Author Topic: Best smartphone for the various carriers  (Read 2928 times)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Best smartphone for the various carriers
« on: August 31, 2016, 09:50:25 PM »
This is more of a question to a specific user which I dont remember his nickname correctly... IP something ...

I am looking for a phone that could work on various carriers. I want to try ringplus and or freedom pop but have the flexibility to have GSM in case they dont work right.

I thought of maybe buying the Nexus 5X since my current phone cannot be repaired (the sim slot chip reader is damaged on the main board).

I know the Nexus 5X US Version is compatible with all carriers... but it pains me to pay 399 USD right now when I know there have been lower prices.

The problem is, i need a phone right now since i have no other phones working currently.

So my plan is.... either someone getting a good and nice unlocked phone that would work through several carriers (i like google vanilla phones... usually i carry them with me for 4+ years or more)

Or I thought of maybe just bitting the bullet and buying it from Google with a credit card that gives me price protection. Both my Discover, Chase and Citicards give me 90 day price protection.

90 days would give me protection until November 31st/30th and most likely there will be several prices cuts by then with BF deals and the launch of new nexus ... What do you guys think? Would this be the better approach?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Best smartphone for the various carriers
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:56:54 PM »
If you're sold on the 5X and having a phone that has a shoehorned fractal antenna supporting too many LTE frequencies with mediocre reception into one device so you can activate it on any of the big four carriers, then that's what you're going to have to buy. Maybe consider used/refurbished instead if the (quite unreasonable) price is putting you off.

This said, if you're seriously only wanting to do this so you can bail out for the GSM MVNO pastures (excuse Google Fi's schitzophrenic T-Mobile/VoLTE service) after trying and potentially failing with the cut-rate Sprint carriers, why do you need Verizon activation support? Pick up a used Nexus 5 instead for a whole lot less.

I really don't have much more to add to this other than words of caution. You apparently already killed one smartphone's SIM slot. Consider how frequently you plan on jockeying SIM cards in the future and the fact that damaging pins on a friction based, side load nano SIM slot on a $400 phone would yield similar results to your current situation. Unfortunately, SIM slots just aren't designed to handle heavy card swapping. As such, factor handset costs along with service cost and carrier quality, and try to just stick with one carrier that will serve you well long term. Odds are, spending a bit more month to month with one provider and not potentially swapping out multiple SIM cards on a regular basis to reduce wear and tear on one of the most expensive mechanical failure points might cost far less money than possibly jockeying between the cheapest deals and having an expensive phone fail prematurely.

I don't know what your past and current setup and usage history looks like, and I don't know what you have planned moving forward... but is is something to consider if it's on your mind. Just like with contract handsets, you should consider the sunk cost of that handset in your monthly service costs across its service life as well if you're going to engage in behaviors that will yield in premature/unnecessary hardware failure.

Saving even ten bucks a month is pretty worthless if it leaves you buying new $400 phones every two years instead of four.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 11:01:33 PM by I.P. Daley »

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 05:07:44 AM »
You say I already killed a Sim socket as if I do it often lol....

In the 25 years that I've had GSM phones with Sim cards this was a first.

Regarding Verizon support I don't need it... So if there's a phone out there without Verizon support but for most other carriers then I'm all hears.

Is  the nexus 5 this talking about the model previous to 5x right?

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 05:11:39 AM »
What happened was I accidentally put the Sim card into the slot without the adapter so the Sim for stuck. While trying to remove the Sim from the slot one of the pins was probably broken by the tweezers

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 05:52:31 AM »
Yes, Nexus 5 is still an excellent, unlocked cross-carrier phone. The 5X has some newer physically widgets and minor hardware upgrades. (I use a 6, not to be confused with the 6P, which goes for a hair over $200 on eBay.) You could also consider the 2015 Moto G for about the same price or a little less. I also recommend the 2015 Moto X Pure, which is a high end phone you can get for $240-300 depending on the weather and day of week. (My wife just got one, and two friends did based on my recommendation. The one had popped up on sale for $250 w/ 32GB.)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 08:34:14 AM »
Since Neo already covered the Nexus 5 question for you...

You say I already killed a Sim socket as if I do it often lol....

In the 25 years that I've had GSM phones with Sim cards this was a first.

Actually, no I didn't. What I did do is point out that depending on your SIM card habits, your first broken SIM slot might not be your last if you do a lot of SIM jockeying. The mechanical design of SIM card holders on phones has changed radically (for the worse, IMHO) on modern smartphones where space is at a premium. The old 2FF clip style? Reasonably robust... but any slot load, click-and-friction contact style SIM slot, especially a 4FF nano SIM slot, is going to be pretty delicate and not designed to frequently swap SIM cards. Since your current SIM slot is buggered and the only way you can bend/break those pins is while installing/removing a SIM card... I felt it prudent to state what I did given you're looking to purchase a $400 smartphone who's SIM slot is most likely going to be even more delicate than your last one.

Flimsy design with low mechanical MTTF (mean time to failure) and planned obsolescence stuff are the norm these days, not the exception. Operate accordingly.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:37:58 AM by I.P. Daley »

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 08:35:56 AM »
Would those be cross carrier as well? I'll take a look at them thanks

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 08:48:49 AM »
Would those be cross carrier as well?

Yes, but Sprint activation will likely be quirky and frustrating.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 07:52:11 PM »
ended up buying a nexus 5 for about 85 usd ! performance should be similar to my One Plus which i am very happy with...