Author Topic: Beds  (Read 6130 times)

uniFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Beds
« on: September 02, 2014, 10:43:42 AM »
Looking for bed recommendations.  At this point, I'll consider any price point, but we need an awesome bed that eliminates all thoughts of comfort because it you just...sleep.  Good sleep is so important and we're not quite getting it.

We tried the Casper bed - 3-layers of memory foam with the top layer being latex.  It is comfortable to me, and doesn't make me hot.  But we gave it more than 30 days and it is just too firm for the wife.  Good quality bed for the $ though.

Has anyone tried both a Casper AND a Tuft and Needle? 

Has anyone tried a wool bed or wool topper?

Any other "must see" products to consider?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: Beds
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 06:59:53 PM »
Are you asking about beds or mattresses?

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:22:45 PM »
Although I haven't tried the beds you've mentioned I'm going to throw a plug into at least consider a hammock.
I've not been sleeping well due to a chronic condition.  When I really need good sleep, I choose the hammock.  There's research out there suggesting that the tiny bit of rocking helps deeper sleep.

I also love being able to wash my bed.   When not in use, the hammock can hang on the wall so is perfect for small places.
There's an art to sleeping in a hammock and most folks who use beds try a hammock and do it wrong,  then blame the hammock. Or they get an unsuitable size/style and blame the hammock ( those stretcher bags are not recommended - they cause tipping).  Definitely read up on it before committing.

Mine is "family size" Mayan hammock.  It's advertised as enough for 4 (Mayan) people and I feel very fancy with all the space!

Here's a link to a hammock forum for anyone interested:
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum

uniFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
Are you asking about beds or mattresses?

Yes.  I'm shopping for a mattress, but if there is a superior bed system that should be considered I would look at that too.

TheGadfly

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 12:36:18 PM »
I haven't tried Casper but I currently have a Tuft and Needle bed and I love it.  That said, my wife and I like a firm mattress. 

Looking at the Casper materials and structure, I'm willing to bet that a T&N mattress would be even more firm.  To rate the firmness on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being an ultra-plush tempur-pedic and 10 being the ground) it's about a 7.

Still, if you are looking for a bed with good support and more pressure relief, I would recommend a T&N bed with a nice mattress topper.  The mattresses are cheap enough that you could buy a king size mattress and a high-end memory foam topper for less than $1000

If you decide to go that route, here is a link for $50 off: https://www.tuftandneedle.com/r/uMO1bDGc

If not, just keep searching sleeplikethedead.com.  You should be able to find enough information to point you in the right direction.

Good Luck!

uniFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 01:30:35 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Funny you should mention that idea.  I contacted Casper about possibly returning the bed, and they offered to send out a high quality gel foam topper to soften the bed.  Now the wife loves it, but my back is getting wrecked!  Oh well.  We'll find the right combo somehow.

Kudos to Casper for awesome customer service.  Likewise, if anyone is thinking of giving them a try, let me know.  They have the same $50 off referral deal I can give you.  It looks to be a quality product.  Firmness not to someone's liking is the only complaint I've run across (including our household).

swallowtail

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 03:59:10 PM »
I bought a wool mattress, wool mattress topper, and a self-build bedframe from Shepard's dream and I love the whole set. My boyfriend thinks that it is too firm though.  I also got a good laugh when a friend did a "launch and land" on my bed, expecting a bouncy landing only to hear her say "WTF your bed is really hard."  My mom has described it as a monks bed.

I sleep well on it, like that it is supporting a small business with sustainable business practices, I am not sleeping in insane / weird fire retardants and chemicals, and I know it will last me a very, very, very long time.  Your opinion might differ if you like a particularly soft bed.

Stlbroke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 04:57:52 PM »
I bough my mattress from Sams and it's the worst I've ever slept on. It was either 4 or $500. I sleep in a lot of hotels due to my job and even the worst hotels are more comfortable. We'll now that I think of it maybe they are just more broken in. I'll tell my girlfriend that what's wrong!

PeachFuzzInVA

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 05:11:17 PM »
We have an I-Comfort. I used to sell mattresses part time and, in my opinion, it offered all the benefits of the Tempur-pedic without the huge pricetag.

Mr. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
    • Frugalwoods
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 06:39:24 PM »
Two years ago I bought a king sized memory foam mattress from Amazon.  Back then it was $279, nowadays it's $359.  Either way, it's a steal.

Besides being nice and firm, Prime Shipping put it right at my door for free in two days! (amazon _has_ to lose money on that!)

After two years of nightly use I can't discern any significant differences in support.  It's held up really well.

It's so cheap that even if it lasts 1/4 as long as a tempurpedic I'm still way ahead financially.  I rate this as one of the great "furnishing a new house" hacks.  I bought used stuff for everything else, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a used mattress.  Thankfully the internet delivered!

This is the mattress I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050JL32U/

Several folks in my office have bought it over the past two years on my recommendation and have so far been pleased as well.

(I also wrote an extended review on the blog)

Mega

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 06:47:35 PM »
You also need to take into account the pillow. I just got a water pillow two nights ago , and had the first good sleep in years last night. It may have been luck, but I am hoping for another good night sleep tonight.

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
We just bought a Select Foam mattress. They have 1:1 comparison with Tempurpedic, so we bought based on the Tempurpedic we liked.

So far, no complaints.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!