Author Topic: Bed sheets - I need a buy it for life suggestion, please!  (Read 27715 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Bed sheets - I need a buy it for life suggestion, please!
« on: February 27, 2015, 11:35:44 PM »
My DH and I bought fancy organic bamboo high thread count or something like that... And those sheets have ripped, just two years later! They were soft and didn't pill, but man - what a ripoff! (No pun intended.)

Do any of you awesome peeps know of what to look for in sheets? Best part is, I won't be buying any! I just need to put something on the wedding registry, and this is practical.

Yep. Thanks in advance :)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Bed sheets - I need a buy it for life suggestion, please!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 11:56:57 PM »
My DH and I bought fancy organic bamboo high thread count or something like that... And those sheets have ripped, just two years later! They were soft and didn't pill, but man - what a ripoff! (No pun intended.)

Do any of you awesome peeps know of what to look for in sheets? Best part is, I won't be buying any! I just need to put something on the wedding registry, and this is practical.

Yep. Thanks in advance :)

After years of looking, I finally bought a plain fitted sheet (one only) from Dania Down, their top line, with a surprise Christmas cash gift this year.  I think you just need to be prepared to spend at least $80 (reg price) and look for sales or discounts.  Unfortunately, the best, plain items are rarely discounted.  The only great, long lasting sheets I have ever had have been overpriced ( to me), that then last 5x as long.  Go figure.

So just go into that higher-end speciality bedding store and ask for advice.  One sheet as a gift won't break the bank.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:35:59 AM by goldielocks »

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 04:45:56 AM »
If you are looking at a BIFL purchase on sheets you actually want a somewhat lower thread count (300-400) because the threads are thicker and sturdier.  Go with white and 100% cotton as those can be bleached repeatedly to keep them looking good longer.  Any decent department store will have a nice selection and you can go in and feel them and decide on which brand/thread count you prefer.  And I second that good sheets are "expensive" but its a case of you get what you pay for in that better sheets last a lot longer than cheap ones.  Also, we have flannel for winter so each set of sheets only gets used 1/2 the year which also helps them to last longer (we actually have 2 sets of each so per year each sets is only on the bed for a cumulative 3 months).

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 05:20:36 AM »
Yeah don't buy bamboo. Bamboo is just a type of rayon, and if you have any rayon clothes you know they pill like nobody's business. Linen will supposedly really last forever if you alternate (one week of one set, one week of the other set).

Cotton is good for those of us who can't quite stomach paying hundreds of dollars per sheet. I have a set of plain white Ralph Lauren sheets that I got a TJ Maxx or Marshalls and they are in great shape. My other set, from Target, are pretty crappy.

My rule of thumb is that if the sheets feel really soft out of the bag, they are probably going to pill up; if they feel smooth but a bit hard, they will not pill so much. I think it might be the difference between percale ("harder") and sateen ("softer").

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 08:23:14 AM »
100% cotton, from The Company Store or Lands End. Nothing from Target, department stores, Kohl's,  Ikea, etc. No bamboo, no poly blend, etc. King size will run $60 or so, but you can likely find discount codes online.

Personally, I purchase only white sheets and towels - that way if I need to replace one thing (a hand towel, a pillow case) it is easy to find a matching item.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 09:36:20 AM »
Great advice, thanks everyone!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 10:12:47 AM »
This isn't actually an answer to your question more another point of view.  I used to look for sheets that would last a long time but eventually discovered that buying them at the thrift store made more sense.  People give away perfectly good sheets all the time when they change their decoration scheme.  I have sheets and pillow cases for the rest of my life in my linen closet at a cost of about $20.  I deal with the matching issues by staying in the same color family.  I have seen lots of decorators feature a plain bottom sheet and a color co-ordinated patterned top sheet.  I just do the matching myself instead of paying someone $100 plus to do it for me. 

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 10:21:08 AM »
Great tip! I was looking at expensive linen sheets, but this makes sense.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 11:25:14 AM »
+1 to the TJ Maxx suggestion. They sometimes get phenomenal quality items in (at least in my area they do/did).

As to the white suggestion- YMMV, but I prefer to do my flannel winter sheets one color (tan) and my light summer sheets another color (white) so that I can readily tell sets apart when getting them down from the top of my closet. I never really bleach anything though, so there you go.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 04:40:14 PM »
If you have Tuesday Morning stores near you, I find the best deals on high end sheets there.

I enjoy the luxury of nice soft high thread count Egyptian cotton sheets. I figure I spend a third of my day in bed and it's worth $50 to me. However, they definitely don't last forever.

The longest lasting sheets I've owned were polyester blend; not as luxurious but long lasting.

I don't buy sateen sheets, they seem to pill even if they're expensive.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 04:44:45 PM »

Peony

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 08:56:03 PM »
I tend to like white comforter covers and pillowcases but I always use a black fitted sheet, in case it gets bled on. Sorry if that's TMI.

Dimitri

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 09:20:08 PM »
On July 7, 2007 (7.7.07) I bought 800 thread count sheets at Dillards.  I do not remember the brand.  They were on clearance.  Unfortunately I can't lay my hands on my accounts book right now but if memory serves me correct I paid something like $80.  They are the only set of sheets that we own.  Seven plus years later they look like new and have been a delight to sleep upon.  I would look for heavy high thread count sheets at a major department store and see what they have on clearance.  You may find something good if you aren't too picky about the color.  These sheets are brown.  They replaced green sheets that were five years old - 600 thread count.  Don't even ask what color the blankets or comforters are.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 07:05:23 AM »
I can vouch for the quality of The Company Store linens. They run periodic sales and if you don't care about color/pattern, excellent deals can be found!

In terms of sorting linens, I got a great tip that I'll pass along: Put your clean fitted, flat, and one pillowcase all inside the other pillowcase before you store them. That way you know you have a full set of sheets waiting for you.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 08:13:28 AM »
I've used sheets for a decade+, but I didn't know that sheets that would last 25-50yrs of regular use existed.

I downcycle my sheets from bedroom to camping use to rags so they are well utilized.

-- Vik

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 08:35:12 AM »
Mezzati sheets are the best I've had.  No pilling, stay in place, durable, and soft.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IHPX9MG/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 09:02:48 AM »

If you have Tuesday Morning stores near you, I find the best deals on high end sheets there.

I enjoy the luxury of nice soft high thread count Egyptian cotton sheets. I figure I spend a third of my day in bed and it's worth $50 to me. However, they definitely don't last forever.

The longest lasting sheets I've owned were polyester blend; not as luxurious but long lasting.

I don't buy sateen sheets, they seem to pill even if they're expensive.

Agree, Egyptian cotton are the best I've ever slept in. I've bought the highest thread count sateen I could afford and they can't hold a candle to a 300 thread count Egyptian cotton. I got some deals on them online and they've held up fantastic, and are ridiculously comfortable.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »
I've never had sheets rip, and I buy at walmart. What the hell are you folks doing to these sheets? Although the frequent bleach you folks seem to use probably doesn't help, since it degrades fibers over time.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 12:07:27 PM »
I've never had sheets rip, and I buy at walmart. What the hell are you folks doing to these sheets? Although the frequent bleach you folks seem to use probably doesn't help, since it degrades fibers over time.

My sheets get threadbare first, then will rip in those spots during a washing. This is worse with flannel than regular cotton, IME. And I don't bleach. I usually get about 5 years out of sheet sets- I have two at a time, I use each for about 1/2 the year, wash them weekly. But I buy cheap sets, or get them as hand me downs from family.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 10:19:38 AM »
I don't know about BIFL, but I use $60 sheets I buy at BJ's.  They last me about 4 years on average, but feel like knew till the very end when usually a hole gets ripped somewhere in the fitted sheet.

They are either 600 of 800 count and come in several subdued collors (including off-white) that would go with any comforter. 

I really like them and don't plan to switch any others as long as BJ's is carrying these.

SummerLovin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 05:14:21 PM »
The best I have purchased were 450 TC Egyptian cotton, and that was 7 years ago. They look and feel brand new.  I purchased 2 sets of solid neutral colors, 1 tan and 1 gold and switch them out.
I purchased them from King Linen on Ebay but they have a website as well. http://www.kinglinen.com/
Last year I needed to buy sheets for a smaller bed, so I purchased a set with a higher TC 800,(cotton sateen) from ROSS, but they were not as good as the 450 in my experience. I then started looking for reviews and came across this one from Consumer Reports, excerpt below.
"Spending money on sheets that have more than a 400 thread count is not necessary, says Slaven. Instead, focus on the fabric the sheets are made of. Combed cotton, Egyptian cotton or Pima cotton are the best choices. Read the labels closely. If you like soft sheets, choose a sateen but if you prefer crisp sheets, try percale. And keep in mind that selecting sheets by how they feel in the store can be misleading because manufacturers add hand enhancers, silicone softeners, that wash out after the first trip to a laundry. That’s why it’s important to keep the receipt and return the sheets if you don’t like how they feel after they’ve been washed."
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/09/higher-thread-count-doesn-t-guarantee-better-sheets/index.htm
Good Luck!

Susy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 07:41:15 PM »
There is so much more to choosing high-quality bed sheets than just thread count. Length of the fiber and quality of the fabric have way more to do with the comfort of your bed sheets than thread count. Consumer Reports found that thread count has become way overhyped and in some cases just false: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/09/higher-thread-count-doesn-t-guarantee-better-sheets/index.htm

This is a really awesome resource to help choose the right bed sheets for you https://sites.google.com/site/bestbedsheetsreview/

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 08:38:13 PM »
Mezzati sheets are the best I've had.  No pilling, stay in place, durable, and soft.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IHPX9MG/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

Saved for when it's needed- thank you!

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 11:22:12 PM »
I wait for 75% off sales on good quality sheets, then use them for years and years.

I don't aim for high thread count sheets (as other have said the higher thread counts sheets have finer threads, rather than more threads), but it does seem that I bought a 1000TC set the last time around. It will be interesting to see how they go.

I've bought high end cotton sateen sheets in the past and have never had them pill. But, I rarely use the dryer (and never bleach).

Does anyone else find that the bottom sheets wears out faster than the top sheet?

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 02:51:05 AM »
Best sheets for life:

Cuddledown (best down comforters, too), look for sales, still using since '94

Peacock Alley (when it's in the Tuesday Morning ad, be there right when the store opens, I would not pay full price but they are super nice. Sometimes on Sierra Trading Post, too)
they have lasted 20 yrs, look new

Land's End 200 ct percale and up but the 200 ct have lasted for years and I love percale.  They have Egyptian cotton I think still and Supima- 20yrs

Garnet Hil- wait for sales

I just recently got email for Designer Living, tons of discounts, a lot of the sheets sounded like crap (and TC doesn't really mean much, google why, that helps you decide which sheets.)  Anyway, buried amongst the crap, they had ECHO sheet sets, which are good, I got 3 sets for $64, free ship, $7 credit towards next order

I didn't read every post, so ignore if repeating, I would try a set of sateen and a set of percale. To me they are totally different and I much prefer percale, but sateen is more common.  If you don't want to buy 2 sets and want to wait to get them as gifts, read up on the differences so you have some idea what to put on your registry.  Same- Google about why TC is often a scam. If the sheets are sold separately, I would get 4 pillowcases if you think you'll want 2 each.

Congrats!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 03:13:18 AM »
I have never had a decent set only last 5 yrs, I only buy new ones because I'm dead sick of them.

BBB has their own line, high quality, the salesman walks the sample around the dept to compare them with others.  Convince you how soft they are. Don't buy those, BF had them, they were never soft, almost scratchy and barely fit his not-very-high mattress

did you put pillows on your registry? There are some awesome pillows out there. And duvets and covers?  I love bedding, does it show?  If you ever see a Peacock Alley duvet cover, you have found the Holy Grail, buy it (if it's from a discounter, not full price) even if you don't have a duvet, you'll want one. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 06:49:43 AM »
Does anyone use silk sheets?  My experience with silk is rather limited . . . basically I have two pairs of silk shorts that I used to box in.  They were pretty close to indestructible though, took a lot of abuse, and were very cool and comfortable.  Would silk bedsheets be similar?

Jeddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Living-Simply
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 06:52:51 AM »
Buy the thread count/feel/size/color that you want from a company like L.L. Bean where you can return/exchange for life - if your sheets tear/rip through normal wear and tear, just contact them and they'll exchange or give you a refund. For life.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 07:13:36 AM »

Buy the thread count/feel/size/color that you want from a company like L.L. Bean where you can return/exchange for life - if your sheets tear/rip through normal wear and tear, just contact them and they'll exchange or give you a refund. For life.

My LLBean sheets are durable and very soft. If you have an LLBean credit card, you can get them monogrammed for free.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 09:11:38 AM »
Also posting to recommend LL Bean.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2015, 11:53:15 AM »

true, I had my grandmother's LL Bean down blanket, it started to get weaker and there were holes after I washed it.  Returned, replaced, no questions asked

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2015, 12:01:29 PM »
We'll be buying LL Bean sheets next. They have an awesome return policy, so I'll just return them if they develop holes. As an adult, I've never had a set of sheets last more than about 2 years. But I usually only have one set at time (washed, dried, and back on the bed every week).

I would love to buy linen sheets. I sew as hobby and love to work with linen. But it's too expensive. I can't spend 500$ on one set of sheets. And my husband hates the idea of linen sheets. He likes polyester satin sheets...

humbleMouse

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »
Egyptian cotton 1000 thread count sheets here --- best I've ever had.  Haven't ripped and I've had them for about a year.  I bought them from one of those big box return re sale stores.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2015, 12:38:46 PM »
We had our first set (plain white from Dillards) for 8 years of daily use.  Eventually what failed was the fitted sheet's elastic.  I could have added more elastic, but after 8 years of use, eh, it became a ghost halloween costume instead! 

When we replaced them, I got a new set pretty cheap on Black Friday, from a department store again, just whatever their super special was on moderate thread count sheets.  If they last another 8 years, I will be happy.  If not I will probably switch to LL Bean.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2015, 01:35:53 PM »
This isn't actually an answer to your question more another point of view.  I used to look for sheets that would last a long time but eventually discovered that buying them at the thrift store made more sense.  People give away perfectly good sheets all the time when they change their decoration scheme.  I have sheets and pillow cases for the rest of my life in my linen closet at a cost of about $20.  I deal with the matching issues by staying in the same color family.  I have seen lots of decorators feature a plain bottom sheet and a color co-ordinated patterned top sheet.  I just do the matching myself instead of paying someone $100 plus to do it for me.

I agree. I paid $2.99 for a Ralph Lauren fitted sheet in a beige color. I can buy 20 of those for the price of a high end sheet new.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2015, 02:50:59 PM »
No such thing as a BIFL on bed sheets, unless you want to sleep on plastic. Friction breaks cloth down over time, both you laying on it and the machine washing it. Doesn't matter how awesome the thread is, eventually it becomes thin and will rip.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2015, 03:46:48 PM »
After having seams rip out on cheap but high-thread-count sheets, I scored a set of Coyuchi organic cotton sheets from sierratradingpost.com last year and LOVE them.  I can't speak for durability yet, but they seem like they'll last a long time.  They are a few hundred dollars for a King set normally; I think I paid around $70.  I think they're about 300 thread count.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2015, 08:46:33 PM »
I second the hemp/cotton sheets, purchased them the same place Mark31 did. They softened gorgeously after a few washes and have lasted very very well.
Also, linen sheets last very well too.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2015, 12:14:46 AM »
Noted, I've been ogling those sheets.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2015, 05:22:57 AM »
I've been thrilled with my Costco purchased Kirkland 540TC sheets.  I've had 800, 1000, ect, but these have been the best.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2015, 05:52:38 AM »
Does anyone use silk sheets?  My experience with silk is rather limited . . . basically I have two pairs of silk shorts that I used to box in.  They were pretty close to indestructible though, took a lot of abuse, and were very cool and comfortable.  Would silk bedsheets be similar?

So . . . nobody uses 'em?

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2015, 07:33:30 AM »

No, I don't, but I do have a sleeping bag liner made of silk that I've used travelling abroad and whilst bushwalking. Extremely lightweight, very very tough. Probably would be a buy-for-life type option.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2015, 01:19:08 PM »
 [/quote]

[/quote]

I was given a set years ago.  I didn't like them.  They didn't breathe enough.  This is probably a woman thing, but if you had dry skin on you feet, hands or elbows, they would "catch" on them.  I gave them away.  Maybe they are better now?

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2015, 02:07:24 PM »
My suggestion is to find sheets in a thrift shop. There are usually some nice sets that someone bought and never used. Another suggestion is check on facebook for a local classifieds group. Join it and look at the listings after Christmas time.

I had lots of issues with silk sheets constantly catching on my feet. It was annoying. Also, the pillows and sheet would slide off the bed! You want some friction to keep the sheet and pillows from moving around. If everything is silky smooth then just bumping it or rolling over can make everything slide right off. I would wake up with no pillows and no sheet because they all slid to the floor while I turning over in my sleep. If you allow a dog or cat to sleep with you then their nails are going to make pulls in the sheets because they'll be holding on harder to keep from slipping. Although it was a bit funny to watch my cat pounce on the bed and slip right off the other side the first time she jumped on it. Poor kitty. It wasn't very long before these sheets met with their untimely demise which I can't really blame on the sheets. One day they were destroyed when a vacuum cleaner saleslady wanted to demonstrate that you can use the vacuum to clean your bed instead of washing the sheets. Sucked them right off the bed and clogged up the vacuum! I wasn't home at the time. I have no idea what she was thinking. That's exactly what I would have expected to happen. It didn't make any tears or rips in them, but the material was really messed up after that.

It's possible my sheets were some crap fake silky satin masquerading as real quality silk, and if only I'd found a higher quality material I wouldn't have had these problems. Their tag and packaging claimed they were silk. I'm not giving silk sheets another chance just to find out.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2015, 12:25:36 AM »
Fatcat, I nearly spat my coffee laughing….both at the kitty and the vacuum cleaner saleswoman

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2015, 04:19:45 PM »
After having seams rip out on cheap but high-thread-count sheets, I scored a set of Coyuchi organic cotton sheets from sierratradingpost.com last year and LOVE them.  I can't speak for durability yet, but they seem like they'll last a long time.  They are a few hundred dollars for a King set normally; I think I paid around $70.  I think they're about 300 thread count.

never heard of these, ever.  2 days later I get a deal email and their site is having a very good sale.  So if interested, this is a good time. 

Tuesday Morning starting Sunday is offering Peacock Alley flannels for $30. Have never seen them that low but I hate flannel so I won't be buying.

jenniferm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2016, 09:35:20 AM »
I would still go with bamboo sheets, but choose a higher quality one.
I've had my bamboo sheets for 3 years already, they still look like new ones, they're soft and they didn't pill.
I also recommend bamboo because before I bought 100% bamboo bedding I had issues with allergies.
After I bought bamboo sheets, pillows and even a bamboo mattress, I no longer have issues with the allergies and I sleep a lot better and wake up more refreshed. I'm not sure what was causing the allergies, but bamboo definitely fixed it.
I have the Oasis Fine Linens sheets, you can see a comparison on this site: http://everythingbamboo.website/bamboo-sheets/ .
Do your due diligence before buying and read some amazon reviews, that's how I chose mine and I didn't have issues with the Oasis sheets.
Definitely recommending bamboo products!

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2016, 09:55:46 AM »
We used our last set of sheets something like 15 years, and they were a bit faded but still in relatively good condition ... but we bought a new mattress, and it's THICK; the old sheets didn't fit.  After a decade and a half of use, I didn't feel badly about retiring them.  It's worth noting that we only owned ONE SET of sheets in that 15 years -- we just washed them and returned them to the bed immediately, so they had real use. 

They were Waverly fabric.  They may be terribly out of fashion, but I love the deep, rich colors and heavy floral patterns.

The only sheets I've ever had actually wear out were flannel sheets.  I think they just don't quite have the same long life as percale sheets. 

In closing, I don't think rest-of-your-life sheets are realistic, but a good quality set should give you a decade's service.  Even if they cost $100, you're only talking about $10/year. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2016, 11:28:07 AM »
The only time I have ever had sheets shred was when I washed them soon after a load that had bleach. I assume the residual bleach did a number on the cotton/poly sheets from the Mart store. I was surprsed when it happened because they literally shredded when pressure applied.

Why do sheets have to last a lifetme? I don't thnk that is realistic or even desireable.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 11:29:54 AM by iris lily »

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2016, 01:24:06 AM »
Kirkland sheets at Costco.

$58 for 3-4 years of use.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!