Author Topic: becoming more minimalist with a gear heavy hobby  (Read 5195 times)

steviesterno

• Bristles
becoming more minimalist with a gear heavy hobby
« on: July 09, 2018, 10:01:29 AM »

Is it possible? I've read a bit and watched a few documentaries on becoming a minimalist or at least following some of the ideas of it. And then I remember that I like to shoot stuff and compete in shooting matches. I used to more, but I still enjoy reading about it, going to the range, gunsmithing, etc. And as a junkie of this and similar hobby for the last decade or so, I have accumulated piles of gun stuff and an eclectic collection. I stockpile ammo when it's on sale, have all the gear to load my own, have mags for guns I don't own, have probably 2 rifles worth of random spare parts and half done projects I will most likely never get to.

Is there a way to consolidate life and focus on being a minimalist while still maintaining a good gun collection? Or do I stop hoarding this stuff and only keep the one AR and 2 22s that I actually shoot and enjoy?

I have I think 6 shotguns and I haven't fired a shotgun round since we found out my wife was pregnant.... 3 years ago.

This isn't meant to be a pro/anti gun discussion, and I'm in Texas, so everything I have is legal. Also the only times my guns have ever hurt anybody is when the got hot and I touched them or that one time I pinched my finger pretty good.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
Re: becoming more minimalist with a gear heavy hobby
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 10:12:28 AM »
Or do I stop hoarding this stuff and only keep the one AR and 2 22s that I actually shoot and enjoy?

You just answered your own question. Why in the world would you buy, store and maintain a big gun collection when you only enjoy and shoot a few guns/rifles? Start getting rid of stuff. Get down to the 3 you mention above and see what that's like.

My guns are bikes and my litmus test is 1) do I love the bike? and 2) do I ride it? If I don't say yes to both I start the process of selling the bike in question.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:15:10 AM »
I've pared down being a winter sports enthusiast and avid outdoor individual. IMO, minimalism can look, feel, be whatever works for you. I keep what I'm passionate about without going overboard. Every piece of my gear is carefully cultivated. I buy quality as opposed to quanity so it lasts longer. I go through my gear regularly and maintain it so I don't want too much of it now lol. Also I try not to get hooked on the latest gadget or keeping up with friends or fellow like minded individuals who have it all.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 11:22:43 AM »
Following!  I have similar thoughts and I only have 3 shotguns.  One of them is a project that I'll probably never finish.  I keep telling myself one day I might go bird hunting again.  I haven't been bird hunting in 12+ years now. 

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 11:26:04 AM »
Following!  I have similar thoughts and I only have 3 shotguns.  One of them is a project that I'll probably never finish.  I keep telling myself one day I might go bird hunting again.  I haven't been bird hunting in 12+ years now.

Do you feel that keeping the 3 shotguns including the project is detrimental to your life in any way?

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 11:29:39 AM »

Do you feel that keeping the 3 shotguns including the project is detrimental to your life in any way?

Nope.  Not detrimental in any way.  Only real opportunity cost is that I could invest or otherwise use the money that is tied up in them.  They may or may not appreciate in the future, but I'm not too worried about it since their value is relatively small (~$1000).

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 11:30:51 AM »

I don't think my shotgun collection is detrimental, but couldn't that locked capital be freed up to be put to work on something better/more rewarding/more in line with my current life?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 11:36:50 AM »
I have the same addiction.
I recommend you keep adding to the collection and build yourself a big room or building dedicated to this hobby.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »
Nope.  Not detrimental in any way.  Only real opportunity cost is that I could invest or otherwise use the money that is tied up in them.  They may or may not appreciate in the future, but I'm not too worried about it since their value is relatively small (~$1000).

Doesn't sound like anything to worry about then. Back when my garage was jammed with bicycles I was highly motivated to get rid of some. Now with lots of room to manoeuvre and some bike hooks on the wall empty I have one more bike to sell, but it's not a huge priority.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »
Or do I stop hoarding this stuff and only keep the one AR and 2 22s that I actually shoot and enjoy?

You just answered your own question. Why in the world would you buy, store and maintain a big gun collection when you only enjoy and shoot a few guns/rifles? Start getting rid of stuff. Get down to the 3 you mention above and see what that's like.

My guns are bikes and my litmus test is 1) do I love the bike? and 2) do I ride it? If I don't say yes to both I start the process of selling the bike in question.

I'm the same way with mountain bikes. Currently have 3 in the rotation which seems about right for me. I've had as many as 7.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 11:43:40 AM »
I'm the same way with mountain bikes. Currently have 3 in the rotation which seems about right for me. I've had as many as 7.

I have 3 as well and that seems reasonable!

1. summer FS MTB
2. winter FS MTB [back up for summer]
3. hardtail/rigid bikepacking bike for touring

wbranch

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 11:52:42 AM »
We do a lot of hiking, camping, fishing, and hunting and it is easy to go overboard on gear. I currently have 6 (or 7?) fishing rods and don't use them enough... but I am currently looking at fly fishing gear, and a ultralight spinning setup for backpacking and alpine lake fishing. Also have been looking for rifle, shotgun, and handgun to buy for hunting, but it will be something that can be used for multiple species. I do have a rifle, but I need something more versatile, and my wife will also be able to hunt with it. I will likely trade/sell and go with more of a "budget" weapon and spend more on the optics. Generally, I keep lists of all of these different things and monitor several places for deals.

So yes, stop hoarding/buying more of the stuff if you aren't using it. Collecting doesn't appeal to me very much, I only want stuff that I actually use.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »

I have 3 as well and that seems reasonable!

1. summer FS MTB
2. winter FS MTB [back up for summer]
3. hardtail/rigid bikepacking bike for touring

Reasonable is the key word. I realized 7 was the opposite of reasonable. Also, the garage was getting way too crowded and the DW thought I was nuts.

red_pill

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 08:13:04 PM »

Is it possible? I've read a bit and watched a few documentaries on becoming a minimalist or at least following some of the ideas of it. And then I remember that I like to shoot stuff and compete in shooting matches.

So are you well on the minimalist path and the other aspects of your home are already purged and this is the last stumbling block, or are you using this as a reason not to start at all on the minimalist path to start with? From the sounds of your opening sentences, that’s how it reads.  Some people might say the same about books, or their kids’ old schoolwork, or whatever.  They can’t see themselves ever winning the battle so they don’t even start. But I would say you shouldn’t let that stop you from other decluttering efforts.  You don’t have to solve all your clutter problems at once, and you don’t have to start with the hard stuff (actually, you shouldn’t start with the hard stuff).

I’d say that if minimalism is of interest to you, start building your decluttering muscles in areas that you don’t have attachment to.  Linen closets are the easiest in my books.

Once you have gone through the process of eliminating the unnecessary in all the other areas of the house, then maybe revisit this area and I get the question is easier to answer.

But yes, ditch what you don’t use. Be ruthless about it.  You will be glad you did.  But I don’t expect you’d be able to do that at this point with your hobby items.  Start easier.

I used to more, but I still enjoy reading about it, going to the range, gunsmithing, etc. And as a junkie of this and similar hobby for the last decade or so, I have accumulated piles of gun stuff and an eclectic collection. I stockpile ammo when it's on sale, have all the gear to load my own, have mags for guns I don't own, have probably 2 rifles worth of random spare parts and half done projects I will most likely never get to.

Is there a way to consolidate life and focus on being a minimalist while still maintaining a good gun collection? Or do I stop hoarding this stuff and only keep the one AR and 2 22s that I actually shoot and enjoy?

I have I think 6 shotguns and I haven't fired a shotgun round since we found out my wife was pregnant.... 3 years ago.

This isn't meant to be a pro/anti gun discussion, and I'm in Texas, so everything I have is legal. Also the only times my guns have ever hurt anybody is when the got hot and I touched them or that one time I pinched my finger pretty good.
[/quote]

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 02:20:53 AM »
Every hobby goes through a stadium where you start with beginner gear, and gradually build up to good quality gear. Hopefully the good quality gear should give you the best experience when performing in the hobby. Then your beginner gear is ready to be sold.

But you should also consider that enough is enough. I think it could be a good idea to look at what are your favorite pieces of equipment. Get a good place for them. And look at what you haven't used for the last 3 years, they can be sold. Next time you want to buy a new piece, you can probably sell some of the other equipment and buy the new piece second hand. It is totally understandable that your favorite gear would vary through the years. Why not be more active in selling and buying other stuff second hand?

Maybe you should have 1 tidy room in your house where your gear can be stalled. When it doesn't fit anymore, some needs to go.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 04:34:30 AM »

Is it possible? I've read a bit and watched a few documentaries on becoming a minimalist or at least following some of the ideas of it. And then I remember that I like to shoot stuff and compete in shooting matches.

So are you well on the minimalist path and the other aspects of your home are already purged and this is the last stumbling block, or are you using this as a reason not to start at all on the minimalist path to start with?
[/quote]

my wife and I are on our way and have started this process with other aspects. I'm not interested in a full on, get rid of everything, live in a box situation. Plus I have a 2.5 year old and I'm not throwing out any of his toys, despite the fact that 90% of my floor is covered in them.

But I've done the pairing down of clothing and keeping only what I like/need. have done the same with old paperwork, that box of computer cables everyone keeps, our medicine drawers, my sink/travel stuff, etc. So we have made good headway.

one of the reasons I'm thinking about the gun stuff is I have so damn much of it. By weight I have way more in that department than probably anything else, except maybe a car.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 06:12:31 AM »
I would approach this more from capital tied up and not minimalism.   No, you don't need 6 shotguns.  Maybe at best you need 2, a 20 guage for sporting clay and a 12 for hunting.  Sell the other four.  I'm not sure where you're at with rifles/pistols.

I've got a nice size collection, almost all through inheritance.  As for hobby shooting, I find my 10/22 provides as much fun without the cost of others.  Lower cost ammunition, less risk of hearing damage.  I see no reason to own an A/R 15 or larger semi-auto rifle, I figure a good handgun and a 10/22 will serve me well in a zombie apocalypse and until there are much cheaper to shoot.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 07:31:26 AM »
yeah similar boat with cars and bikes. At one time I had more bikes than pairs of underwear.
Trim the herd to the 1 or 2 you actually use & enjoy the most, and get rid of the rest. Turn them into dead presidents ;) Hobby optimization!!

red_pill

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 07:47:47 AM »

So are you well on the minimalist path and the other aspects of your home are already purged and this is the last stumbling block, or are you using this as a reason not to start at all on the minimalist path to start with?

my wife and I are on our way and have started this process with other aspects. I'm not interested in a full on, get rid of everything, live in a box situation. Plus I have a 2.5 year old and I'm not throwing out any of his toys, despite the fact that 90% of my floor is covered in them.

But I've done the pairing down of clothing and keeping only what I like/need. have done the same with old paperwork, that box of computer cables everyone keeps, our medicine drawers, my sink/travel stuff, etc. So we have made good headway.

one of the reasons I'm thinking about the gun stuff is I have so damn much of it. By weight I have way more in that department than probably anything else, except maybe a car.
[/quote]

Ah, I get what you’re saying.  I like it - paring down possessions has been one of the best things I’ve ever done.

Rather than include *all* the gun stuff, why not just first consider the stuff you absolutely don’t use.  The orphan mags. The unfinished projects. You already said that you don’t use it,  so the interesting question is why is it so hard to part with? Your hobby is shooting, not keeping mags to guns you don’t even own. And it seems that by you posting this question there is some level of desire to pare it down.  So why are you keeping it?  Or maybe it hasn’t really been a conscious decision, it just sort of piled up.  But figuring that out could be an important step.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 11:00:52 AM »
Thanks for this thread.  We live on 17 acres.  We have two tractors, a side-by-side, two houses and an apartment on the property with three other houses besides and, of course, lots of tools to maintain it all.  In addition, we have a large garden, cut our own firewood, have chickens and a dog.  On top of that, my wife loves to cook and collects cookbooks and I have several guns and lots of camera gear.

Having said all of that, we have done a lot over the past few years getting rid of excess baggage but there’s still a lot, lot, lot of stuff to get rid of.

One of my biggest problems is the simple mechanics of getting rid of something, especially if it’s large or expensive or not in perfect condition.  I am busy with work and doing projects (did I mention we have 17 acres and several houses) and I just don’t have time to deal with the stuff.  We don’t buy much anymore (thank God) but the stuff is still there, mocking me silently.

Anyway, I’m not looking for a solution anymore.  We have sold off most of our cars and I make an effort each day to have a little less than yesterday.  I know that FI is here and RE is close behind and then there’ll be more time to pare down and clean out.  Thanks for listening to my expository!  Be well, Mustachians!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 11:18:13 AM »
One of my biggest problems is the simple mechanics of getting rid of something, especially if it’s large or expensive or not in perfect condition.  I am busy with work and doing projects (did I mention we have 17 acres and several houses) and I just don’t have time to deal with the stuff.  We don’t buy much anymore (thank God) but the stuff is still there, mocking me silently.

I feel your pain. I had the same issue. I just started doing one high value item at a time and worked my way through my list. At some point if you are busy it becomes better to give away or throw out an item that's not worth the effort to sell. It's sad, but if it sits in your place for 20 more years and then gets throw away it's just better if you get rid of it now and enjoy the lack of clutter.

Once you get in the habit of selling stuff it becomes easier to do the next item and the next so half the battle is getting started.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 01:50:52 PM »
Gear heavy?

I just 'upgraded' to 11 gears on my MTB so I can relate!  Not used to all these gears yet, but I think I like them...

I only have the one MTB though.

I do have two other bikes so I guess they count.  I ride them semi-regularly though.  I'm not big on keeping gear around if i don't use it.  Spare parts are another story...but don't cost me much beyond clutter.

I read something somewhere like....   Store the crap you don't use on Craigslist.  You can buy it back for the same price in the future if you change your mind...

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 04:00:56 PM »
Pardon the minor celebration:  I just sold our bike trailer on Craigslist.  We had it for three years and only used it once. 

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 04:27:38 PM »
We do a lot of hiking, camping, fishing, and hunting and it is easy to go overboard on gear. I currently have 6 (or 7?) fishing rods and don't use them enough... but I am currently looking at fly fishing gear, and a ultralight spinning setup for backpacking and alpine lake fishing. Also have been looking for rifle, shotgun, and handgun to buy for hunting, but it will be something that can be used for multiple species. I do have a rifle, but I need something more versatile, and my wife will also be able to hunt with it. I will likely trade/sell and go with more of a "budget" weapon and spend more on the optics. Generally, I keep lists of all of these different things and monitor several places for deals.

So yes, stop hoarding/buying more of the stuff if you aren't using it. Collecting doesn't appeal to me very much, I only want stuff that I actually use.

Into fishing as well... it's definitely a dangerous hobby. I probably have close to 20 rods/reels ranging from heavier gear (including for trolling and deep sea) to light/ultralight and fly fishing. It's pretty ridiculous but I just listed a bunch of it on CL and the classifieds of another popular fishing forum as well as a FB local fishing buy/sell group. Lately, I've been into fishing the Southern California surf - all you really 'need' for that is maybe 2 spinning setups, a casting setup, and one or two fly rods to rotate between. Of course, for the occasional times I go out on a boat, I have my heavy/deep-sea gear but it's rare that I go on those open party boats these days (especially with kids now), and they're so freakin expensive too. Anyway, most of the gear I've listed is the heavier boat gear that I barely even use when I do go on those trips. It's just a waste of space

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 09:42:16 PM »
This is a tough thread for me.  I've got too much stuff sports related.  I love it all however and it's mostly good stuff.   What I lack is time and friends to make use of it.  Hope to remedy that in FIRE.

drachma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 03:44:11 PM »
two paths to go down here;

(1) you can still espouse minimalism in every other aspect of your life and still have your ONE THING that you really like. you will still experience the benefits of minimalism on other parts of your lifestyle.

but really,
(2) once you understand and internalize some of the concepts of minimalism I think this problem will solve itself. the ideas behind every item having multiple uses, really enjoying the few objects you do have, and once you realize the compounding effects of owning more items I think you will naturally WANT to streamline your collection. For example, many guns means needing a bigger gun safe, more cases and locks, a bigger stockpile of different kinds of ammo, all of which requires a bigger closet or hobby room in your house, which necessitates a larger house and thus larger energy bills, and so on and so forth. As you minimize other aspects of your life you may find that it is your gun collection that is the last thing holding you back from making large efficiency gains in one area or another, and your priorities may shift to reflect that. Or not! It's up to you.

My brother is into guns, he only keeps a few around but still gets to shoot novel ones and try out different stuff by using his friends and sharing while at the range, and also habitually buying/selling guns. He will buy one, use it for a while, then sell it in order to try a new one. This way he only has 2 or 3 at a time, say 1-2 mainstays and 1 on rotation. The buying/selling aspect of it I believe is its own brand of fun for him.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 03:57:27 PM »
Guns I feel like are a bit more of a “buy once, cry once” item. I’d rather have a top of the line full size 9mm for $1200, than like 3 different full size 9 mm’s that are $600 each. I don’t understand the need for tons of similar, same level guns. I understand different types and calibers, but some people have like 4 AR 15’s with the same length barrel lol. I’d rather just have one much nicer one (I love my Daniel Defense V11 Pro)

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 05:28:26 PM »
Guns I feel like are a bit more of a “buy once, cry once” item. I’d rather have a top of the line full size 9mm for $1200, than like 3 different full size 9 mm’s that are $600 each. I don’t understand the need for tons of similar, same level guns. I understand different types and calibers, but some people have like 4 AR 15’s with the same length barrel lol. I’d rather just have one much nicer one (I love my Daniel Defense V11 Pro)

I hear that. My 4 ARs go from 8" 300BO to almost 20" JP barrel in 556. I also already follow you on the nicer version Idea. I took a coworker to the range, and he pulled out a backpack full of Glocks. all 9mm, 4the single stack (42 or 43, I forget), 26, 2 19s, and a 17. And he wondered how it was I could afford to shoot and enjoy a Les Baer. I may have suggested that it was because I didn't have a backpack full of garbage ;)

dollarchaser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 11:35:33 AM »
Hobbies are a weak point in my life. Maybe because I can justify an expense with myself very well. But also like mentioned getting past the beginner stage of gear has already happened.

With finding MMM I realized 4 motorcycles was too many.  My wife and I both had 2. At the moment we have 3 going down to 2.

The gun issue I have been trying sort through has not been mentioned but can apply to lots of items. Heirloom or family items that you are expected to hold onto. I will end up with my father's guns and am trying to not end up with multiple of same items. Borrowing his 22 is acceptable instead of both of us owning one.