Author Topic: Bed sheets - I need a buy it for life suggestion, please!  (Read 27712 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Bed sheets - I need a buy it for life suggestion, please!
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2016, 09:18:46 AM »
Kirkland sheets at Costco.

$58 for 3-4 years of use.

That's not a good deal IMO. 3-4 years doesn't seem like terribly long, mediocre at best, and $58 is a lot for mediocre.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2016, 09:47:49 AM »
We got these linen sheets for our anniversary -- I had put them on my wish list and my in-laws got them for us -- and I LOVE them. LOVE. They are perfect whether it's cold or hot outside and they just feel fantastic. I dont know about longevity as we've only had them about 4 months, but they are pretty thick, so I imagine they will be good for a while.

I have always liked a sturdy percale much better than a soft sateen -- if you like really buttery sheets these might not do it for you. They are perfect for me though and I feel like a fancy princess sleeping on them!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VLE33BW?vs=1

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2016, 11:20:21 AM »
Everybody is talking about luxury high-thread-count sheets - and I do admit, I like mine, I buy them on steep discount at Tuesday Morning.  But overall, they are not the sturdiest sheets, especially the really soft fine ones.  The sturdiest sheets are the cheap polyester blend ones I used to buy in my student days - those suckers lasted forever.  You could probably find them at Target or Walmart or such. Polyester is pretty tough, I have polyester clothes that have lasted decades. You won't get that luxurious feel though.

If you DO want luxury sheets, I'd avoid sateen ( I've bought some very nice sets that pilled almost immediately) and stick with cotton, no bamboo or rayon or silk. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2016, 11:05:19 AM »
I think it is unrealistic to buy for life. For me, I look for 250-300 count cotton percale sheets. They have sheets like that at: the company store, Lands end, and Vermont country store. These type of sheets wear well and last a long time. The sheets that I had that wore forever, were a cotton/poly blend. However cotton/poly blends have a slightly "slicker" feel than 100% cotton.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:13:28 AM by partgypsy »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2016, 11:14:55 AM »
Relevant: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-buy-sheets-by-thread-count-2014-12

Thread count is a lie, basically.
I was going to say the same thing, but you included a better citation than I would have. Go Happy Plant!

We're jonesing for better sheets, but a new mattress is on the horizon, so I'll put the cart after the horse for now. Still interested in suggestions,  so p2f.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2016, 01:01:57 PM »
Buy it for life bed sheets is basically impossible, unless you die before you wear them out. We bought 3-4 sets of bed sheets for our new king size bed when we were newly married and now, 10 years later, each one of them have finally developed holes from getting threadbare and have had to be replaced. The area around our feet seemed to be where they wear the most.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2016, 01:04:45 PM »
My wife and I have sleep number sheets (gift for our wedding), and they are fantastic. We've only been sleeping on them for 13 months, but no problems. So far, they have been amazing.

They are incredibly expensiive, but Sleep Number regularly runs sales (50-75% off) on them.