Author Topic: Best DIY teeth whitening tips?  (Read 2296 times)

SmileAllDay

• Stubble
  • Traveling full-time with my wife since '16.
    • So, where were we?
Best DIY teeth whitening tips?
« on: February 13, 2019, 10:52:51 AM »
Anyone have any tricks they've picked up over the years? Baking soda seems to be the crowd favorite online.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
Re: Best DIY teeth whitening tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 04:36:10 PM »
I have been using activated charcoal and it works great! It does make a bit of a mess in the sink so be prepared to clean out the sink afterwards. Another thing that really helps is using a timer to make sure you are brushing for a full minute. This works with the charcoal and even with regular toothpaste. My kid brought home a little hourglass timer after a dentist visited their school and when I brushed my teeth alongside him I was amazed how much whiter my teeth were.

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 11:45:02 PM »
Best trick is to stay off the black coffee! I love my coffee, but if I stop for a few days the difference on my teeth is amazing!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 07:56:31 AM »
Ultrabrite toothpaste is cheap and seems to work well.  Doesn't give you that Hollywood peroxide look, but I never noticed any stains when drinking coffee.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 08:45:51 AM »
I did a little experiment for a while last year and noticed a difference.  No hot tea/coffee, no sugar, no grains, minimal vinegar-y things (and always immediately rinsed with water thoroughly after anything vinegar-y).

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 05:19:44 PM »
Peroxide and baking soda.

Islander

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 05:42:53 AM »
Try oil pulling, it's my fav technique so far along with brushing with charcoal.

https://wellnessmama.com/7866/oil-pulling/

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 08:27:06 AM »
I had to quit with whitening toothpaste as it was making my teeth sensitive. Try to whiten too aggressively and you can damage your enamel. Best to balance whitening with preventative (e.g. alternative to tea and coffee).