Author Topic: Best place for a new computer? (Canada)  (Read 2816 times)

AJDZee

• Bristles
Best place for a new computer? (Canada)
« on: May 01, 2014, 05:10:33 PM »
Well, it looks like my PC has kicked the bucket... Looking for a replacement that will do everything i use it for now.

I've had my PC for 6 years now I believe... it's an HP Media Center. I use it hooked up to my TV, I don't have cable. So I stream video constantly from websites and netflix, etc. I don't really do any gaming, or photo editing. Just web browsing, email.
Only must haves are a decent video card to play videos and an audio output to my 5.1 speakers.

I'm tempted to pop over to Futureshop or Best Buy, that's where I've got my last 2 computers, and it's very convenient... but I'm a little more mustachian these days... i know convenience has a price :)  so I wonder, is there a better place to get a computer for a better price/better quality than FS or BB?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Best place for a new computer? (Canada)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:44:59 PM »
Same advice as I've given others around here, same company, different TLD.

Refurbished business-class systems (either Dell or Lenovo preferably, maybe HP - stuff like the Optiplex, ThinkCentre and DCxxxx series), bought through Newegg.

http://www.newegg.ca/Store/RecertifiedStore.aspx?RecertifiedStoreID=33

If the onboard video comes up short (it probably won't - unless you're trying to do 1080p HD video, which I doubt given you're doing online streaming), it'll be easy enough to find a cheap, low wattage add-on video card to stuff in the system.

You shouldn't have to spend more than $250 at the screaming most.

NVDee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »

http://www.ncix.com/

Kinda like a the old "Consumers Distributing" shopping experience but the guys at the stores know their stuff, are super helpful and will help you build the exact computer you want/need.

We got the system we wanted about 50% less than what BB/FS was asking :)

AJDZee

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 09:46:25 AM »
Thanks guys! I've looked into both and will probably get something this weekend.

Cheers!

davo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 10:23:40 PM »
Same advice as I've given others around here, same company, different TLD.

Refurbished business-class systems (either Dell or Lenovo preferably, maybe HP - stuff like the Optiplex, ThinkCentre and DCxxxx series), bought through Newegg.

http://www.newegg.ca/Store/RecertifiedStore.aspx?RecertifiedStoreID=33

If the onboard video comes up short (it probably won't - unless you're trying to do 1080p HD video, which I doubt given you're doing online streaming), it'll be easy enough to find a cheap, low wattage add-on video card to stuff in the system.

You shouldn't have to spend more than $250 at the screaming most.

Thank you! I was able to buy a Refurbished Dell Optiplex 755, Pentium dual-core, 8 MB ram, and 220 GB hard drive for $120!!!! I used my Windows 7 Product Key from the Dell Laptop that died last week. Paired with my LCD TV, this is a great replacement for very little money. My local Goodwill refurbishes equipment that the State of Florida disposes of.

Thank you for the recommendation. I know it's been a year since you posted this, still wanted to say thanks!

Now I can sell off the still working parts from the deceased laptop.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 10:44:33 PM »
Thank you for the recommendation.

No worries, glad to have helped.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!