroller! Are there other 'budget' strollers that can recline? I'll ask my brother or sister in law if they might have an umbrella stroller we could borrow - I feel like they have a lot but they may have given some away.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 06:06:19 AM »
It is pricey, if you buy it new. I got it used for $20 from a friend who was getting rid of stuff. But we have no car and use the stroller almost every day, which is how I know having a reclining one is very helpful if you want baby to sleep in it. Otherwise, baby kind of curls over him/herself and it looks rather uncomfortable, or ends up leaning the side of his/her face against the metal frame, and every time you go over a bump or slightly uneven pavement, their head bangs against the frame.

There are several in the $50-70 range on the Walmart website that reclines. It doesn't have to go down completely flat. Have you checked Craigslist as well?

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 06:08:18 AM »

I looked at some $20 Cosco strollers at Target today but the plastic-wheels concern me. I think I've read reviews elsewhere about these cheapo umbrella strollers with plastic wheels slipping and sliding all over the place on tile or at places like the mall, etc. Is this a legit concern?

Wow, that is a pricey stroller! Are there other 'budget' strollers that can recline? I'll ask my brother or sister in law if they might have an umbrella stroller we could borrow - I feel like they have a lot but they may have given some away.

We haven't had a problem with it.  We use it several times a week and have even taken it "off roading" on smooth enough dirt paths. 

Look to see if there are any second hand children stores near you.  I see reclining strollers all the time at the one near me. 

abhe8

• Bristles
Best stroller for travel/vacation/plane?
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 06:38:12 AM »
I agree with the recline. I also have a MacLaren quest. I paid $15 for it on cl. I'd check there first.

SimplyMarvie

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 08:12:57 AM »
Whatever you get, make sure that fully folded down, it will fit through the smallest domestic X-ray machines -- this probably means having a fabric seat rather than a molded one.

(We tried to fly with our Graco stroller when the eldest was a baby and we were Noobs at the airplanes-with-kids game. We insisted it wouldn't fit through the scanner and the TSA agent said that it would and pushed it through. It got stuck halfway through, shutting down the entire security line for an hour while they tried to get it out. Don't be that guy!)