Author Topic: best couch?  (Read 5061 times)

scrubbyfish

best couch?
« on: November 25, 2013, 11:56:54 PM »
Now that the awesome people on another thread have shown me how I can fit a couch into my wee apartment and fulfill several dreams, I ask:

What couch do you love/recommend?

My needs/dream:

-to feel at ease while kids are climbing on it and accidentally poking scissors toward it and adults are spilling things on it
-an "airier" look (probably legs exposed, etc)
-easy to re-cover, preferably comes with additional covers I can buy at the outset
-preferably (locking) wheels, as it will get rolled around a bunch
-comfy
-minimalist design
-long enough for a person 5'10 to lie on it
-seats at least 3 adults
-fits through a regular door
-I prefer arms, but this is not critical
-price is not the biggest issue, but I'm unlikely to spend more than $450 on it

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: best couch?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 03:48:06 AM »
At that price range, frankly, you're looking for secondhand. Couches are ridiculously overpriced. But you can make that work for you.

Consider making or purchasing slipcovers (lots available online), and possibly attaching wheels yourself. Use screws, not nails, and you'll be fine. You may need to shorten the legs if the wheels raise it too high, so you're looking for something with simple wooden legs, not fancy claw feet.

Khan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 04:18:16 AM »
Ikea. If you have one in your area, check it out.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 10:22:17 PM »
Thanks, Rural and Khanjar! A few days after your replies, a friend was getting rid of his Ikea couch, so I accepted it to try out. This particular one (an older model of Ikea's absolute lowest end) isn't great, but I'm still really enjoying the experiment. A permanent couch is definitely in the cards! Thanks again for your replies :)

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 11:02:54 PM »
We've had an Ikea Stockholm sofa for years.  This is the "higher end" of Ikea, and we've been very happy with this purchase.  Yes - you can get cheaper ones.....but we are still happy with this after 7 years and it's in excellent condition, will still use for many more.  Comfortable, looks nice, and for furniture is still rather inexpensive.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 07:01:49 AM »
The ikea Karlstad sofa is nice.  Roomy, sturdy, removable slip covers, clean lined and basic looking enough to go with anything.  It's one of their mid-level sofas.  Comes in pieces so it will fit through any door!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 07:06:03 AM »
I second the IKEA Karlstad recommendation.  It would be very easy to attach casters instead of the legs it comes with.  Other than that it fits all of your requirements.  You can get it for $500.

ArcticaMT6

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »
My wife bought a couch from a furniture seller in San Diego during one of their holiday sales. I guess it was originally a sectional, as it breaks up into 2 pieces (which is awesome for if you move a lot like we did). One of the most comfortable couches I've sat on. I think she spent a total of about $300.

Basically, the point is to check sales and check the back rooms to see what got returned or was leftover.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 05:44:39 PM »
Ooohhh, nice ones! We're getting comfier and comfier *and* closer to a price point that feels okay for me! Thanks!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!