Author Topic: Beginner credit card?  (Read 3653 times)

Aushin

• Stubble
Beginner credit card?
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:40:26 AM »
I'm looking to start using a credit card for gas purchases.  I attempted a Chase Sapphire Blue application a few months ago but I wasn't approved.  Does anyone know of a non-annual fee card that doesn't really turn people down?  The interest rate isn't terribly important because I don't intend to keep a non-zero balance.

Mr. Everyday Dollar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • http://mreverydaydollar.com
Re: Beginner credit card?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:01:44 AM »
You can try the Chase reconsideration line 888-245-0625 and speak with a credit reconsideration analyst. I've recently started playing the credit card points/miles game and have applied for and received 2 Chase credit cards - Sapphire Preferred and Hyatt. I've found Chase to be very easy to deal with.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:38:02 AM »
Hi Aushin:

Did you resolve the dispute with the hospital bill?  Getting that off your record will help.

Two ideas.  I'm not sure how hard gasoline credit cards are to get now, but they used to be more liberal because everyone buys gas and will pay rather than get cut off.  Also, if you have a credit union, you might sit down with somebody there and see if you qualify for any of their cards.

Capital One seems to accept more higher risk borrowers.  You might try to talk to them to see what they will qualify you for.  I would try talking to them by phone and explaining your situation rather than just filling out an on-line application.

Good luck with getting started with credit.  We know you will manage it wisely once you get it.

Aushin

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 06:15:39 AM »
I haven't paid those creditors just yet.   Kind of anxious about it to be honest.  It feels like a pretty ballsy move to say, "listen, I'll give you X.  But here's whatcha gotta do for ME"

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 06:30:54 AM »
The worst they can say is no.  This is a collection agency, not the original creditor.  They probably bought the account for pennies on the dollar.  Tell them you are broke and if they want to get paid anything, this is what you can afford to pay.  Don't give them any other information, just the offer.  Get a letter from the collection agency stating they will accept the $200 and take the collection account off your record before you send them any money.  If they don't accept $200 with an agreement to take the black mark off your credit, you can always try again in a month.  The goal is as much to get them to take the collection off your record as it is to pay a reasonable amount for the service received.

Until this is resolved, you will have a tough time getting credit.  Get it behind you so you can move forward with your life.