Author Topic: Battery Chargers  (Read 4643 times)

Guy Incognito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Battery Chargers
« on: January 03, 2015, 10:01:53 AM »
I'm trying to find and buy a good Battery Charger for our home, since we use a high number of AAA, AA and C batteries in our kids' toys among other uses.  However, the plethora of options (bundled with or without batteries), mAh ratings, etc on Amazon, Ebay etc. is overwhelming.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a reliable Battery Charger and rechargeable batteries, preferably ni-MH? And where best to buy these without spending too much?

Thanks!

vhalros

• Bristles
Re: Battery Chargers
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 10:09:12 AM »
I use this one panasonic one, and the associated eneloop NiMH batteires: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JHKSL1O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had it about six months now, and so far as good. It charges both AA and AAA batteries; I don't know what the solution for C batteries is.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 10:33:59 AM »
Following!

Guy Incognito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 10:42:31 AM »
Thanks vhalros.  A standard AA/AAA charger like the one your posted might best suit my needs.  Also, I learned in doing some searches today there's such a thing as C-Battery adapters....essentially cases that go around a normal AA battery so that it can be used in devices that ordinarily only take C's.  Brilliant.

Also, I've heard good things about Eneloop batteries.  But it looks like the one you linked only charged AAs, not AAAs?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 10:43:54 AM »
We also use the Eneloop batteries.  We bought this pack from Amazon, which includes sleeves allowing you to use the AA batteries in C and D locations.  The AAs don't have the capacity of C or D batteries, but the sleeves will work in a pinch, or you can just recharge more often, I guess. 

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 10:48:48 AM »
Our kids loose or throw away the rechargebles.  Gave up,  but might try again.  Probably spend 50 per year.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 10:52:08 AM »
But it looks like the one you linked only charged AAs, not AAAs?

I have that exact model, and it charges both AA and AAA batteries. I've used it for both, so I know it actually works. There is a little indentation behind where the batteries are in the photo that allows AAA batteries to fit in there at a slight diagonal, thus allowing it to accommodate both AA and AAA.

LadyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »
I picked up a pack at Sam's Club that included AA and AAA batteries along with a charger that can be used on both sizes. I think they are Duracell. Just be aware that sometimes for electronics with small battery compartments, the rechargeable batteries may be too thick. The only instance I can currently think of is our battery operated toothbrushes. They work really well in basically everything else I tried to use them with.

danw17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »
AmazonBasics Ni-MH batteries are reported to be rebranded Eneloops, same reports are made regarding the Duracell rechargeable, and most other Ni-MH batteries made in Japan. You can get AA to D battery converters that takes 2-AA in parallel, increasing the capacity (2x2500 mAH = 5000 mAH).

Even though the 2500 mAH batteries "only" have 500 charge cycles, they're probably better in most situations (and 500 charge cycles is still 9 years  if charging once a week), and due to the added capacity, you will charge them less often.

Good chargers are MaHa and Lacrosse. You want to have a charger that charges batteries individually rather than in pairs, and that stops charging when it detects the battery is full, rather than a timer.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »
Good chargers are MaHa and Lacrosse. You want to have a charger that charges batteries individually rather than in pairs, and that stops charging when it detects the battery is full, rather than a timer.

Yes, these brands are very useful. You can renew batteries and charge at different rates.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 02:33:18 PM »
I've been using the Eneloop one's for years. If you have Costco, they carry the pack at a really good price and put it on sale fairly often.

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 03:24:12 PM »
Also have Eneloops from Costco, we use them in things that tend to cycle batteries quickly like kids toys, video game controllers, etc.  Things like remote controls, we just use the normal batteries because they easily last years, as I do not want to tie up an expensive rechargeable in a low cycle item.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!