Author Topic: Best cards for travel hacking?  (Read 3133 times)

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
Best cards for travel hacking?
« on: January 07, 2019, 08:40:21 AM »
I think I can do one Chase card this year before I hit 5/24 and currently have 14k in points on DH chase card.  I'll have around $950 each month in work reimbursed expenses so can use that to manufacture spending and can sign up for cards for DH to use our personal spending to hit limits.  We'd like to go to Peru in June and since we need 3 flights, any free flights would really help.  Any ideas for what cards to sign up for?  I don't think we currently have substantial points on any airline so will be starting from zero. 

bbates728

• Stubble
Re: Best cards for travel hacking?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 09:12:01 AM »
Hi Unique User,

I am just beginning on the adventure of travel hacking / churning (4 months in). The common advice is to get a Chase Sapphire Reserve card as one of your first. As you are pushing into the 5/24 range, I would definitely suggest Chase before they are gone from the realm of possibilities. Chase partners with United which flies down to Lima and can connect with you to Cusco if that is the plan.

I am personally valuing the southwest companion pass rather highly and working on a couple of cards to earn it but Southwest doesn't fly down there so steer clear.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! Peru is great!!

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
Re: Best cards for travel hacking?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 10:29:51 AM »
Thanks - I did the Chase Sapphire last March when I had a bunch of work related travel.  I haven't done any of the airlines, but don't know if the points are enough for a ticket.