Author Topic: Baking Soda Toothpaste?  (Read 4719 times)

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
Baking Soda Toothpaste?
« on: January 30, 2015, 11:59:36 AM »
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a baking soda toothpaste with fluoride that is inexpensive and free of nasty ingredients. I can't find anything cheaper than Country Gent brand which is $10 plus shipping for just a few ounces. Also would my teeth be ok using just plain baking soda (i.e. no added fluoride beyond what is in the local water supply). Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:02:36 PM by BrooklineBiker »

Jomar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Baking Soda Toothpaste?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 01:18:13 PM »
Just FYI, though I am not a dentist, I specifically asked my father-in-law (who is an oral pathologist/dentistry prof)  about baking soda toothpaste one time a few years ago and he said it is not a good idea to use it frequently as it will cause damage to the enamel of your teeth. It is good to use occasionally to remove stains though, so more of a replacement for whitening junk that you might use on a weekly basis. I would imagine that using baking soda straight up would be worse for your enamel than using baking soda-based toothpaste, but again, I'm not a dentist. You might want to do a little more research on this.

rmendpara

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 01:21:05 PM »
I'll just add that I've gotten very used to Trader Joes toothpaste with baking soda and fluoride.

$2.xx per tube (probably varies by area), and a very mild baking soda/minty flavor. I hated the flavor explosion when I had to get a tube of regular colgate stuff.

I'm no dentist, but I'm fairly certain fluoride is a good thing and baking soda is somewhat non-abrasive when diluted properly in the formula.

Will be sad when it runs out since I don't go food shopping there often. :( Maybe I'll stock up on like 5 tubes one day..
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:23:46 PM by rmendpara »

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 01:26:34 PM »
I am curious if anyone knows if its safe for veneers?

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 02:06:13 PM »
I use straight baking soda and stopped getting cavities completely. I only find it irritating if I scrub too hard or long. You don't have to scrub as long as with toothpaste. My dentist said this was no problem and did not mention it wearing away enamel.

I read somewhere that the glycerin in toothpaste can prevent your teeth from remineralizing and for some people this can cause cavities - I'm one of those people. Been getting regular cavities my whole life even when I never eat sugar until I stopped using regular toothpaste.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 06:46:41 AM »
Just FYI, though I am not a dentist, I specifically asked my father-in-law (who is an oral pathologist/dentistry prof)  about baking soda toothpaste one time a few years ago and he said it is not a good idea to use it frequently as it will cause damage to the enamel of your teeth. It is good to use occasionally to remove stains though, so more of a replacement for whitening junk that you might use on a weekly basis. I would imagine that using baking soda straight up would be worse for your enamel than using baking soda-based toothpaste, but again, I'm not a dentist. You might want to do a little more research on this.
Thanks Jomar for sharing your father in law's recommendation. That is helpful.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 06:48:20 AM »
I'll just add that I've gotten very used to Trader Joes toothpaste with baking soda and fluoride.

$2.xx per tube (probably varies by area), and a very mild baking soda/minty flavor. I hated the flavor explosion when I had to get a tube of regular colgate stuff.

I'm no dentist, but I'm fairly certain fluoride is a good thing and baking soda is somewhat non-abrasive when diluted properly in the formula.

Will be sad when it runs out since I don't go food shopping there often. :( Maybe I'll stock up on like 5 tubes one day..
Hi Rmendpara,
Wow. I did not even know Trader Joe made toothpaste. I will check this out.

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 06:51:15 AM »
I use straight baking soda and stopped getting cavities completely. I only find it irritating if I scrub too hard or long. You don't have to scrub as long as with toothpaste. My dentist said this was no problem and did not mention it wearing away enamel.

I read somewhere that the glycerin in toothpaste can prevent your teeth from remineralizing and for some people this can cause cavities - I'm one of those people. Been getting regular cavities my whole life even when I never eat sugar until I stopped using regular toothpaste.
Hi Quark,
I am glad to hear you are doing well with straight baking soda. Glycerin and soy derived ingredients really inflame my mouth. Since I switched to baking soda from major manufacturer regular toothpaste, my periodontal disease has gotten much better. My dentist has never said baking soda is a problem for teeth.