Author Topic: Benefits enrollment error- am I screwed?  (Read 2021 times)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Benefits enrollment error- am I screwed?
« on: December 14, 2019, 07:11:40 PM »
I got a letter today confirming my benefits enrollment at work. I intended to elect family coverage for medical and dental. Apparently either I made an error or there was some kind of system error because it shows dental only for me.

It was a new website this year and maybe I just screwed up. I've always carried all the benefits and thought I elected the same as usual.

I've got 2 kids getting braces next year and a spouse who needs dental surgery so this is a very $$$$$$ problem.

I'm assuming my first step is calling the benefits center at work first thing Monday and begging them to help me fix it. Any other suggestions?

charis

• Magnum Stache
Re: Benefits enrollment error- am I screwed?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 07:52:10 PM »
Does your spouse's employer offer medical and dental? I don't know if it counts but maybe you could pick up coverage there if you lose yours, as a qualifying life event? But I hope yours can be fixed. Good luck.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 08:59:24 PM »
Do you have copies of the paperwork to see if it was correct on your end?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 09:51:07 PM »
I got a letter today confirming my benefits enrollment at work. I intended to elect family coverage for medical and dental. Apparently either I made an error or there was some kind of system error because it shows dental only for me.

It was a new website this year and maybe I just screwed up. I've always carried all the benefits and thought I elected the same as usual.

I've got 2 kids getting braces next year and a spouse who needs dental surgery so this is a very $$$$$$ problem.

I'm assuming my first step is calling the benefits center at work first thing Monday and begging them to help me fix it. Any other suggestions?

Contact HR asap.   It can probably be fixed.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 04:07:47 AM »
At my former employer, changes could be made after open enrollment as long as it was before the end of the year.  After 12/31, no changes could be made.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 06:52:05 AM »
Update: they added the dental coverage! Phew.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 08:04:04 AM »
My dental coverage used to cost $800/year pre-tax and only covered $2,000, so if I had forgotten, it wouldn't have been the end of the world.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 04:14:04 PM »
My dental coverage used to cost $800/year pre-tax and only covered $2,000, so if I had forgotten, it wouldn't have been the end of the world.

Mine costs me 65 a month for a family, for up to 2500/person. So it's worth it if you expect to be paying for any dental work or orthodontia.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!