Author Topic: Best good value carry on bag  (Read 9286 times)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
Best good value carry on bag
« on: February 07, 2016, 01:12:15 AM »
hi

I am in the market for a new travel backpack/bag and am wanting something that's carry on size. I don't mind spending a bit of extra money if it will last as in the past I have purchased cheaper bags and they have broken or ripped or generally needed to be replaced after a few years, so if anyone has any suggestions on a good bag that would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
Re: Best good value carry on bag
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 02:45:10 AM »
I recommend a timbuk2 bag. The large size messenger bag fits about 2 full outfits, shoes, and a sweater/jacket. I've had mine for 10 years, and it's gone on over 120 flights with me. Not much sign of wear - the velcro still grips, and the clips are going strong. In fact, I just looked and timbuk2 is now making actual luggage. Though, the advantage of the messenger is the lack of internal structure. I've always found a space in the overhead bids, even when roller bags are being turned away.

If you're looking for a actual backpack, with 2 straps, go with Sandpiper of California (SOC) bags. Them things will never die. And you can velcro your name onto them. win-win!

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 02:48:19 AM »
I recommend a timbuk2 bag. The large size messenger bag fits about 2 full outfits, shoes, and a sweater/jacket. I've had mine for 10 years, and it's gone on over 120 flights with me. Not much sign of wear - the velcro still grips, and the clips are going strong. In fact, I just looked and timbuk2 is now making actual luggage. Though, the advantage of the messenger is the lack of internal structure. I've always found a space in the overhead bids, even when roller bags are being turned away.

If you're looking for a actual backpack, with 2 straps, go with Sandpiper of California (SOC) bags. Them things will never die. And you can velcro your name onto them. win-win!

thanks Sailor Sam, it doesnt have to be a backpack just something I can easily carry up stairs and has a shoulder strap. Will check out the timbuk2 and sandpiper of california

SeanMC

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 07:38:04 AM »
It depends on how much stuff you have to carry.

The "weekender" series bag is great: http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101?productid=1370034&rlid=DETAIL_AI

It's probably overkill if you are talking about one or two overnights at most. t is more of a pack if you are going for a full week or even long-term urban backpacking travel.

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 07:58:12 AM »
Airline Carry on:
For clothes/etc, Osprey Shuttle, 22in http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/wheeled_bags/ozone_22__46l.  Love it, small, fits in overhead easily both US domestic and international.

For computer and stuff, Tibuk2 Commute (TSA friendly) http://www.timbuk2.com/commute-tsa-ipad-laptop-messenger-bag-2014/269.html, small

Love 'em both.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 08:02:13 AM »
I love this bag.  Been using it for 3 years and it is a champ.

http://www.meivoyageur.com

Also check out onebag.com for other options and reviews.  That's how I found out about this option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 08:28:32 AM »
Following!

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 08:41:52 AM »
Rick Steves carry on bag. It converts from a knapsack to a regular bag by tucking the straps into a very clever little compartment. Carry on size. Meant for traveling the world, and it has.

CATman

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 10:30:16 AM »
I'm a huge fan of Tom Bihn bags. They cost much more than I would normally spend on a bag, but I travel non-stop for work and they hold up amazing. My recommendation for a good carry-on bag is the Aeronaut 45.

http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/TB0906.html

I've had mine for about 6 months and it's been with me for many thousands of miles, but still looks brand new. They are designed with super smart organization and the material they use is very durable. It's got a strap, top handle and even has backpack straps in a hidden pocket on the back. I also have one of their backpacks that I us for my day to day work and generally anytime I'm doing outdoor activities like hiking. I'm a fan of buying something for life and these definitely appear that they'll fit that bill.

DebtFreeBy25

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 10:36:45 AM »
hi

I am in the market for a new travel backpack/bag and am wanting something that's carry on size. I don't mind spending a bit of extra money if it will last as in the past I have purchased cheaper bags and they have broken or ripped or generally needed to be replaced after a few years, so if anyone has any suggestions on a good bag that would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Do you have a TJ Maxx or Marshalls near you? (They're owned by the same corporation and are essentially the same store.) They carry a variety of quality luggage at discounted prices. I bought a sturdy Ricardo Beverly Hills carry-on there a couple of years ago for $60. There were plenty of other good options at this price point as well.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 10:47:09 AM »
I bought this Larkin back pack last year.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5029-859/boreas-larkin-18-backpack-unisex/

If it is not over stuffed it fits as my small carry-on.
I was looking to optimize, maximize, carry on volume.
It's super light and comfortable.
I haven't traveled enough to say if it is durable.

I use an old flight attendant sized wheelie for my clothes.
I can easily travel 3 weeks with just those two.

I hate checking luggage.

Poeirenta

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 10:48:35 AM »
Eagle Creek brand. My travel pack is 19 years old and going strong.

Candace described it as a Rick Steves bag with the zip-away backpack straps. It also has a tuck-away hip belt, which makes it very comfortable to wear if you are going further than the distance from the airport door to the gate. I actually bought this at his store, but it is made by Eagle Creek. Hopefully the quality is still as good as it was almost 20 years ago.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 10:50:57 AM »
My local goodwill is filled with them. Some are in fine shape, some are broken, but they all sell for under $20.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 12:09:04 PM »
Rick Steves carry on bag. It converts from a knapsack to a regular bag by tucking the straps into a very clever little compartment. Carry on size. Meant for traveling the world, and it has.

I have a Rick Steves carry on that I would be willing to sell. It's good quality but not designed to fit someone over 6' tall. It's literally a pain to use for me.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 01:38:45 PM »
My Chrome Citizen messenger bag has gone with me nearly everywhere for the past 5ish years and shows no signs of slowing down.  It is waterproof and made in the USA - it has just the right amount of compartments for me.  Highly recommend if you are looking to stop buying cheap bags.

mushroom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 02:43:00 PM »
My husband and I went on a round the world trip to 26 countries a few years ago and he still loves his Gregory 40L backpack, still going strong. Perfect size for our trip.  We never had to check bags even on the budget Asian airlines (they tend to be a lot more restrictive about carryon than the U.S. airlines) and it even worked out hiking on the Annapurna Circuit. I had an REI brand backpack that was all right, and he later bought a 75L Osprey for backpacking (camping) that he doesn't like much. If this is one you're going to use frequently, it's worth putting some thought into it - and if you live near REI, you can try out a bunch and get help with fitting even if you decide not to buy it there.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 02:52:42 PM »
Thanks everyone. It would be for longish trips, the upcoming one is 7 weeks in the USA.  I live in Australia so I would have to buy most of these brands online. But thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Will check them out.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 03:05:13 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Tom Bihn bags. They cost much more than I would normally spend on a bag, but I travel non-stop for work and they hold up amazing. My recommendation for a good carry-on bag is the Aeronaut 45.

http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/TB0906.html

I've had mine for about 6 months and it's been with me for many thousands of miles, but still looks brand new. They are designed with super smart organization and the material they use is very durable. It's got a strap, top handle and even has backpack straps in a hidden pocket on the back. I also have one of their backpacks that I us for my day to day work and generally anytime I'm doing outdoor activities like hiking. I'm a fan of buying something for life and these definitely appear that they'll fit that bill.

+1 for Tom Bihn. Pricey, but BIFL. I like my Aeronaut for car travel. For a couple nights, or if you just want a personal item on the plane, I like my Western Flyer. I went from Ohio to Ireland for 11 days carry-on one bag only, and I loved, loved, loved my Tom Bihn TriStar.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 06:08:28 PM »
I'm also shopping for a travel backpack. So many options it's overwhelming.  Tempted to just make do with my classic LL Bean backpack.  I managed two weeks out of it. Why not 2 months? 

Haven't found any good local store or Craigslist options. This thread has some good ideas.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 06:22:18 PM »
Make deal alerts for whatever bags you think you'll buy on slickdeals. Buying quality doesn't mean paying full retail. Slickdeals is a great resource to use to get expensive things super cheap.

SilveradoBojangles

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 06:31:27 PM »
I love my timbuk2 Wingman bag. It works for 3 days or 5 weeks because it has really great pocket organization. I also love the padded laptop compartment. I only travel carry-on, and I've taken that thing to Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Thailand, Vietnam, Australia, and all over Europe. Still looks like new, and I've had it for almost 5 years now. And I would say I'm not particularly easy on my luggage. My only complaint is that it has no hip straps, so when I took it on a 5 day walking trip across Scotland it was hard on my shoulders.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 07:07:10 PM »
I love my timbuk2 Wingman bag. It works for 3 days or 5 weeks because it has really great pocket organization. I also love the padded laptop compartment. I only travel carry-on, and I've taken that thing to Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Thailand, Vietnam, Australia, and all over Europe. Still looks like new, and I've had it for almost 5 years now. And I would say I'm not particularly easy on my luggage. My only complaint is that it has no hip straps, so when I took it on a 5 day walking trip across Scotland it was hard on my shoulders.

does the timbuk2 have a way to lock it? For example put a padlock on the zips? I cant see it properly on the photos.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 07:45:35 PM »
It depends on how much stuff you have to carry.

The "weekender" series bag is great: http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101?productid=1370034&rlid=DETAIL_AI

It's probably overkill if you are talking about one or two overnights at most. t is more of a pack if you are going for a full week or even long-term urban backpacking travel.
I've had an older version of this bag and have used this on 2-4 trips each year for the past 7 years. The trips usually span between 1-4 weeks. It is perfect in size, but sometimes I have really overstuffed it. It easily converts from a backpack to a shoulder bag.  I am happy with this bag. If I take my computer and other electronic gear, I have a separate computer bag.   

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 11:01:34 PM »
I support all the other recommendations for messenger bags.  My last dozen flights or so were with a Mission Workshop Rummy: http://missionworkshop.com/products/bags/messenger/roll_top/medium_rummy.php

I can easily fit 2 to 4 days worth of stuff in there and I love being able to access the content without taking the bag off.  Compared to Chrome and Timbuk2, Mission Workshop bags have very few pockets, which maximizes the usable space in the main cargo area, but could make accessing the content trickier depending on your packing style.  Keep that in mind.  Mission Workshop has the widest and definitely one of the most comfortable shoulder straps on the market.  This is a moot point if you pack light, but it can count for a lot if you carry heavy items.

Suitcases and roller bags would fit more stuff, but they are a pain to carry around town.  Find out how to pack minimal, take advantage of the free shaving supplies at your destination hotel, and embrace the messenger bag!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 11:07:28 PM »
American Tourister.

I have travelled a lot for work, (up to 20 trips per year) and bought one about 2006.   Over time, it looked a bit scruffy and dowdy, so I have bought other bags to replace it.  Everything else has worn out in 1-2 years, and the American Tourister keeps on trucking.

It was not expensive, and definitely not glamourous.\\  It will not die.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 11:47:03 PM »
I support all the other recommendations for messenger bags.  My last dozen flights or so were with a Mission Workshop Rummy: http://missionworkshop.com/products/bags/messenger/roll_top/medium_rummy.php

I can easily fit 2 to 4 days worth of stuff in there and I love being able to access the content without taking the bag off.  Compared to Chrome and Timbuk2, Mission Workshop bags have very few pockets, which maximizes the usable space in the main cargo area, but could make accessing the content trickier depending on your packing style.  Keep that in mind.  Mission Workshop has the widest and definitely one of the most comfortable shoulder straps on the market.  This is a moot point if you pack light, but it can count for a lot if you carry heavy items.

Suitcases and roller bags would fit more stuff, but they are a pain to carry around town.  Find out how to pack minimal, take advantage of the free shaving supplies at your destination hotel, and embrace the messenger bag!

I would prefer a backpack to a messenger bag just incase I have to walk a fair distance, I find messenger bags start to get uncomfortable. I am pretty good at packing light, I did a 6 week holiday with carry on luggage but my bag is falling apart so I am looking for something a bit more lasting

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 12:00:23 PM »

I would prefer a backpack to a messenger bag just incase I have to walk a fair distance, I find messenger bags start to get uncomfortable. I am pretty good at packing light, I did a 6 week holiday with carry on luggage but my bag is falling apart so I am looking for something a bit more lasting

I would then recommend the ebags convertible bags.

rageth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 04:39:17 PM »

Candace described it as a Rick Steves bag with the zip-away backpack straps. It also has a tuck-away hip belt, which makes it very comfortable to wear if you are going further than the distance from the airport door to the gate. I actually bought this at his store, but it is made by Eagle Creek. Hopefully the quality is still as good as it was almost 20 years ago.

+1 on the Eagle Creek. I have an Eagle Creek 65L backpack with detachable regular size backpack.  I've had the large one for 7 years now with MANY international trips and I've used the detachable backpack that came with it daily for work and both show minimal wear and tear.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2016, 04:49:48 PM »

+1 on the Eagle Creek. I have an Eagle Creek 65L backpack with detachable regular size backpack.  I've had the large one for 7 years now with MANY international trips and I've used the detachable backpack that came with it daily for work and both show minimal wear and tear.

thanks there is an Eagle Creek stockist near my place I will go check them out

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 04:57:14 PM »
I have a backpack from Jansport that I have used heavily, nearly daily, since 1993.  It's gone back to them once for zipper replacement (and they did the straps as well)- but that is warrantied and just costs postage.