Author Topic: Beautiful FI Spreadsheets?  (Read 6227 times)

Genevieve

• Bristles
Beautiful FI Spreadsheets?
« on: March 25, 2015, 08:38:30 PM »
I've decided it's time to make a nice and pretty FI spreadsheet with graphs to mark my progress to FI.

Does anyone have an Excel or Google doc template they love? Maybe make a screenshot to show us if making a template isn't easy.

What numbers do you like to use to mark your progress?

I looked up spreadsheet on the forums, but considering the number of nerds here, it brought up a ridiculous number of posts. Besides, this will be a nice chance to oogle over pretty spreadsheets.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Beautiful FI Spreadsheets?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
If you find one in http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/spreadsheet-collection/, great!

Or, if you find a good one somewhere else, have it added to the above thread - the more the merrier (up to a point...). :)

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 05:35:36 AM »
Find C40 in the journal section, he has some great stuff and has been willing to share everytime I ask.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 07:51:27 AM »
Mine aren't pretty at all.  They're dirty hack jobs. Gritty as *.  But they get the job done.  ;)

I've learned way more making my own and improving them over time than I would have plugging my numbers into someone's pretty spreadsheet.

(Plus my situation is quite different than most.)

But some of the stuff people do looks pretty damn fantastic.  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 09:07:38 AM »
I'm in the same boat as arebelspy.  My sheets are basic without visual appeal.  However, I've written every equation, created every graph, and filled in the categories to fit my life.  However, FliXFantatier's workbook makes me want to add something "pretty" to my sheets. 

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 09:12:08 AM »
Function over form for me too, they turn ugly but I know how to use 'em.

BBub

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 09:26:44 AM »
Flix, that's a work of art.  I thought mine were pretty, but now I'm not so sure. 

I agree with others that tinkering and building your own is far more valuable than plugging numbers into an existing template.  I track all kinds of silly metrics, but the only one I really care about at this point (early accumulation phase) is Liquid Assets categorized into qualified and taxable.  When I get a little closer to FI others will become more important.  IMO, prioritizing which metrics to focus on is more important than having a mega spreadsheet.

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 09:40:10 AM »
@FliXFantatier Those are some beautiful spreadsheets.

I pulled the spreadsheets from the link that MDM provided and from C40's journal. I'm going to use those as a base to make my own spreadsheet.

Function is definitely more important, but pretty spreadsheets and graphs are fun too. It's like art, right? :P

Pretty stats ted talk:
http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_shows_the_best_stats_you_ve_ever_seen?language=en

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 03:21:07 PM »

@FliXFantatier Those are some beautiful spreadsheets.

I pulled the spreadsheets from the link that MDM provided and from C40's journal. I'm going to use those as a base to make my own spreadsheet.

Function is definitely more important, but pretty spreadsheets and graphs are fun too. It's like art, right? :P

Pretty stats ted talk:
http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_shows_the_best_stats_you_ve_ever_seen?language=en

Nice link

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 04:31:39 PM »
This (attached) is the (cleaned up, personal data changed) balance sheet that I use these days.

I have a P&L, prefer to keep things simple.

That line doesn't make any sense lol

meant to read "I don't have a P&L, because it was all too hard to capture and I prefer to keep things simple".

There is the danger laid bare of typing furiously fast and hitting post whilst running out of a train door so as not to miss my stop...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:13:36 AM by marty998 »

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 07:48:32 PM »
My spreadsheets look ugly, but they give me exactly what I want.  But basically I'm just saying that to make myself feel better...secretly I'm jealous of how beautiful these spreadsheets of yours look!!!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!