Author Topic: Best place to sell old mountain bike?  (Read 882 times)

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
Best place to sell old mountain bike?
« on: March 16, 2023, 09:18:25 AM »
1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex, original owner.
I'm well versed in ebay, is there another resource that is more velo-centric that I should check out?

Extramedium

• Stubble
Re: Best place to sell old mountain bike?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 12:00:31 PM »
I've sold bikes easily on a local FB group.  Also, Pinkbike is useful.  And The Pro's Closet (though mostly high-end).

And this article could be helpful:

https://mbaction.com/tips-on-buying-selling-used-bikes/

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 12:11:38 PM »
I've had good luck with FB marketplace, and Pink Bike for more expensive bikes.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 06:27:56 AM »

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 09:52:15 AM »
I successfully sold my kids' bike on Facebook Marketplace - it was snapped up within minutes so I probably left money on the table. On the other hand, the bike had been lying in our garage for years so I was just glad to see it go.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 11:50:29 AM »
Thanks all, Pink Bike looks like the site I was looking for. I don't do FB.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 11:15:36 PM »
Facebook Marketplace.  A friend just asked me the exact same question when selling his old 90’s mountain bike, this is the advice I gave him, and it sold instantly for more than he expected.  Clean it really well, take extremely nice photos of it and ask a fairly specific price on the high side, in his case $235 instead of $200 or $250, a more specific price give the appearance of specific value. 

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 05:22:06 PM »
I also don't do Facebook but tried Pink bikes and some other places beside eBay to get an idea what price I should ask and it's pretty all over the place. Anywhere from $500 to $1200. Figured it would average much lower for a "vintage" bike but it still has original components so I guess that ups the price. Have a friend who wants it for around $500 so that who I'll go with. That was my first mtb so I'm kind of attached but won't be using it any longer.

I remember those Bianchi's from that time period, that's when I started getting into mt biking, I had a Stumpjumper. The Rocky Mt was a big upgrade. I paid over $2000, in '96!
My first Mt bike was in '86, it was a Fuji, and I hated it and got a road bike. But I came from the BMX world, so the early mt bikes I thought were a joke. Way too heavy. BMX bikes were far superior then.
Speaking of BMX bikes, poking around Pink Bike and seeing the prices for vintage BMX I was really wishing I still had my Mongoose, Race Inc, Robinson, and PK Ripper-I'd make bank!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!