Author Topic: Best deal to get bulk rice and oats delivered  (Read 2897 times)

Hawkeye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Save on your Phone plan by switching to Tello - sign up now and we both get $10 ! Referral
Best deal to get bulk rice and oats delivered
« on: June 16, 2018, 03:58:17 PM »
Fellow mustachians,

I am running low on both oats and rice.. I know it is a horrible sensation. I don't own a car and would prefer to have it delivered home.

What is the currently most mustachian way to get it delivered ? I used google express in the past which was awesome, but it seems like they stopped offering cheap bags of 50 lbs rice a while ago.. :/

What do y'all recommend ?

Best,

Hawkeye

meddling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Best deal to get bulk rice and oats delivered
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 07:46:06 PM »
I'm also interested in this! Curious to know whether there are better options than what I've found for brown rice.

Pail of brown rice shipped from Walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Augason-Farms-Long-Grain-Brown-Rice-Emergency-Food-Storage-26-Pound-Pail/22001477

Price works out to $32.18/26lbs = $1.23/lb.  It comes in barely under their free shipping for orders $35 or more, so I usually time it when I have other things to get.
Quality is decent; I've never found any bugs or filth in the box. Tastes fine to me! I am not a picky eater though; most everything is good drenched in hot sauce!

Not sure on oats... I don't eat enough to worry about buying them in bulk.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 07:58:08 PM »
I too am curious about this. I ran out of rice once, it was terrible.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 08:18:54 PM »
A friend with a car and a Costco membership...

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 05:52:16 AM »
A friend with a car and a Costco membership...

I think this is the only solution for rice.

For oats, I've had luck with ordering a bunch of smaller bags with a decent coupon from places like vitacost (also going through a cash back portal). 

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 07:40:32 AM »
I've always purchased the 20 lb bag of Royal Basmati rice at Sams Club for around $18.

Looks like they have a 50 lb bag of their store brand long grain rice for $16. I may have to give that a shot next time.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/search/searchResults.jsp?searchTerm=rice&searchCategoryId=all

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 07:44:18 AM »
I've used nutstop.com before to get brown rice (and a variety of other bulk food). With shipping if you order 35lbs it works out to ~$1.17 a pound.

I got my oats from bakersauthority.com (less relevant since I need GF oats but they were $1.70 a pound including shipping; which for GF oats is a great deal).

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 07:45:56 AM »
I've always purchased the 20 lb bag of Royal Basmati rice at Sams Club for around $18.

Looks like they have a 50 lb bag of their store brand long grain rice for $16. I may have to give that a shot next time.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/search/searchResults.jsp?searchTerm=rice&searchCategoryId=all

That’s where I get mine but I don’t believe they have free shipping on do they? I get mine in the store but OP was hoping for delivery.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 07:55:33 AM »
Sprouts in my area offers delivery. If you wait until oats go on sale (last week they were $.69/lb), and order a 50lb bag, I bet they'd deliver it for you, and you'd still likely be <$1/lb. It'd be worth checking into.

For rice...Friend with a car and a Costco card is the way I would go, if possible. Last time we bought rice at Costco, it was $.32/lb (white rice), or ~$1.25/lb (brown rice).

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 12:17:02 PM »
I've used nutstop.com before to get brown rice (and a variety of other bulk food). With shipping if you order 35lbs it works out to ~$1.17 a pound.

I got my oats from bakersauthority.com (less relevant since I need GF oats but they were $1.70 a pound including shipping; which for GF oats is a great deal).

Oh and as a bonus if you add something to your cart on Nutstop.com but don't finish checking out they'll shoot you an email with $3 off which takes brown rice down to $1.08 a pound :)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 07:54:24 PM »
Woodmans Market (IL, MN & WI) has multiple brands of brown rice for $1.50 for 2 lb.
They recently started selling online; https://shopwoodmans.com
No idea if they have a minimum or what their shipping costs.

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 08:47:54 PM »
Royal Basmati ffor $18/20 lb bag from Walmart.

Or hit Indian or Asian grocery store. They consume rice than other ethnicities. Unless it is good, they cant sell in their store.  So you cannot go wrong.

For oats, costco or bjs or samsclub.

Google Express can save gas and you may get 25% off too.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 08:53:39 PM »
Cheapest I've ever found: small town local owner asian grocery shop. Cheapest now that I've moved: Costco. Otherwise, wait until a good sale comes up and ask a grocery store to buy for you in bulk.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 06:02:13 AM »