Author Topic: best site for online glasses?  (Read 4824 times)

FLA

• Pencil Stache
best site for online glasses?
« on: August 27, 2016, 01:25:56 PM »
I just had eye surgery that brought me down from a -20 to a -6 and gave me 20/25 vision.  I am ecstatic.  I am now back to a prescription strength that can be fulfilled online.  Previously, the lenses alone for my glasses were $1800!  I used Zenni 10 yrs ago with good results but am not up to date on who provides the best deal.  Any suggestions?

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
Re: best site for online glasses?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »
I have been very happy with the  cost and quality of Zenni.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 04:03:30 PM »
We've also been happy with Zenni.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 04:50:54 PM »
I e been using Zenni for seven or eight years now and remain quite happy with them. Congratulations on the surgery!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 06:06:19 PM »
thanks everyone!

sideways

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 07:19:58 PM »
I got some astoundingly cheap (like $11 shipped) wireframe glasses from Zenni, an outstanding bargain. I then got some $38 prescription sunglasses from Zenni, but was disappointed in their quality (lenses weren't seated evenly). I also got some $19 frames with fancy Transitions lenses from EyeBuyDirect, and was really pleased. Those are my daily glasses.

I think frame and build quality is a bit of a crapshoot, but the prescription has always been perfect.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 08:09:41 PM »
I just had eye surgery that brought me down from a -20 to a -6 and gave me 20/25 vision.

-20 is intense! The wife and I are around -10 in each eye, and rarely meet anyone with much worse. Congrats on the successful surgery!  :)

What type of eye surgery was it?

+1 to Zenni Optical.  Costs a bit if your prescription is bad, but still much cheaper than most anywhere else. 
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 11:52:24 AM »

What type of eye surgery was it?

one eye had a detached retina repaired and I was told I would never see out of the center of my eye.  I had a cataract after the retina problem and had a new lens put in, it was supposed to bring me to a -10 and instead made the problem worse and made me a -20.  So then ten yrs later I got a cataract in my right eye, saw a different surgeon who was able to put a piggyback lens in the bad eye and a new lens in the cataract eye.  I now see out of the center of the bad eye, I am AMAZED! 

thanks for all the advice, everyone

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 05:34:56 PM »
I use 39dollarglasses.com, only because when I *first* went to order glasses online, Zenni website was down.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 09:39:56 PM »
We like Zenni better than 39dollarglasses.com.... mainly for more stylish frames, but be careful if you have a wide head, many zenni frames are a bit narrow.

I find that the frames / glasses from Zenni last about 2 years... ones bought in the office last me about 4 years...

We have purchased about 10 glasses from one of these sites, and our self measured pupil distance was accurate when we later were measured in office...

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 09:32:32 AM »
I'm having a hard time finding glasses small enough, I guess I have a small head.  The big frames in style now are way outside my measurements. I found one narrow pair on Zenni but for $120, I don't love them.

AshStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 09:33:18 AM »
Another +1 for Zenni. I wear rimless glasses and have found a style at Zenni that is a great fit for my head. I have two pairs of Rx sunglasses from 39dollarglasses that are still going strong after 3 years.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 09:38:28 AM »
I've been happy with purchases from Zenni.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 10:49:08 AM »
has anyone done Costco? I hear they are great for glasses.  But the closest one is 80 miles.  I wouldn't mind going once and maybe they would mail the glasses.  But they probably want to see them on you.  IDK...

AshStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 11:20:28 AM »
For what it's worth re: Costco, my mom looked there for some glasses last week and ended up finding frames she liked better for less money from Warby Parker (they will send you frames to try if you don't have one near you). She has a somewhat complicated Rx so other online glasses vendors don't work for her.

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 11:23:59 AM »
I have had good success with Zenni optical

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 12:20:53 PM »
For what it's worth re: Costco, my mom looked there for some glasses last week and ended up finding frames she liked better for less money from Warby Parker (they will send you frames to try if you don't have one near you). She has a somewhat complicated Rx so other online glasses vendors don't work for her.

thanks

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 02:54:15 PM »
EyeBuyDirect.com are who I use now. Was ok with Zenni, and Clearly Contacts before them.