Author Topic: Best books on team building / leadership?  (Read 2703 times)

LifestyleDeflation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Living the FIRE life pre-FIRE
Best books on team building / leadership?
« on: June 05, 2015, 11:21:27 AM »
Hey all- what are your recommendations for books on team building and leadership? I'm interested in reading books that are geared towards increasing your own leadership abilities, as well as books on training others to be better leaders.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
Re: Best books on team building / leadership?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 01:02:30 PM »
When I worked in Res Life in college we all took the StrengthFinders 2.0 quiz and read the accompanying book. I believe you can take the quiz for free and it'll give you your top 5 strengths and the details about them, including the positives and negatives. If you have a specific team in mind, you can all take it and discuss your strengths together. I would even venture to say it's good to do on your own - I read the list of strengths it presents and out of all of them, I only correctly guessed one of my top strengths. Once I really read all the descriptions, and even how some of them work together, it made much more sense. Also helped me deal with the 'negatives' that come with the strengths and how to avoid them. If anything, it's very interesting!

Calvawt

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 01:26:49 PM »
The Energy Bus is a good one.   Realizing how much negativity can affect your team is important!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 04:55:56 PM »
Watch the World War II movie 12 O'Clock High starring Gregory Peck.  (I know, not a book recommendation like you asked for.)  Read Dick Winters' memoir. 

Hey all- what are your recommendations for books on team building and leadership? I'm interested in reading books that are geared towards increasing your own leadership abilities, as well as books on training others to be better leaders.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 05:41:30 PM »
Ender's Game by Card
Gates Of Fire by Pressfield
Rogue Warrior by Marcinko
Theodore Rex by Morris
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Covey
Starship Troopers by Heinlein

Those can surely get you started, if you haven't read them all already.