Author Topic: Best brand of refrigerator?  (Read 74908 times)

Baylor3217

• Bristles
Best brand of refrigerator?
« on: May 05, 2013, 11:00:21 AM »
From reading reviews frigidaire seems cheap

I'm not buying GE as I try not to support companies that cheat the govt and population out of taxes as a political favor.

Had a whirlpool that had to be worked on 3 times in 8 years.

Anyone have good experience with kenmore, Samsung or LG?

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
Re: Best brand of refrigerator?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 11:39:41 AM »
Appliance buying these days is aggravating.  I buy refrigerators for the rentals and I have found the cheaper Whirlpool side by sides to be ok for that application when I can't find something used.  In your shoes, I would look at buying the mid-range GE at Home Depot if I had to have new.  The Adora line is made for Home Depot.  This one is the cheapest GE that's passable and it has a $100 rebate.  Comes in black as well.  I put one in a rental recently and no complaints.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-25-3-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-in-White-GSH25JGDWW/203232454?N=c3q0

Kenmore is a mix of Frigidaire (really poor quality refrigerators) and Whirlpool (variable).

The Korean brands (LG and Samsung) are difficult and expensive to repair.  I understand parts are difficult to get.  Kitchen Aid and Maytag are divisions of Whirlpool.

Read the reviews for any model you are thinking about buying.  Manufacturing consistency does not exist.  You can get a lemon with any brand.  Look at what you store - some fridges have more drawers and less door space, others have the opposite.  If you freeze a lot, look at the space occupied by the icemaker.

The cheapest option will be a freezer on the top in 18 cf +/-.  I find families need the space of the side by side.

Lowes and Home Depot do not charge for delivery or haul away.  Sears does.

At least this only happens once every 10-15 years....

Sri C.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 01:10:16 PM »
I was looking around for used fridges and noticed that whirlpools were the most reliable and of quality.

Do you intend to buy new?

Baylor3217

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 01:15:13 PM »
Thanks for the details. Very helpful.

Appliance buying these days is aggravating.  I buy refrigerators for the rentals and I have found the cheaper Whirlpool side by sides to be ok for that application when I can't find something used.  In your shoes, I would look at buying the mid-range GE at Home Depot if I had to have new.  The Adora line is made for Home Depot.  This one is the cheapest GE that's passable and it has a $100 rebate.  Comes in black as well.  I put one in a rental recently and no complaints.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-25-3-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-in-White-GSH25JGDWW/203232454?N=c3q0

Kenmore is a mix of Frigidaire (really poor quality refrigerators) and Whirlpool (variable).

The Korean brands (LG and Samsung) are difficult and expensive to repair.  I understand parts are difficult to get.  Kitchen Aid and Maytag are divisions of Whirlpool.

Read the reviews for any model you are thinking about buying.  Manufacturing consistency does not exist.  You can get a lemon with any brand.  Look at what you store - some fridges have more drawers and less door space, others have the opposite.  If you freeze a lot, look at the space occupied by the icemaker.

The cheapest option will be a freezer on the top in 18 cf +/-.  I find families need the space of the side by side.

Lowes and Home Depot do not charge for delivery or haul away.  Sears does.

At least this only happens once every 10-15 years....

Vilx-

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 01:15:55 PM »
Heh, this is an interesting subject for me too! Although I do not have the money yet, our tiny 25+ years old Soviet era fridge is in dire need of upgrading, and I've seriously looked at the market at least once before.

My observation was that there are basically two "classes" of fridges. First is the "standard" class which contains all of your LGs, Samsungs, Whrilpools, Indesits and whatnotelse. The fridges there cost all about the same, if you pick two fridges with the same size/features. There's an equal number of supporters for each brand and there's nothing that makes one stand above the others.

And then there's the "high end" class which contains brands like Bosch, Siemens and Liebherr (and Miele, which is just a rebreanded Liebherr at twice the price). These fridges cost about twice as much as the "standard" class, if you pick two fridges with equivalent features (except Miele, which costs 4x, but that's just brand nonsense). However the reviews about these are that they are near indestructible. It is also my general experience that things which cost twice as much tend to last thrice as long, on top of being generally nicer in every imaginable way.

So, the mustachian choice would seem to buy one of the high-end brands, possibly used.

On the other hand, with a few not-too-expensive repairs, the lifetime of a standard fridge tends to approach 10 years anyway, I think. So for a high-end fridge to pay off, it would have to last at least 20 years. Which is a fucking long time. World tends to change a lot in 20 years, and even if the fridge still works, it might not be what I need anymore anyway. And, you know, there's always the chance that it will break anyway - nothing's perfect. And the repairs for the high-end brands are more expensive too.

So... what would be the rational choice?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:43:12 PM by Vilx- »

Baylor3217

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 01:17:55 PM »
I'm going with new. I've looked at several used in the past 3 days and have been unimpressed with the quality and price point given the ages (if you can even confirm).

Also, in general, people don't get rid of used refrigerators if they are working and it's very hard to confirm what has been done to the used one to gauge how long it may last.

All that is leading me to a new purchase at a cost effective price point and hopefully It will last.

I was looking around for used fridges and noticed that whirlpools were the most reliable and of quality.

Do you intend to buy new?

Baylor3217

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 01:21:29 PM »
I'm noticing the same thing. I think spending $800 or so for a 26 cu ft is the way to go and hope it lasts 10 years.

Doubling the price for one I hope lasts 20 years seems I wouldn't get the bang for the buck.

Do any of y'all put surge protectors on the fridge?  My repair ma swore up and down that is the fastest way to ensure long life.

Heh, this is an interesting subject for me too! Although I do not have the money yet, our tiny 25+ years old Soviet era fridge is in dire need of upgrading, and I've seriously looked at the market at least once before.

My observation was that there are basically two "classes" of fridges. First is the "standard" class which contains all of your LGs, Samsungs, Whrilpools, Indesits and whatnotelse. The fridges there cost all about the same, if you pick two fridges with the same size/features. There's an equal number of supporters for each brand and there's nothing that makes one stand above the others.

And then there's the "high end" class which contains brands like Bosch, Siemens and Liebherr (and Snaige, which is just a rebreanded Liebherr at twice the price). These fridges cost about twice as much as the "standard" class, if you pick two fridges with equivalent features (except Snaige, which costs 4x, but that's just brand nonsense). However the reviews about these are that they are near indestructible. It is also my general experience that things which cost twice as much tend to last thrice as long, on top of being generally nicer in every imaginable way.

So, the mustachian choice would seem to buy one of the high-end brands, possibly used.

On the other hand, with a few not-too-expensive repairs, the lifetime of a standard fridge tends to approach 10 years anyway, I think. So for a high-end fridge to pay off, it would have to last at least 20 years. Which is a fucking long time. World tends to change a lot in 20 years, and even if the fridge still works, it might not be what I need anymore anyway. And, you know, there's always the chance that it will break anyway - nothing's perfect. And the repairs for the high-end brands are more expensive too.

So... what would be the rational choice?

Dynasty

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 04:35:59 PM »

Also, in general, people don't get rid of used refrigerators if they are working and it's very hard to confirm what has been done to the used one to gauge how long it may last.

Not true. Plenty of people buy all new appliances when they remodel whether or not the ones they are replacing have reached the end of their service life.

When I moved into my house three years ago, I bought a used Maytag fridge, and a used whirlpool washer and dryer. Grand total for all three came to around six hundred including tax and delivery.

Aside from having to replace the pump on the washing machine, which cost me less than 35 dollars doing the work myself, they've been a great inexpensive investment. I know some other people who just bought a new house, they spent 3K on a new fridge, and washer and dryer.

My personal thoughts are if you go with a new fridge, the more basic the model the more reliable. Counter intuitive? Yes. But a 15K Toyota Corolla is ten times more reliable than a 75K Mercedes Benz.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 04:45:17 PM »
+1 on the reliability.  That basic fridge will likely outlast the one with the extra features.  Whirlpool and GE both make those.  I would not buy a Frigidaire to save $50 or $100.  The Corolla analogy is a good one.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 05:11:08 AM »
Get a newer energy efficient model since it could largely pay for itself depending how old your fridge is:

see this link for a calculator
michaelbluejay.com/electricity/refrigerators.html

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 04:01:34 PM »
I have a Maytag in the garage that's about 8 years old. Never had any problems with it. I also have a Whirlpool that's just over two years old. Only problem we had there was a plugged/frozen freezer defrost line after an across-town move, which resulted in a bit of water on our floor, but was pretty easy to correct. In general, I've been very happy with every appliance I've purchased from Whirlpool, which also includes two dishwashers (two different homes) and a high efficiency washer and dryer (now 6 years old, no issues; Kenmore, made by Whirlpool).

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 07:55:04 PM »
Whatever you decide to buy, it's gonna break.

One option would be to use a throwaway e-mail address to download the Appliance Samurai's report:
http://fixitnow.com/subscribe-to-appliantology-the-oracle-of-appliance-enlightenment/
Of course it's worth using a real e-mail address because you get occasional e-mail newsletter advice.  I really enjoy the guy's writing, and his videos help a lot with repairs.

Another option would be to look up your favored brand on that website for common problems and other tips.

I think the best strategy would be to stalk Craigslist for two or three brands that you could live with, and then buy a fridge that's less than five years old.  I say "five years" because our local Craigslist is clogged with fridges that don't match the latest colors or styles, and they're all 2-3 years old. 

Vilx-

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 01:06:30 AM »
Get a newer energy efficient model since it could largely pay for itself depending how old your fridge is
Was this aimed at me? I actually did measure the power consumption of said fridge. Turned out to be about $12/month. A new fridge will cost in the $400-$600 range, so even if it uses only half the energy (say, $6/month), it'll still take about 5-8 years for it to pay for itself. Longer, if any repairs are needed.

So, in my case at least, there are lots of good arguments for a new fridge,  but "cheaper" is not one of them, sadly. :(

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 02:01:11 AM »
I said "newer" not "new". Vilx,  my comment was aimed at the OP.  Mainly because when buying a second hand model it will be better value if its not too old, since the energy efficient fridges in the last 2-3 years are now much more efficient.
5-8 years to pay for itself sounds pretty good to me, since I've always had medium priced fridges last  to 20 years age +.

Vilx-

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 04:43:24 AM »
Oh, sorry. Are you certain that the 2-3 years old fridges are really that much more efficient? I would have thought that the technology has had little advances in the past decade - it's not like there's a whole lot that can innovated, no?

Still... it's just, like, $6-$10/month spared. Not like it affects the family budget in any large way...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 05:00:33 AM by Vilx- »

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 06:34:22 AM »
If you can check the Michael Bluejay link I posted, there is a calculator there that will help you calculate whether it is worthwhile for you.

rajaamoshai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Compact Refrigerators
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 04:12:40 AM »
Obviously GE is the best brand in refrigerator industry. But I think Whirlpool is also a very good choice.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 06:59:12 AM »
SubZero are the best refrigerators you can buy.  They are crazy expensive and I'm not sure I would ever buy one but the quality can not be overstated.  Our house came with one and we are just amazed at how long it keeps food fresh.  No other fridge does this. Subzero have dual compressors - one each for freezer and fridge.  The components are all top quality, so even a 15 year old unit looks brand new.

If I were buying my own, I would probably go for a Whirlpool scratch-n-dent return. No water in the door.  These units can be picked up for big discounts at Best Buy or Sears return areas and are fairly reliable.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 09:27:12 PM »
Home depot almost always has a new scratch and dent for half price.  Stop in occasionally until one comes up.

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2019, 09:53:56 AM »
I'm with Nords. I don't believe any appliance is made any better than another. Therefore, you're stuck with your budget and what looks good. Unless you're really tied to a matched-panel system, I think the finishing on the Fisher & Paykel fridges are far and away the best. Super bang for your buck, they are only $2K but I think look waaay better than anything else. The American brands look like vomit, Samsungs look like huge microwaves, Bosch's lacks refinement in the details, and Sub-Zero's look cool circa 1989. Only problem is you rarely find F&P used. If you are going to get a good refrigerator, get a good refrigerator. If you don't mind it looking crummy, get a used one for $100 from someone moving and call it a day until it breaks.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2019, 10:04:11 AM »

[/quote]

My personal thoughts are if you go with a new fridge, the more basic the model the more reliable. Counter intuitive? Yes. But a 15K Toyota Corolla is ten times more reliable than a 75K Mercedes Benz.
[/quote]

FWIW - our close family friend is an appliance repair person.  He tells us that brands fluctuate in terms of quality but the one constant is the simpler the better.  He prefers dials as opposed to buttons (washers/dryers) and said that Consumer Reports generally has the most up to date information who is high on the quality arc in the timeframe you are looking at (in terms of the age of the appliance).

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2019, 10:20:39 AM »
If you found something you like and the price is right, just buy it. However, I only buy whirlpool brandwhen it comes to appliances. I have a 35 cu fridge that only needs a heater and I have had it for 5 years. We downsized and now I am trying to sell the darn thing. You also can buy used one, lots of the pre-owned appliances have only cosmetic damage but are amazing deals as a result.

This ancient thread was brought to you by a spammer. (Spam URL modified.)