Author Topic: Beauty school haircuts - are they decent (your experiences)?  (Read 1376 times)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
Beauty school haircuts - are they decent (your experiences)?
« on: October 29, 2017, 06:24:25 AM »
I'm thinking about getting my haircuts at the local beauty school when I FIRE?  I'm curious if others have experience with them and if those experiences have been good/worthwhile?

rockeTree

• Bristles
Re: Beauty school haircuts - are they decent (your experiences)?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 07:22:34 AM »
Mine have been solid at the Aveda training center near me. There are two other places nearby whose names I can’t recall and reviews I have heard of them have been very mixed. Hop on yelp, take your chances if it looks ok, ask the supervisor if it seems messed up, and remember it’s just hair. Unless they burn your scalp badly it’ll grow back :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mommyof4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 08:16:43 AM »
I have had great luck at our local beauty school!  The only downside is that since they are still learning, it takes them longer to cut, color, style, etc.  Also, on the rare occasion that I get a mani or a pedi, the costs are at least half of what you would pay in a regular salon.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 09:36:52 AM »
I've never come away from the beauty school with a bad haircut, and the price is certainly right. If the student is very new or doesn't seem confident, I've found that the instructor is always right there--and in some cases, most of my haircut was done by the instructor, not the student. What I don't like is that it takes forever--the students are so slow. I use my Wahl clipper and my own haircutting scissors now, and do a credible short bob on myself that I like better than most of the cuts I've gotten by salons or the beauty school.

I did get a massage once at the beauty school that was just terrible--pleasant student but ice cold room, the wrong kind of music  (think it was just her personal slow music that she liked--not the usual relaxing New Age music), and no instructor at all.

What seems to be the most popular service is the pedicures--people seem to line up for those. But I do my own, so can't comment.