Author Topic: Best Place to Sell DVDs?  (Read 11220 times)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
Best Place to Sell DVDs?
« on: June 02, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »
I have a bunch of DVD and TV shows that I don't ever watch anymore, and I'd really love to not have to lug them to the new apartment when I move at the end of the month.  I've never used Ebay or Craigslist to sell something, and I'm concerned I may not be able to offload them on such short notice.  Plus I worry about the sketchiness of CL, and the time spent responding to questions, people making offers who aren't serious, etc.  Am I better off selling to FYE or similar type store?  I know I probably won't get as much for them, but space and speed are a consideration here.

Any options I'm missing?  Other thoughts?

wonderjunkie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Best Place to Sell DVDs?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 01:16:28 PM »
I've used Decluttr for quickly selling CDs and DVDs before a move. They have an app for scanning the barcodes on your items, so you'll know ahead of time exactly what you'll receive, and you get paid quickly.

http://www.decluttr.com/

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 01:28:26 PM »
We have two options in our large city: a place called Movie Exchange and a chain called Half Price Books (which does buy books, movies, VHS, CDs and even vinyl). First one gives better offers, but is much more selective. Second gives very little (they do sell things for half price or less off, so they can't offer much). Walk out with cash and any discards I feel might still be worth something I take to the local library.

If you live in a reasonable sized town/city, you likely still have something similar.

I don't sell on Craigslist because it's too dangerous in my city (string of armed holdups and even assaults from Craigslist over the stupidest things).

I'm not into selling things online because it's a super hassle for me to go through and price each thing, then print out shipping labels, assemble packing, and drop for mailing. Sounds like too much time for me to waste. Instead, I take in a large bin of books/movies when I know I have other errands in the area. Go browse or sit and read/play on my phone while they cull through to get a price, and then move on to next errand.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 01:34:15 PM »
donate to Goodwill - take the tax break - celebrate the freedom!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 02:02:29 PM »
Half Price Books was pretty good for me.  I brought in a truckload of books/DVDs/BDs/video games worth probably $250 and they gave me $120 I think.  Well worth the non-hassle of needing to individually sell everything (I did remove the particularly valuable ones first and sell those on my own).

mcneally

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 03:52:16 PM »
2nd Goodwill- if you itemize, take a deduction for the 75 cent fair market value each has.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 04:05:08 PM »
Tax deductions only work if you itemize. I am always amazed when someone on here that suggests this or even mentions the mortgage deduction like it is super obvious - because it is a rarity rather than the norm.

As most folks don't have enough events to qualify for the cherry tax breaks like large families, huge medical expenses or giant mortgages, a few thousand in charitable donations don't help at all as far as making itemizing the best option.

I donate stuff all the time, but it's not beneficial in the least money-wise for me and likely the same story for the majority of folks out there.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 04:07:00 PM by Frankies Girl »

mcneally

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 04:18:09 PM »
I was being facetious in mentioning tax deductibility, hence my mentioning their minuscule value. The point was that unless you're a minimum wage type, it's not worth your time to try extract whatever value you can get from used DVDs, unless we're talking about a Blockbuster sized collection. Just give them away. Put up a free stuff ad on Craigslist and set them by the curb if you don't want to drive to Goodwill.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »
Oh I figured, but thought I'd add my unnecessary 2¢ again. :)

If it is just basic popular stuff or Disney movie level items, I agree to just throw the stuff in a bag and get it priced if you drive by a place that might buy, or donate if it really is just junky stuff.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 09:18:36 AM »
Do they have BuyBacks in your area? They carry used dvds and games. It might be worth it if you have a lot to get rid of.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 04:40:42 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I tried out the declutter site, looks like they're giving significantly smaller payouts than FYE is quoting.  Looks like the nearest Half Price Books is almost an hour away, and we don't seem to have a Movie Exchange.  I'll have to check for any other local places that do buybacks, but surprisingly it looks like FYE might actually have the best prices.

spicykissa

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 07:56:57 AM »
If you shop on Amazon at all, I really like their trade-in program. It will take a little time to plug everything you have into there, but then they e-mail you a UPS label, slap it on a box off stuff, and drop if off. The catch is it is Amazon credit, not actual money. But it's so easy!

Full Beard

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 07:41:16 PM »
I also tried the declutter site.  I think I scanned about 35 DVDs and it was showing a payout of about $5.65.  I'll probably just put an add on Craigslist or the OfferUp app. 

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 08:37:01 PM »
I buy used DVD on Half dot com. You could offer them up here if you feel like shipping.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 11:42:33 AM »
Update: I checked out both declutter and Amazon, and both were offering about 65 c per set.  FYE was offering between $2-3 per set.  I want them out of the house by the end of the week, so I'm going with FYE instead of looking for more local options.  Should be able to drop them at the post office tonight!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  Definitely makes me feel better that I'm getting a pretty good deal. :)

ETA: For whatever it's worth, no I don't itemize deductions, so that was not on the table for me.  I have no mortgage or student loan interest so nowhere near beating standard deductions.  Not that it stops me from donating things - I made a large donation of clothes a few weeks ago - just not things that have decent resale value.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 01:27:51 PM by Raenia »

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 12:15:51 PM »
Tax deductions only work if you itemize. I am always amazed when someone on here that suggests this or even mentions the mortgage deduction like it is super obvious - because it is a rarity rather than the norm.

As most folks don't have enough events to qualify for the cherry tax breaks like large families, huge medical expenses or giant mortgages, a few thousand in charitable donations don't help at all as far as making itemizing the best option.

I donate stuff all the time, but it's not beneficial in the least money-wise for me and likely the same story for the majority of folks out there.
Well.....
https://taxfoundation.org/who-itemizes-deductions/
30% of taxpayers itemize.
Over 75k income, the number is 60% and climbs rapidly.
So, well-informed is well armed.

heaathermiles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 05:11:26 AM »
which is better? KSL Classifieds or offerup apknite?

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2019, 08:54:22 AM »

Well.....
https://taxfoundation.org/who-itemizes-deductions/
30% of taxpayers itemize.
Over 75k income, the number is 60% and climbs rapidly.
So, well-informed is well armed.

Am I reading right that this is for the 2013 tax year? I think PP was referring to the new tax law changes for 2018. So, not quite an apples to apples comparison.

I, too, find it interesting when people spout off the "take the deduction" comment. (I hear this a lot IRL.)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2019, 09:09:57 AM »
I didn't know what FYE was, so I googled it and found this:

"Selling Items to FYE

We are not currently accepting used items on FYE.com, however our sister site, SecondSpin.com will accept items. If you have already placed an order to sell items to us, send them in! We will still process the items and send your payment."

I recently had a garage sale and sold about half of the dvds I put out for $1 each. Not worth the effort, unless you need an excuse to declutter. We made almost $1400, so it was well worth the effort.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!