Author Topic: Best “cold weather” purchase to increase quality of life  (Read 6251 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Best “cold weather” purchase to increase quality of life
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2021, 09:11:34 PM »
Good slippers that keep your feet warm.

Heated throw blanket. Nothing like having an electric blanket while curled up on the couch.

Cozy blankets on the bed. I prefer the temp cooler at night, but that means I need the heavier blanket.

Proper outerwear: coat, hat/gloves/scarves, boots. You can be warm, but if your feet turn into blocks of ice, then you're cold.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2021, 07:51:21 AM »
A goose down comforter and flannel sheets are wonderful luxury on cold Winter nights. 

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2021, 12:01:51 PM »
Seconding the suggestions of a hot tub with the added requirements of "outdoors" and "under cover."  You get the fresh air and feeling of being outside while staying toasty and can use it even if it's raining or snowing.  We have a small hot tub under a portable gazebo in the backyard and it's so soothing to be out there on a quiet winter night. Plus it helps with the aches that come with daytime cold-weather activities.  If a full gazebo isn't an option a large patio umbrella will do the trick.

To keep it as mustachian as possible look for used ones (used hot tubs are notoriously difficult to get rid of and around here they're sometimes available for free if you can pick up) and get the smallest size possible to reduce heating costs. 

ETA: Also make sure it's well insulated and beef up the insulation if it's not.

Good points, mine is also under cover and was purchased for $100 in 2001 as a non runner.
I've replaced the circulation pump twice and am on my second heater, and third cover. I've replaced a few other parts as well.
It is a two person Hot Springs Jetsetter model (1996).
I've estimated it adds approx $12 to my monthly electric bill.
This brand (Hot Springs) has good parts coverage online, also an important factor in long term ownership.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2021, 12:46:59 PM »
My cats LOVVVE a heated blanket.  Along the same lines, I also have a radiant heater that I point at my bed, mostly because I strongly dislike running my HVAC in the winter as it dries out my sinuses and skin. 

Arian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2021, 03:26:04 PM »
Double-glazed windows and doors have really helped keep our house warm over winter. Noticed a massive difference after installation.

firestarter2018

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2021, 08:28:13 PM »
We just researched hot tubs and found there are several companies that specialize in cold-climate hot tubs; instead of just being energy-efficient they make them mega-super-energy-efficient so that you can run them in a cold climate without going broke. Arctic Spas is the one I saw mentioned the most.

But on the cheaper side, I agree with everyone who said a hot water bottle. Tuck one at your feet in bed on a really cold night and you'll be a happy camper.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2021, 08:28:55 AM »
We have replaced a heated blanket with a heated mattress pad.  The general consensus is to turn it on 15 - 30 minutes before getting into bed and then turn it to low or off.  Get into a warm bed every night.  We find a similar effect in the family bed with 3 kids as blankets.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2021, 09:06:38 AM »
Sounds crazy, but a pair of snowmobiles were the best "cold weather" purchase we made to increase quality of life.

We went from dreading the deep snow and being stuck indoors to looking forward to snowstorms and riding in the glorious landscapes.

(skiing would be cheaper and more exercise but I have a knee issue that doesn't allow that).   Besides, you get a fair amount of exercise when you get stuck in a snowdrift in a 500 pound sled.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2021, 09:32:31 AM »
Sounds crazy, but a pair of snowmobiles were the best "cold weather" purchase we made to increase quality of life.

We went from dreading the deep snow and being stuck indoors to looking forward to snowstorms and riding in the glorious landscapes.

(skiing would be cheaper and more exercise but I have a knee issue that doesn't allow that).   Besides, you get a fair amount of exercise when you get stuck in a snowdrift in a 500 pound sled.

I've always wanted to try snowmobiling.  It really looks like a blast.  Our place in the NC mountains can get brutally cold, but the average long-term snow coverage isn't nearly high enough for having snowmobiles here.  We discovered 4wd ATVs to serve our snowmobiling needs surprisingly well and are also useful and fun the rest of the year.  We picked up a couple of older, fully depreciated, Hondas about 10 years ago and they've been great. 

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2021, 03:57:44 PM »

I've always wanted to try snowmobiling.  It really looks like a blast.  Our place in the NC mountains can get brutally cold, but the average long-term snow coverage isn't nearly high enough for having snowmobiles here.  We discovered 4wd ATVs to serve our snowmobiling needs surprisingly well and are also useful and fun the rest of the year.  We picked up a couple of older, fully depreciated, Hondas about 10 years ago and they've been great.

Everyone should, at least once in life, try a snowmobile and get it up to around 100 mph on a frozen lake with a nice snow cover on top (as in perfectly flat and no surprises).  I did it once about 25 years ago and its still one of the most fun things I remember. My current self would never do it, however.

Frizzle42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2021, 06:17:48 PM »
The best budget investments for me were:

Yak Tracks and thermal underwear from Costco - for getting fresh air and exercise

Heated blanket, and hot cocoa + a shot of cheap spiced rum or butterscotch schnapps - for getting warm and cozy in the evenings.

Best non-budget purchase was a cat, as a living purring lap warmer.

Don't have one now, so I have no idea how costly or mustacian they are, but as a kid I grew up with wood or gas fire places, which made winter evenings/afternoons the absolute best.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2021, 07:07:25 PM »

Best non-budget purchase was a cat, as a living purring lap warmer.

My partner asked me today what I thought about it if he applied for a job in Michigan. I said if he got it we’d definitely need another cat to keep me warm.

And for the OP, I was struggling and dreading last winter so much (and it’s coming on for this year…), planning ahead to things to look forward to really helped me make it thru. We very intentionally got into some tv shows so we had a weekly episode release to look forward to and enjoy together. We planned a weekend cabin with a hot tub on a lake in January. We planned frugal diy Christmas gifts for a lot of friends, neighbors, the postal worker, local shop owners… we knew it was a hard year for everyone and doing that project for others helped us both emotionally. We also did a lot of diy Christmas which involved hikes to gather greenery … which is where we found our second kitten and adopted her…. We’re planning similar this year (minus finding another kitten… we really can’t handle a third.) but those things helped get me through the dismals.  We did the typical covid outdoor bonfire socially distanced visits and regular friend zoom call cooking club. Also really good for keeping the dismals at bay… but I find those draining too and need things to refresh myself.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 07:09:07 PM by PMG »

wick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2021, 09:59:40 AM »
Uniqlo thermals. Very cheap and make bike commuting in December totally enjoyable!

NaN

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2021, 10:13:10 AM »
1) Good slippers - my favorite are my Glerups.
2) A good, heavy, wool blanket for the bed. Out cats love it when it comes out, too.
3) A pair of good slip on spikes for winter hiking. Have climbed 2000 ft peaks behind my house with them.

On my wish list is a wood stove, though we just installed nice electric heaters in our new reno room. I am going to test them out this winter before pulling the trigger on the wood stove.

I splurged on a gym pre COVID that had a great sauna/steam room. While they have been closed for a long while, they are open now. Not sure how I feel yet about that situation since they don't require vaccinations.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2021, 03:30:35 PM »
A goose down comforter and flannel sheets are wonderful luxury on cold Winter nights.

The down comforter to make you sweat, and the flannel sheets to absorb the sweat?  We've got a down duvet, and that thing makes me sweat so much, I need a drink of water halfway through the night!

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2021, 07:26:26 PM »

The down comforter to make you sweat, and the flannel sheets to absorb the sweat?  We've got a down duvet, and that thing makes me sweat so much, I need a drink of water halfway through the night!

We probably keep our house at a lower temp than you do. 

FIRE Realtor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Vegan Mom
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2021, 12:03:10 PM »
Lifelong Minnesotan here, who REALLY hates being cold.  Seems like during the winter months the chill gets so deep my feet are cold no matter how many layers I put on.  That said, my #1 indulgence that I didn't see mentioned:  Hot yoga.  It can be pricey but I ask for gift cards during the holidays.  Doing that once a week is a sanity saver for me.  I love CorePower. 

I've become a sauna enthusiast in the past couple years and this year we are splurging and putting one in our basement, because we will be here at least a dozen years until the kids are grown up.  I plan to use it as my main method of socializing in the winter too because I'm done putting on 3 layers and slogging out to a bar. 

Other small things - I received a microwavable rice pack as a gift last year and it was a game changer!!  Like the best thing ever!!  No more trying to get my feet warm when I crawled into bed, I looked forward to using that thing every night. 

Also due to Covid we were outside last winter WAY more than usual and I realized as long as temps are double digits and there's some sun, I will quickly get warm walking in snow pants and regular winter coat / hat. 

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2021, 01:17:27 AM »
I have lived in Alaska for over 50 years.

The things that have made the most difference to me are warm clothes. Specifically down jackets [REi has good ones for less than $300], thick wool sweaters, good winter hats, thin inner gloves covered by thick warm mittens, two pairs of socks [1] (and slightly larger winter only shoes so my feet are not squeezed) and long underwear, especially pants. Below about -5 [-21 C] you'll want a wool scarf as well.

[1] For light cold to about 20 F [-7 C] you should be fine with a second pair of regular socks. From normal cold from 20 F to -5 F [-7 C to - 21 C] you'll want wool socks, from -5 to about -35 [-21 C to -37 C] you'll want good (and expensive) boots, and below that you'll want to refuse to go outside without white (type II) Bunny boots.

trc4897

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2021, 07:18:11 AM »
Hmmm. Not for everyone, but something I didn't see mentioned yet. We bought a winter dog who is absolutely happiest in a pile of snow. So we spend lots of time outdoors in the winter and it's pure pleasure. Until we need to de-snowball his legs and paws.

This!! We have an American Eskimo and she refuses to come inside in the winter until we chase her around in the snow. You are right about the de-snowballing though..

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2021, 08:40:03 AM »
Hmmm. Not for everyone, but something I didn't see mentioned yet. We bought a winter dog who is absolutely happiest in a pile of snow. So we spend lots of time outdoors in the winter and it's pure pleasure. Until we need to de-snowball his legs and paws.

This!! We have an American Eskimo and she refuses to come inside in the winter until we chase her around in the snow. You are right about the de-snowballing though..

I also owned an Arctic breed.  Trimming the fur on the pads of the feet keeps snow/ice pellets down.

Watching her enjoy the snow definitely got me outside in winter.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2021, 03:56:05 PM »
from -5 to about -35 [-21 C to -37 C] you'll want good (and expensive) boots, and below that you'll want to refuse to go outside without white (type II) Bunny boots.
Great ... now I've got a new thing for the "Stupidest thing I'm lusting after" thread. So, where is the best place to pick up these type II Bunny boots? I see them on eBay, but is there a better place?

Rockies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2021, 05:27:55 PM »
Cross country skiing is my #1 way to feel happy over the Alberta winter. I also get out on the fat bike trails with my mountain bike on days that the snow is hard. Surprisingly you can also enjoy regular hiking all winter long as long as you choose the trail wisely and stay away from avalanche terrain. I also learned to not be afraid of the darkness and go out for nighttime starlit skis/bike rides with friends.

I also started taking an annual 2 week trip to Arizona in early March to go backpacking in the desert. I spend a few months of winter enjoyably engrossed in the logistical planning and getting in shape for the trip, and then the trip is an early end to winter. I've really enjoyed it.

You can also pick up a hobby or projects to focus on over the winter. A hobby I picked up is designing and sewing my own backcountry camping gear (tent, sleeping bag, etc) during the winter. It gives me a deadline as I need to finish it by spring for spring trips.  Another winter project for me was building a complete bike from parts for the first time.

Also getting out camping on a relatively mild winter day can actually be quite pleasant.

Overall - you need to find outdoor winter activities in your area you enjoy (ice fishing, skiing, fat biking, hiking, winter camping, etc etc). Dressing properly will make pretty much any activity fun. When you arnt outside you need to find an indoor project.

Sauna's are also a great help, if you have a place to put one. Unfortunately I do not.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 05:35:09 PM by Rockies »

Rockies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2021, 05:39:24 PM »
from -5 to about -35 [-21 C to -37 C] you'll want good (and expensive) boots, and below that you'll want to refuse to go outside without white (type II) Bunny boots.
Great ... now I've got a new thing for the "Stupidest thing I'm lusting after" thread. So, where is the best place to pick up these type II Bunny boots? I see them on eBay, but is there a better place?

Just dont buy Sorel boots. My understanding is that they used to be good but the modern Chinese made versions are some of the coldest boots I've ever worn. Honestly my feet get colder in my new Sorels than when I wear sneakers in the winter. The new cheap rubber used in the Sorels just sucks up and radiates the cold all around your feet.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2021, 05:56:39 PM »
It's already been mentioned, but not a lot.  A hot water bottle.  I snuggle with it on the sofa.  I put it in the bed to pre-warm it while I prepare for bed, so there's no climbing into cold sheets.  I tend to sleep hot so all I need is to have the bed warm and then maybe to spoon with the water bottle for 10-15 minutes, and then I am usually more than warm enough. 

Makes a massively huge difference for me, and relatively inexpensively.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2021, 06:06:00 AM »
It's already been mentioned, but not a lot.  A hot water bottle.  I snuggle with it on the sofa.  I put it in the bed to pre-warm it while I prepare for bed, so there's no climbing into cold sheets.  I tend to sleep hot so all I need is to have the bed warm and then maybe to spoon with the water bottle for 10-15 minutes, and then I am usually more than warm enough. 

Makes a massively huge difference for me, and relatively inexpensively.

Many years ago my hot water bottle leaked.  Oops.  I love the fabric bags that have grain in them that just heat up fast in the microwave.  So warm.  I put one in the bed where my feet will go, and 5 minutes later my feet are so warm in bed  They are also great as heat packs for sore muscles. They drape so well.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2021, 10:23:07 AM »
Also getting out camping on a relatively mild winter day can actually be quite pleasant.

Oh, yeah- winter camping is the best! But you don't need to hope for mild temperatures. 

It's probably the single most expensive piece of outdoor gear I've ever purchased but a canvas winter hot tent is amazing. 

Get that wood stove cranked up and it can be -10F outside, but you can sit on your sleeping bag in your underwear.   

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2021, 10:39:41 AM »
Couple questions about that hot tent.  We were thinking of doing some overnight snowmobile trips.

1)  How small does it pack down with the stove?  Would it fit in a 2 foot by 4 foot sled pulled by one of our snowmobiles?

2)  How do you set it up on snow?  Do you have to dig down to earth or do you sleep on top of a canvas floor that sits on snow?   

3)  How much wood does the stove burn overnight to keep the inside above freezing?

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2021, 11:14:18 AM »
Couple questions about that hot tent.  We were thinking of doing some overnight snowmobile trips.

1)  How small does it pack down with the stove?  Would it fit in a 2 foot by 4 foot sled pulled by one of our snowmobiles?

2)  How do you set it up on snow?  Do you have to dig down to earth or do you sleep on top of a canvas floor that sits on snow?   

3)  How much wood does the stove burn overnight to keep the inside above freezing?

So this tent is a Snowtrekker 8x10 crew tent. It'll fit 2 people comfortably, 3 if people want to get cozy.   I use a small snowtrekker stove in it. I can fit it and all my gear for a weekend in a skipulk.com Paris pulk if I'm going light.  Towing it in a sled behind a snowmobile will be no problem. 

I usually camp in an areas that get ~200" snow in the season and can sometimes have a solid 1-2 feet of snow on the ground. Digging down is just not an option. I usually pack down a square with my snowshoes before setting up the tent. The tent as no floor, but I'll put a tarp down as a floor. I'm still playing with this. After a couple of days, the snow under the tarp starts to get really hard and icy and the plastic tarp slippery on top of it. Standing can get treacherous.

I do dig out a hole for the stove as it'll eventually melt its ways down to the ground anyway.

The stove is pretty small and burn times can vary a lot depending on the quality of wood I've scavanged, but 2-3 hours is the most I'd expect out of it without reloading. I almost never run it through the night. Just long enough to get everything dried out and me curled up in my zero degree sleeping bag.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 11:16:44 AM by Askel »

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2021, 01:28:13 PM »
That's pretty neat.   I've camped in the snow in a backpacking tent, but the only warm tents I've see were pretty much non-portable.    I mean you could take them down and dismantle the stove and so on, but it's not something you'd want to do every morning.    the skipulk site brings back some old memories!

Have you ever pulled it on skiis?   Or with the stove do you really need a skidoo?     How much does the whole thing weigh in at?

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2021, 01:40:52 PM »
The tent and stove are both well under 20lbs each, so easily moveable by a single human, but probably pushing what you'd do with a backpack. 

I usually don't ski with the ski pulk, mainly because I'm often breaking trail to get to where I want to camp. I opt for snowshoes.   

If you had groomed trails though, you could easily pull this thing on skis. They also make a fatbike attachment that I'm tempted to try someday.   

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2021, 01:15:46 PM »

Just dont buy Sorel boots. My understanding is that they used to be good but the modern Chinese made versions are some of the coldest boots I've ever worn. Honestly my feet get colder in my new Sorels than when I wear sneakers in the winter. The new cheap rubber used in the Sorels just sucks up and radiates the cold all around your feet.

That's too bad.  I owned a pair of Sorel boots when I was growing up up north, and spent a ton of time walking around in them at well below -40 . . . they were pretty awesome boots, and lasted quite a few years too.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2021, 03:23:30 PM »

That's too bad.  I owned a pair of Sorel boots when I was growing up up north, and spent a ton of time walking around in them at well below -40 . . . they were pretty awesome boots, and lasted quite a few years too.

Maybe try Kamik.  Mine are super warm and not bulky.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2021, 12:35:17 PM »
I do okay with warm weather gear for everything but my hands.....anyone have good suggestions for both gloves and mitts?

If you aren't actively trying to use your hands, rechargeable handwarmers can be great.  I have a job that has me outside often enough, but it's more walking than working.  So I can tuck a handwarmer into my pockets, or even into my knit gloves if they're stretchy enough, and be fine for the few times I need my hands to grab onto a handrail or something. 

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2021, 12:42:19 PM »
I recently found what is pretty much a very oversized hoodie made from the super-soft fleece with "sherpa" lining blankets that were really popular a couple years ago.  The hoodie goes below my knees (I'm 5' 7") and has pockets.  It fits like a big tent with a hood, and the sleeves are extra long, but have the elastic band so you can keep them secured where you want them.  It's called a "wearable blanket hoodie" on amazon.  Not sure if it's something you can find in a store right now (not many local store options in my small town).  Anyway, it's great for lounging around.  Even wore it to in-person training recently, knowing I'd get cold (in the trades, we seriously don't care what we look like as long as we are warm and dry!  Well, at least I don't.)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2021, 05:53:08 PM »
Actually, if anyone wants super warm and has friends who spin - get them to spin you yarn that is half dog undercoat - preferably Samoyed.    The other half is sheep wool for the elasticity.  Then you knit your mittens/socks/hat/scarf.

I saw a sweater made from Samoyed wool once at a dog show - it was half dog/half sheep wool, spun fine and knit lacey, because otherwise it could never be worn indoors.  I saw fibre once at a Festival that had Samoyed in it, the vendors got it from a friend.  There are also groups on Ravelry just for spinning dog hair, or chiengora as it is more popularly known.

After all, if a dog thinks -20C to -40C is the ideal temperature, it's undercoat should keep you warm!

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2021, 05:44:44 AM »
Actually, if anyone wants super warm and has friends who spin - get them to spin you yarn that is half dog undercoat - preferably Samoyed.    The other half is sheep wool for the elasticity.  Then you knit your mittens/socks/hat/scarf.

I saw a sweater made from Samoyed wool once at a dog show - it was half dog/half sheep wool, spun fine and knit lacey, because otherwise it could never be worn indoors.  I saw fibre once at a Festival that had Samoyed in it, the vendors got it from a friend.  There are also groups on Ravelry just for spinning dog hair, or chiengora as it is more popularly known.

After all, if a dog thinks -20C to -40C is the ideal temperature, it's undercoat should keep you warm!

I always thought there should be a use for all the fur tumbleweeds under my couch...! I'm glad someone is making use of them!

A dog, in general, is a good cold weather "accessory," because they make you go outside and do active things and they can help keep you warm inside. My mom has one who likes to sit on her feet... better than any slippers, as long as you're not moving around! And it's hard to feel down on a gray day when you have a furry friend.

cupcakery

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2021, 06:24:28 AM »
I recently found what is pretty much a very oversized hoodie made from the super-soft fleece with "sherpa" lining blankets that were really popular a couple years ago.  The hoodie goes below my knees (I'm 5' 7") and has pockets.  It fits like a big tent with a hood, and the sleeves are extra long, but have the elastic band so you can keep them secured where you want them.  It's called a "wearable blanket hoodie" on amazon.  Not sure if it's something you can find in a store right now (not many local store options in my small town).  Anyway, it's great for lounging around.  Even wore it to in-person training recently, knowing I'd get cold (in the trades, we seriously don't care what we look like as long as we are warm and dry!  Well, at least I don't.)

I was gifted one of these.  I like to sit with it on the couch.  So warm.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2021, 06:32:46 AM »

My Sorrel boots are fine down to about 30 below [-34 C], but they're 40 years old; so probably the old good ones. They say that they were made in Canada. (And one of the few items from back then that still fit, too.)

Maybe try on ebay for a used vintage pair? I see some there for $50 - $70 but I'm not sure they're really vintage.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2021, 06:40:23 AM »

I don't own any because Anchorage doesn't get that cold (at least not since those three weeks in 1989 when Siberia lent us their weather, don't get me started). I would try an Army/Navy store, over eBay. Maybe $250 unused or $160 used?

https://armynavyoutdoors.com/white-mickey-extreme-cold-weather-bunny-boots/?sku=5533-9W&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnoqLBhD4ARIsAL5JedJthUS9SXzSPZlH_y1I01K2FnGWkYtL-AgX-0CITQIDmdz-PeX5OXoaAlePEALw_wcB

ttps://colemans.com/u-s-g-i-extreme-cold-temperature-boots-white-unissued

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2021, 06:49:26 AM »
Crosss country skis with skins. Thse started to get popular a few years ago and has gotten really good.

These are awsome because they work well under pretty much any conditions, and especially when the temperature is just a bit over or under freezing when waxing is at its most difficult. If it gets proper cold, say 20F (-6C) waxing is pretty easy so I tend to switch to vaxed skis then.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2021, 07:22:36 AM »
I don't think I saw anyone mention an outdoor firepit? and gourmet marshmallows!

We bought one for COVID winter and while we couldn't use it during the coldest days of the year, it definitely kept us outside more in the Nov-Early Jan time period.

I think we spent about $150 bucks on a pretty fire pit. We made s'mores and cooked hot dogs on sticks a few times a month last winter and I had a friend that would come over for girls night after the kids conked out. We'd sit all wrapped up in front of the fire with our mulled wine.

It made a very positive difference for us last year.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2021, 10:49:12 AM »
Crosss country skis with skins. Thse started to get popular a few years ago and has gotten really good.

These are awsome because they work well under pretty much any conditions, and especially when the temperature is just a bit over or under freezing when waxing is at its most difficult. If it gets proper cold, say 20F (-6C) waxing is pretty easy so I tend to switch to vaxed skis then.

I do the same thing.   Use the skinned skiis for difficult waxing conditions, and use the normal (waxed) skiis when it's colder.   It's great.   More time skiing, less time mucking about with the base.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2021, 02:49:26 PM »
I do the same thing.   Use the skinned skiis for difficult waxing conditions, and use the normal (waxed) skiis when it's colder.   It's great.   More time skiing, less time mucking about with the base.

As a Norwegian I should probably hold a PhD in ski waxing and various other treatments but I never really bothered to put much effort into it, our professionals and avid amateurs have made a whole science out of it and you can buy products whose price approach those of illegal drugs (fluorine powder is like 200 bucks for 40 grams) but I never really bothered as I have plenty of time and don't aim to win anything. Especially as I would have to do my GFs skis and also for two kids. Now we all use skins and I ain't turning back.

HSBW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2021, 06:50:37 AM »

As a Norwegian I should probably hold a PhD in ski waxing and various other treatments but I never really bothered to put much effort into it, our professionals and avid amateurs have made a whole science out of it and you can buy products whose price approach those of illegal drugs (fluorine powder is like 200 bucks for 40 grams) but I never really bothered as I have plenty of time and don't aim to win anything. Especially as I would have to do my GFs skis and also for two kids. Now we all use skins and I ain't turning back.

I haven't cross country skied in years but I have strong memories of hours spent waxing skis. Your have gripping skins to replace the sticky wax but do you still have to reapply gliding wax? I remember that being time consuming too.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2021, 07:03:14 AM »

I haven't cross country skied in years but I have strong memories of hours spent waxing skis. Your have gripping skins to replace the sticky wax but do you still have to reapply gliding wax? I remember that being time consuming too.

The gliding wax (if you use) is still the same drill yes, the skin is just a short one under the foot so yoiu don't need to apply any for friction. They are also vastly better than "non-vax" skies available.