Author Topic: Best stationary bike to purchase?  (Read 8216 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
Best stationary bike to purchase?
« on: January 02, 2014, 05:10:42 PM »
I am pretty seriously considering getting a stationary bike. I have wanted to exercise for a... long time and not gotten to it and recently realized a stationary bike would be a great way to do so (I like biking, just live in a crappy environment for it much of the year and want to be able to do something in my home, consistently).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good mustachian one to purchase? Craigslist was a strike out and I've no idea what a good price range is. Should I just go to Walmart and buy a cheap one? Or is this something worth several hundred on?

schimt

• Bristles
Re: Best stationary bike to purchase?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 06:10:16 PM »

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 06:34:04 PM »
Check craigslist.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 06:41:10 PM »
may also want to consider getting a bike stand/trainer for your bike that you already have

I second this.  Just did 85 minutes on mine today.  I have had this trainer for many years now.  Reasonably priced, and is easy to store.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 06:51:26 PM »
+1 for a trainer to hook up to the bike you already have. less expensive, smaller, less to break... win all around IMO

although really I'd try and enjoy exercising outdoors in the crappy weather if you can (maybe not necessarily biking), but that's just me. consider it a mild facepunch

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 07:13:23 PM »
Decent used exercise bikes with digital controls and programmable workouts can be had from CL for about $100.  At that price, you'll be hard pressed to find a decent trainer stand for an existing bike.  And stationary stands for regular bikes will eat your tires, too, so you typically have to buy a separate trainer tire and then deal with changing it every season.

Of course, this is the absolute worst time of year to be buying exercise equipment on CL (or elsewhere), as everyone is buying due to New Year's resolutions.  We're using this opportunity to sell a spare weight bench, and I fully expect a New Years premium for it for this very reason.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 07:43:34 PM »
I've had a few over the years.  I would recommend getting a cheap one until you know that you are really into it.  I used a cheap one from Sears for almost 10yrs before it broke.  If Craigslist is a bust, see if there are any used sporting goods stores around. My mom got her bike at one for $25. 

If you are in wisconsin, let me know....I have one I'll give you for free.

tomytay90

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 01:54:37 AM »
I am pretty seriously considering getting a stationary bike. I have wanted to exercise for a... long time and not gotten to it and recently realized a stationary bike would be a great way to do so (I like biking, just live in a crappy environment for it much of the year and want to be able to do something in my home, consistently).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good mustachian one to purchase? Craigslist was a strike out and I've no idea what a good price range is. Should I just go to Walmart and buy a cheap one? Or is this something worth several hundred on?

It's a god decision to start exercising and stationary bikes are really a good source for starting and helps you to maintain your physique. I have been riding this stationary bike which I got from spinning.com and it has been 2 years since I have been riding.
It includes various features like, it tells the RPM, the heart rate, calories burned and this way I am able to figure out how much weight I have lost and this has been helpful to all my family members. All the best for your new year resolution :) Hope it makes you more fit and healthy.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 05:51:56 AM »
Bike outside.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 06:11:09 AM »
I've had a few over the years.  I would recommend getting a cheap one until you know that you are really into it.  I used a cheap one from Sears for almost 10yrs before it broke.  If Craigslist is a bust, see if there are any used sporting goods stores around. My mom got her bike at one for $25. 

If you are in wisconsin, let me know....I have one I'll give you for free.

Close, Iowa... lol :) I'm definitely hoping to get a cheaper one first for this reason. I just had no idea of the price variation on something like this, though I guess I should have expected it.

Do any of you read or watch TV/listen to music while biking? I'm relatively optimistic I will be able to do this.

It's a god decision to start exercising and stationary bikes are really a good source for starting and helps you to maintain your physique. I have been riding this stationary bike which I got from spinning.com and it has been 2 years since I have been riding.
It includes various features like, it tells the RPM, the heart rate, calories burned and this way I am able to figure out how much weight I have lost and this has been helpful to all my family members. All the best for your new year resolution :) Hope it makes you more fit and healthy.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear a success story here.

+1 for a trainer to hook up to the bike you already have. less expensive, smaller, less to break... win all around IMO

although really I'd try and enjoy exercising outdoors in the crappy weather if you can (maybe not necessarily biking), but that's just me. consider it a mild facepunch

Well the only actual bike I have right now is a bike I've had since 6th grade. It works... but is not something which is overly comfortable for this now 25 year old :)

I appreciate the facepunch. My main motivation for getting something which is indoors is maintaining consistency. I want to be able to set a schedule and be able to achieve it every week, without fail. When you live in the midwest, ice/snow wreck those sorts of plans for outdoors. My past experience with exercising is that this sort of inconsistency is detrimental to me actually being able to do something long term.

ie I want to be able to say, 5:00-5:30am Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday I will bike regardless of weather. For a while I suspect this is going to be the only way I can maintain doing anything however. Is it pathetic? Somewhat, probably, but I'm trying to do something which takes that into consideration.

Bike outside.

I suspect if I end up using this as I plan I will buy a better outdoors bike come warmer months.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 06:11:58 AM »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 08:56:51 AM »
It's a god decision to start exercising

Hallelujah!!  ;-)

TrMama

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 10:00:14 AM »
I have a bike trainer (basically a stand that turns my regular bike into a stationary bike) and used it when I wanted to exercise, but didn't have childcare for my young kids. Yes, you'll need music/videos/something to distract you. I love these ones:

http://www.thesufferfest.com/

The kids used to join me on their bikes and we'd race through the Alps together.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 10:17:20 AM »
I purchased a nice Johnny G Spinning bike a few years ago off of CL... I looked at wal mart and other such places but the bikes were cheap and flimsy junk. I just kept checking and one day stumbled upon a sweet deal. A personal trainer was upgrading so had this one for sale. I drove an hour and purchased it for $70.00

It is a very heavy duty, solidly built bike. I don't think that I could break it even if I tried. The deals are out there...

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 11:07:07 AM »
None!

This:
Bike outside.

I also live in a cold (and icy) place, and although I generally ride outside year-round, I ride a trainer on individual days when that's not safe or practical, which may mean that even if I could "ride" outside, I couldn't ride my intended workout outside on that day. I have no desire to ride in my garage more than necessary, but a trainer has its place. And I like a trainer more than a "stationary bike" because my fit stays the same.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:08:42 AM by Undecided »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 11:12:30 AM »
I just did 90 minutes on my bike trainer.  Watched a DVD (Inspector Lynley) for about 50 minutes, then listened to music.  I have a playlist and change gears if necessary so that my cadence matches the beat.  That way, I can change up my intensity every 3 - 4 minutes or so.  Fun!