Author Topic: Becoming obsessed with FIRE  (Read 8460 times)

WestchesterFrugal

Becoming obsessed with FIRE
« on: March 16, 2014, 07:42:21 AM »
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:32:53 AM by WestchesterFrugal »

golfer44

• Stubble
Re: Becoming obsessed with FIRE
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 09:26:07 AM »
Oh no thanks, I already have one.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 09:43:09 AM »
People can become obsessed with literally anything. What's the point? Or more succinctly, what's the question given that this is in Ask a Mustachian?

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 09:56:40 AM »

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 09:58:26 AM »
People can become obsessed with literally anything. What's the point? Or more succinctly, what's the question given that this is in Ask a Mustachian?

The point is to reinforce WestchesterFrugal's idea that their behavior is totally normal, prudent and responsible and that we're the batshit ones, possibly with a mental problem.

Perhaps... but I'm willing to give the post and poster the benefit of the doubt. Consider that the reddit thread contains several sane people who are advocating living life rather than living the refresh button on their account page. Consider that we've discussed that same thing here probably a half dozen times.

I'll go back to my original question. So?

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 10:05:12 AM »
So fighting fire w/ fire is the obvious solution given your interpretation of this post as being a poke in the eye to this community.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 11:02:57 AM »
not a great feeling to be despised without even really being known or fully understood

Again, I would urge you to look at how you are interacting on the forum with people (re: snarky comments and such).

As the saying goes, "If one person calls you an jackass, ignore them.  If two people call you a jackass, start to wonder.  If three people call you a jackass, start shopping for a saddle."

If this is the type of response a simple link generates, you may need to start to wonder...

/just trying to be helpful
//no offense intended
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 11:07:06 AM »
I agree with arebelspy but I think we need to remember the forum rules here as well. Take it easy people. Let's be civil.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 11:09:58 AM »
No one is in the wrong in this thread.  Posters are responding to you based on your online persona.  Yes, they read into your posts.  Everyone does this.  It's built on how you interact with a community.  You are not being given the benefit of the doubt, as most would with new posters, after your previous 100+ posts.

Right now you have a damaged reputation, and it will take some work to repair it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 11:21:17 AM »
No one is in the wrong in this thread.  Posters are responding to you based on your online persona.  Yes, they read into your posts.  Everyone does this.  It's built on how you interact with a community.  You are not being given the benefit of the doubt, as most would with new posters, after your previous 100+ posts.

Right now you have a damaged reputation, and it will take some work to repair it.
fair enough, although there is quite a difference between going out of the way to make a derogatory comment on someone's post and responding in defense and calling them out on it

At this point I think you'll have to accept that you're going to get some backlash for awhile.

The best way to deal with it, IMO, is ignore the negativity and address the actual points in a friendly and helpful manner.

matchewed asked a few times why you posted this, or what we could learn from it.

What's the point?

Doing that will eventually have less and less people hostile to your comments and you can interact like a normal person.  But you'll have to prove you can first, and that's the best way to do that, IMO.

lexie2000

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 11:45:10 AM »
Has anyone ever experienced this thought crossing their mind?

I'm 22 years old, just got my first job out of college. I am very set on becoming financially independent by the time I hit my 40's.

I've done vast amounts of research, I have allocated money into several funds, basically I know exactly where my money is, what i'm doing with it, and it's working...

But at the same time, i've become someone who I never was.

I count every single penny, i'll look at my accounts online multiple times a day when I know there will no changes, I don't go out anymore, I don't spend money ever unless I absolutely need to.

It's kind of scary, and made me think i'm a hoarder, but not with junk, with money...

Geez, the OP is only 22.....barely old enough to truly know what they really want out of life.  I think they recieved some constructive advice in the responses.

I think most people who have goals to FIRE almost have to be highly focused regarding their personal finances.  It can boil over into obsession if one is not careful....which is why finding some semblance of balance is a constant discussion on early retirement forums.

golfer44

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 07:16:30 PM »
Guys guys, hold up.. has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 07:24:09 PM »
Guys guys, hold up.. has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Come again? *scratches head*

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 12:11:46 AM »
apologies it should have been posted in the "Mustachianism Around The Web" section

very interesting comments re my intentions though - not a great feeling to be despised without even really being known or fully understood
You posted a naked link with no interpretation or amplification that would give any of the readers an idea of your thoughts.  You left us free to decide what you're thinking.

Having been around forums for a decade or so, it seems that you've been told things that you're really not willing to accept.  If you feel that you're being unduly attacked for your philosophy or lifestyle then I suggest you take your question over to Early-Retirement.org or Bogleheads.  I can't guarantee that you'll find more cheery consensus over there than you have here, but you'll certainly get additional opinions on your ideas.

The mods keep reminding the readers to critique the ideas, not the poster.  You're not doing much better than the rest of the readership.  If you don't like what you're reading here then your choices are introspection or seeking opinions elsewhere.

I can read the words, but I'm not sure what question you're asking.  Is this autocorrect from a mobile device?  Could you restate your query?

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 01:30:42 AM »
Come again? *scratches head*
Golfer is just having a bit of fun.  :^)
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/has-anyone-really-been-far-even-as-decided-to-use-even-go-want-to-do-look-more-like

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 09:17:51 AM »
I wish I had that "obsession" when I was 22 (or 24 or 32 for that matter)!

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 10:24:11 AM »
I wish I had that "obsession" when I was 22 (or 24 or 32 for that matter)!

Yeah, me too!  My only obsession at 22 was finding out where the party was that weekend!

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »
Addressing the link, rather than WF's on-line personality, though I will use him/her as an example.
I count every single penny, i'll look at my accounts online multiple times a day when I know there will no changes, I don't go out anymore, I don't spend money ever unless I absolutely need to.

Seems like we have two opposite extremes here, the penny-pinching miser crouching in a cave versus the profiligate:
Have you seen the well-to-do, up and down Park Avenue
 On that famous thoroughfare, with their noses in the air
 High hats and Arrowed collars, white spats and lots of dollars
 Spending every dime...
http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/f/fred_astaire/puttin_on_the_ritz_lyrics.html

Neither one seems to be getting anywhere near as much enjoyment OR security out of life as they could by adopting a more moderate course.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:20:11 PM by Jamesqf »