Author Topic: Bank recommendations?  (Read 6220 times)

nanu

• Bristles
Bank recommendations?
« on: February 17, 2015, 11:08:08 AM »
Hi,

Bank of America has failed me one time too many and I'm considering closing the account and opening one at a different bank (though, can I keep the BoA credit card if I close my checking account?)

Anyway, I currently live in Boston but will be moving to NYC in a few months (or maybe to NJ while working in NYC).
Currently I use my BoA 1-2-3 rewards card for everything, but I have a Citi 2% cash back card on route in the mail that I plan on starting to use.
So, any recommendations for a bank that isn't as annoying?
If you need any more information, let me know.

Thanks! :)

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Bank recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 11:37:51 AM »
I like Capital One for checking:  0.75% interest.  I have my savings account with UFB direct:  1.25% interest.

Janie

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 11:53:18 AM »
Capital One 360

RexualChocolate

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 12:06:49 PM »
Just curious since I use BAC as well- How have they failed you?

I've had 3 fraud incidents over 6 years which I guess could be considered failures in and of themselves, but all were resolved instantly and with minimal input from myself. Zero cost to use anything they have.

Similar positive experiences with Wells and JPM here.

thingamabobs

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 12:13:04 PM »
Hi,

Bank of America has failed me one time too many and I'm considering closing the account and opening one at a different bank (though, can I keep the BoA credit card if I close my checking account?)

Anyway, I currently live in Boston but will be moving to NYC in a few months (or maybe to NJ while working in NYC).
Currently I use my BoA 1-2-3 rewards card for everything, but I have a Citi 2% cash back card on route in the mail that I plan on starting to use.
So, any recommendations for a bank that isn't as annoying?
If you need any more information, let me know.

Thanks! :)

Don't see why you can't keep the CC if you close the checking account. I started out with BOA, but didn't like what they required for what they called free checking so I closed up the checking and savings accounts but kept the CC since it is one of my oldest accounts.

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 12:24:09 PM »
Just curious since I use BAC as well- How have they failed you?
I've been having some issues with them providing really shitty service/help with things, and I'm kinda sick of it. And while at it, I wouldn't mind finding a bank with a higher savings interest.

Don't see why you can't keep the CC if you close the checking account. I started out with BOA, but didn't like what they required for what they called free checking so I closed up the checking and savings accounts but kept the CC since it is one of my oldest accounts.
I was asking because I just don't know - I never closed an account and kept the credit card associated with it

joat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 12:38:35 PM »
You should be able to keep the credit card - I have a Chase Amazon Visa and closed my Chase checking account without any trouble.

Depending on your needs, I'd recommend Capital One 360 or Fidelity Cash Management. Last time I checked, Capital One 360 did not allow you to deposit a check over $5,000 with their mobile app while the limit for Fidelity's Cash Management account is $250,000. It's probably not an issue for most people, but I ran into that while freelancing and had to mail the check to Capital One. If you like to travel and/or you use ATMs at all, the Fidelity Cash Management account reimburses all ATM fees worldwide; you'll want to stick to the Allpoint network with Capital One 360. The thing I liked about Capital One 360 was that it has the best online person-to-person payment system I have used.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 01:12:56 PM »
If you want service at a local branch, I would look into local Credit Unions that you can join.  I belong to one in Michigan that I qualified for years ago, but I currently live in California.  It is very easy to work with them since their membership is limited.  The fees and minimums are far lower than any bank (mine has free checking and savings with a minimum $5 balance).  There are a few ATM networks that are free for my CU, and most are part of at least one.  This means that I can also do deposits at the machines that will take them, however my CU app just added mobile deposits. 

The savings rate is pretty horrible (0.21%), however it is easy to link a non-brick and mortar bank to your CU, if you wanted your savings to be a little less accessible.  I only keep a couple thousand in this account for monthly expenses, and everything else is drawn from it to higher rate savings and my Vanguard account automatically.

Tapp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 03:16:50 PM »
I really love USAA. If you can qualify for it, you should check it out. The top notch service they have in auto insurance transfers over to their other products equally. As for saving accounts, .5% really doesn't matter to me. Just put it into a conservative investment with high liquidity.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!