Author Topic: Best Mustachian Undergraduate Degree?  (Read 26529 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Best Mustachian Undergraduate Degree?
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2012, 07:26:25 AM »
I would argue it's basically irrelevant/immaterial.

I think that's nonsense. The original question asked what undergraduate degree gives the best ROI (assuming $$$).

And, like I said, the question of "Best Mustachian Undergrad Degree" (thread title) is irrelevant and immaterial.  FI is quite easily reached within a decade by any of them.

As others have said, skipping college and getting a trade is the fastest FI route.  But as far as best Mustachian undergrad degree?  Doesn't matter, pick one.

I think the question is more harming than helpful.  If you're picking a degree based on what earns you money fastest, you're asking the wrong question.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2012, 08:19:29 AM »

I think that's nonsense. The original question asked what undergraduate degree gives the best ROI (assuming $$$).

And, like I said, the question of "Best Mustachian Undergrad Degree" (thread title) is irrelevant and immaterial.  FI is quite easily reached within a decade by any of them.

As others have said, skipping college and getting a trade is the fastest FI route.  But as far as best Mustachian undergrad degree?  Doesn't matter, pick one.

I think the question is more harming than helpful.  If you're picking a degree based on what earns you money fastest, you're asking the wrong question.

I still think you are missing the main point here:  "quite easily reached" != "optimal". The original question implied constraints of taking a 4 year undergrad degree and was asking for the degree which gave the best ROI($$$). it wasn't a question of undergrad vs starting a business or trade school or leaving highschool early to work in an oilfield ...

Picking a undergrad degree is a complicated valuation. Personally, earning potential was one of the factors for me and it has worked out quite well. I stick by the assertion that if you are taking an undergrad degree and want to optimize your path to FI/ER your degree choice does matter and there is good advice in this thread for the OP.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2012, 08:30:03 AM »

I agree somewhat and disagree somewhat. How much money you will make is not the only factor you should take into account when choosing a degree. Enjoyment and aptitude are extremely important. However, how much money you will make is an important consideration when choosing a career. As for the "Doesn't matter, pick one" sentiment, I entirely disagree. I have seen too many of my friends spend a lot of time and money getting a degree that is worth very little, and pay for it for the rest of their lives. Yes it may be possible to achieve FI in almost any career, but it is a lot easier in some than in others.

To answer OP's question, I would second the recommendations in this thread for a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) degree. The work is generally challenging and satisfying, and on top of that it pays well.

Personally I chose Electrical Engineering and do not regret that at all. Electrical Engineering is such a broad field that you can do practically anything with it. I now am working as a Software Engineer and enjoying it, and have found very little practical difference between my training and that of a dedicated Computer Science degree. Once you have the base understanding of how things work your success is driven off of your desire to expand you skills and learn new things, not the highly abstract and theoretical knowledge that universities like to dump on you.

Matte

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2012, 09:03:21 AM »
Engineering, anything that leads to oil and gas or energy and power generation.  Another thing to consider are highly technical trades instrumentation is a really good one, more of a field job but not back breaking, probably more like 3/4 inside to be honest.  Professional engineering is good too.

skarn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2012, 10:19:07 AM »
This might be irrelevant as the top 1% are not necessarily FI, but the gist of this thread reminded me of this post

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/18/what-the-top-1-of-earners-majored-in/

cbr shadow

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »
The best degree I know of is what my wife got.  It's a business degree called O.M.I.S.  Operations Management and Information Systems.  It's half business half IT.  Her sister also got this degree and now makes $175k at 32 yrs old.  My wife makes $100k at 28 yrs old.  School debt was paid off almost immediately after getting her first job (had a job lined up a month before graduating!).  I have an Industrial Technology degree which is a branch of the Engineering program at NIU (but much easier) and I found a job immediately after school which pays reasonably well I think ($54k).  If I could do it over again I'd get the same degree as my wife, or else a computer science degree.

I think the trick is to get into a good field (STEM) and also not overpay on your degree.  My wife, her sister, and I all sent to Northern Illinois University which was very inexpensive relative to the price of other schools.  We paid $7,000 / year.  I always hear about people not being able to get a job when they get out of school but then I find out they went to NYU for an art degree and now owe $200,000 and dont have any income.  Dont put yourself in that situation.

We also both worked during school and were frugal the entire time, which helped with not racking up a ton of student loans.  It's hard to watch my friends in school using extra loan money on $3000 Apple laptops knowing they'll probably end up paying $5000 for that laptop over the next 20 years. 

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2012, 03:07:55 PM »
The best degree I know of is what my wife got.  It's a business degree called O.M.I.S.  Operations Management and Information Systems.  It's half business half IT.  Her sister also got this degree and now makes $175k at 32 yrs old.  My wife makes $100k at 28 yrs old.  School debt was paid off almost immediately after getting her first job (had a job lined up a month before graduating!).  I have an Industrial Technology degree which is a branch of the Engineering program at NIU (but much easier) and I found a job immediately after school which pays reasonably well I think ($54k).  If I could do it over again I'd get the same degree as my wife, or else a computer science degree.

My boyfriend has a BBA in Information Systems, so very similar to this program. He made $45k his first year out of school in rural WV, and is at $75k this year. (3.5 years experience) He went to a cheap in state public school, but on top of that did 2 years of high school at our local community college (free) and graduated with only 2 years at his 4 year university. Needless to say, we're paying off my student loans, not his...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 05:09:51 PM »
I still think you are missing the main point here:  "quite easily reached" != "optimal". The original question implied constraints of taking a 4 year undergrad degree and was asking for the degree which gave the best ROI($$$). it wasn't a question of undergrad vs starting a business or trade school or leaving highschool early to work in an oilfield ...

Which, again, I believe is asking the wrong question.

As for the "Doesn't matter, pick one" sentiment, I entirely disagree. I have seen too many of my friends spend a lot of time and money getting a degree that is worth very little, and pay for it for the rest of their lives. Yes it may be possible to achieve FI in almost any career, but it is a lot easier in some than in others.

I think you misinterpret what I'm saying there.  I'm not saying pick one at random.  I'm saying pick one that is right for you, because one degree does not make one more Mustachian than another degree.  The answer to the question in the title of this thread is, IMO, "you can be equally Mustachian with any of them, there is no "Best" Mustachian Degree."

To answer OP's question, I would second the recommendations in this thread for a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) degree. The work is generally challenging and satisfying, and on top of that it pays well.

I find it odd that you purposefully note aptitude and enjoyment in your post, then go on to recommend a STEM degree, which many are unsuited for.

That is why this is a silly question.  What if you are terrible at math and science?

A question of: "how do I hit FI quickest, regardless of other factors" makes sense to ask, even if I think it's a damaging question life-wise.

A question of "what is the best mustachian undergrad degree" just makes no sense.  It depends on you, the individual.

And by promoting the idea that you need a certain degree, it totally undermines what Mustachianism is, IMO.  Plenty of people give the complainypants excuse of not making enough money because they "chose the wrong major" - NO.  Your major is irrelevant to you being Mustachian or not.

Could you have made more money quicker in another field if you were able and willing to do that field?  Sure, and that's true of almost anyone.  Can you not be Mustachian because you didn't get a STEM degree?  Hell no.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

gooeydruid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2012, 06:09:44 PM »
Nursing.  Especially for males.

Great above average income and benefits. 

Look at the demographics of the patients and the nursing profession.  A growth industry for sure.

A portable profession that allows you for relocation and flexibility of full or part-time work in hospitals, clinics, industry, government or education.  Ability to specialize in hospital departments, ie ER, EMERG or OB.. 

Great opportunities for those who are bilingual.

No need for an Ivy League education for access for the best jobs.

Uncle Sam always need nurses, ever watch MASH.  Good way to get your education paid for.

Agreed. I graduated in 2008 and became an ICU nurse, cleared $55-$60k annually for the first 2 years.
About to graduate as a CRNA in 2 weeks and will be pulling $150k annually + bonuses.
Talk about ROI.
If I live as a cheapskate my wife and I could be FI from student loans and mortgage in like 6-7 years tops.
It was a long 7 years and grad school was brutal (& expensive), but all good things take work and sacrifice.

Beyond the pay, the job is awesome. I wake up in the morning looking forward to going into work (well, school, for 2 more weeks). Even if I won the lottery I would still work my day to day job. Can't put a price on doing something you love every day, and getting paid for it.

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2012, 07:17:51 PM »
Which, again, I believe is asking the wrong question.

Alright, I'm not going to flog a dead horse anymore. You can redefine the question as you like. Fortunately, the OP's got some good suggestions to further research in this thread.

I find it odd that you purposefully note aptitude and enjoyment in your post, then go on to recommend a STEM degree, which many are unsuited for.

Silly me, I didn't realize enjoyment and math were mutually exclusive. Also seeing as "sherr" trained as an EE it might not be such an odd recommendation after all!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2012, 08:44:53 PM »
Is it really necessary to go out of your way to be offended? He didn't say that you were lying about enjoying your career. He said that many were unsuited for it. Are you trying to be an ass, or just really obtuse?

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2012, 09:24:20 PM »
Is it really necessary to go out of your way to be offended? He didn't say that you were lying about enjoying your career. He said that many were unsuited for it. Are you trying to be an ass, or just really obtuse?

I'm not offended and neither did I mean to offend anyone (if i did, i'm sorry for that).  I challenged the notion that enjoyment and a STEM degree can't go hand-in-hand in what I thought was a funny way.

In terms of being an "ass" or "obtuse", hmmm neither one, i hope.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2012, 09:32:37 PM »
No,  you're not really either. I just feel like we keep going around on this topic. Yes, plenty of people dislike their field, and plenty of people are in STEM. But since he's one of the ones arguing that there's not a one-size-fits-all approach to education, I'm pretty sure he wasn't saying that STEM is inherently unenjoyable.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2012, 10:33:29 PM »
I love math, science, and technology.  Engineering I can give or take.  In fact, I'd have been a math major if I didn't do Philosophy.  But yes, I'm not arguing that STEM can't be enjoyable, or that people might not be suited for it, or that there can't be a happy intersection in the Venn diagram containing suitability and enjoyment of a STEM degree.

And if this is just targeted at the OP, then specific recommendations could be very appropriate.  But since this thread has over 2,000 views at the time of writing, I just wanted to bring up the counter point that I don't agree that there is a "best" Mustachian degree, or that STEM (or any one particular thing) is appropriate for everyone, and hope that others besides the OP reading this will take encouragement from that rather than discouragement that dozens of posts say STEM is the best Mustachian degree, and they aren't suited for that, so they give up.

And no offense taken, nor intended from me.  :)  I enjoy discussing these things frankly, and appreciate the counter-viewpoints.

It Figures

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2012, 12:25:09 PM »
Since I'm the one who started this thread with my "silly", irrelevant question, maybe I should just remove it from this forum.  I thought this was a place to ask questions of other mustachians.  In the same way you can change the channel when you don't like a tv program, you can also choose to not post an answer if you don't like the question. I apologize to all of those I offended with my apparently irrelevant and silly topic.  But to all of those who took the time to offer their advice and stories, I truly appreciate it. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2012, 12:27:37 PM »
Since I'm the one who started this thread with my "silly", irrelevant question, maybe I should just remove it from this forum.  I thought this was a place to ask questions of other mustachians.  In the same way you can change the channel when you don't like a tv program, you can also choose to not post an answer if you don't like the question. I apologize to all of those I offended with my apparently irrelevant and silly topic.  But to all of those who took the time to offer their advice and stories, I truly appreciate it.

I'm not sure why you're going out of your way to take offense at my comments, especially when the last post from me stated:
And no offense taken, nor intended from me.  :)

You are free to ask any question you'd like.  Apparently though once better not disagree, for risk of offending you.

/eyeroll

It's an interesting topic, like I said, but depends on the person rather than unequivocally stating "this is the best Mustachian degree."  YMMV, and try not to get offended if you don't agree.

It Figures

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2012, 12:34:56 PM »
You win, I've been silenced.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2012, 04:12:11 PM »
OP really showed us by quitting! That's the last time we ever mess with them.

I'm still confused what the offensive part was.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2012, 07:35:49 PM »
Huh, that's too bad.  I'm not sure why my questioning the question was so offensive as well, and I'm sorry it was apparently enough to make the OP quit the forums.

If I offended anyone else, I really didn't intend to, just sharing my opinion on the question, feel free to take it or leave it.

NWstubble

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2012, 12:51:27 AM »
I should add: One of the main reasons I didn't do this is because the following argument was fed to me from all directions as a teenager.

"That's all fine and dandy when you're 20 or 30, but when you get to be 40-60 you're really going to be ruined from doing all that hard labour."

This advice is compelling, as it comes from both the 50 year old white collar guys who clearly are not ruined and affluent, AND from 50 year old blue collar guys who clearly are ruined physically and not quite as affluent ("stay in school, kid")

Neither of them of course consider the Mustachian way. Which if you can somehow start adhering to when you're 18, I feel strongly favours the blue collar route.

I couldn't agree more. I received the same advice from the blue collar old timers and went the college route. However, I am trying to share the way of the mustache with my youngest brother who is just starting out and earning his living with his hands. Given his despise of consumerism and pop culture I think there is hope of proving this theory.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2012, 10:33:27 AM »

If I offended anyone else, I really didn't intend to, just sharing my opinion on the question, feel free to take it or leave it.

My 2 cents, I don't think you were offensive at all. Keep putting out your valuable advice!