Author Topic: Best do-it-all road bikes for < $1000?  (Read 3371 times)

The 585

Best do-it-all road bikes for < $1000?
« on: August 02, 2017, 04:48:34 PM »
I'm looking for a versatile do-it-all steel frame road bike. I intend to use this for exercise, commuting, and running errands. Something that can fit a rack to haul some bags, but also work for 30+ mile leisure and exercise rides. I like steel because of the durability over aluminum and carbon.

Any suggestions fitting this description for under $1000? Thanks!

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Best do-it-all road bikes for < $1000?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 07:11:33 PM »
You want a touring bike not a road bike, if you want mount points for racks and bags.  I'd go for the Surly Long Haul Trucker if you can find one for <$1k, which should be easy used.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 07:29:08 PM »
There are a lot of older steel frames that could be built up into a great bike for this purpose if you're handy with a wrench.

I second the notion of picking up a touring frame though, I've been using one for the past five years for everything that you mentioned.  (I took the fenders and rack off last Saturday and did 120 km, then put them back on for commuting to work and getting the groceries.)

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 07:14:54 AM »
I would watch CL for Surly LHTs, Cross Checks, Stragglers.  Salsa Vaya, Fargo, Casseroll.  Most anything from All City.  Specialized AWOL. 

For these models you'll probably pay around a thousand on CL, less if you can find a bargain.  I got my AWOL comp for 800.

The 585

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 06:51:51 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations. Found a used Motobecane Gran Premio on CL nearby with Shimano 105 brakes, shifters, levers, derailleurs, and Mavic CXP 22 wheel set for $525, only a year and a half old. Is that a good deal? Looks like a pretty good value steel frame road bike.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:58:24 PM by The 585 »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 07:06:20 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations. Found a used Gran Premio on CL nearby with Shimano 105 brakes, shifters, levers, derailleurs, and Mavic CXP 22 wheel set for $525, only a year and a half old. Is that a good deal? Looks like a pretty good value steel frame road bike.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/gran_premio_elite.htm

Looks like a decent bike, but there's not much clearance for wide tires.  Wide tires (28 - 32 at least) are much more comfortable if you're a heavier rider, or if you're planning on carrying a bunch of stuff while commuting because you don't have to keep the pressure as high.  There are attachment points for rack/fenders, but the chainstays aren't too long so you might find that the back of your heels hit panniers if you get big ones.

Who did the build and how many spokes in the Mavic CXPs?  This and your weight (plus the weight of whatever you're carrying) will determine how long the wheels last you.

The 585

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 06:40:04 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations. Found a used Gran Premio on CL nearby with Shimano 105 brakes, shifters, levers, derailleurs, and Mavic CXP 22 wheel set for $525, only a year and a half old. Is that a good deal? Looks like a pretty good value steel frame road bike.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/gran_premio_elite.htm

Looks like a decent bike, but there's not much clearance for wide tires.  Wide tires (28 - 32 at least) are much more comfortable if you're a heavier rider, or if you're planning on carrying a bunch of stuff while commuting because you don't have to keep the pressure as high.  There are attachment points for rack/fenders, but the chainstays aren't too long so you might find that the back of your heels hit panniers if you get big ones.

Who did the build and how many spokes in the Mavic CXPs?  This and your weight (plus the weight of whatever you're carrying) will determine how long the wheels last you.

Great advice GuitarStv, all stuff I didn't consider. I'll go out and try some touring frames, and maybe some cyclocross frames, and see what works. Thanks again!

poetdereves

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 07:24:11 AM »
I got the nashbar flat bar disc. They are on sale for $299 right now and are the perfect setup if you don't already know what you like. Then you can customize it with racks, panniers, fenders, etc. there are mounting points for all of the above and people have gone cross country on it, so it's reliable for the price. You'd be pretty far under your $1,000 price point even after adding all the customization you'd want. I often ride mine 36 miles round trip per day and have never been lacking in anything so far. Keep any bike tuned these days and they will last forever. It's really all preference and price.