Author Topic: Baddest Ass Tableware?  (Read 15356 times)

onemorebike

• Bristles
Baddest Ass Tableware?
« on: September 19, 2014, 08:47:43 PM »
We've been rockin' the same tableware since we were married 8 (ish) years ago and the cheap, BBAB stuff is falling apart in our hands. I'm hoping to buy it for life on the next set of plates/bowls/cups that we buy. Anyone have a recommendation for an affordable, durable and awesome set of tableware?

-onemorebike

plank

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Baddest Ass Tableware?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 08:54:47 PM »
Yard sale.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 09:16:34 PM »
Nothing is going to last your lifetime in daily use with a dishwasher. Fiesta ware is timeless and comes in many fun colors. It is not inexpensive. You can buy replacement pieces although 50 years form now that particular color may be expensive. You could get a classic color such as red, and then add in coordinating colors in subsequent years as things break.

I could write a lot about dishes because I'm a chinaware freak, but my goal has never been yours, to buy one set to last forever, so I cannot really help you in that.
But having the chinaware obsession has caused me to spend much time in thrift stores looking at them and buying a few for flower shows. You are not going to find much that is interesting.

I suppose that if you don't mind random plates that do not match or coordinate  then  thrift stores are the place to go.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:35:17 PM by iris lily »

SU

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:27:12 PM »
I prefer white bone china from a major brand: replacement pieces are always available and it's never out of fashion. IKEA is good; also, do replace things as they get broken as sometimes even the major brands fold (Wedgewood anyone?).

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 09:56:48 PM »
We've had our Corelle since shortly after we were married 30 years ago.  My mom's still using hers from before that.

Corelle's lightweight and thin (takes up less cabinet space) but I don't know that we've had a piece break yet.  Patterns will fade, but they have plain white if that's a concern.

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 12:45:57 AM »
Our everyday tableware seems to have changed due to scratches, breakage, taste changing, etc. about every 10 years.  Since 1988 we've had fiesta ware (current, love it), mikasa stoneware, and something else I don't remember.  We have recycled the old sets through the workplace (which we own) so there's always stuff we like at work or home.  Buy the best quality you can get from a thrift store... You are going to want something different in a few years anyway.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 01:49:26 AM »
I use hand me down stoneware, never had a problem with it.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 05:56:39 AM »
We've had our Corelle since shortly after we were married 30 years ago.  My mom's still using hers from before that.

Corelle's lightweight and thin (takes up less cabinet space) but I don't know that we've had a piece break yet.  Patterns will fade, but they have plain white if that's a concern.
Corelle for the win. We have plain white plates and bowls and they are indestructible. The stuff is seriously amazing. Plus, it's quite inexpensive. We did have to buy it new because I never see it at garage sales, on Craigslist, or by the side of the road (people don't get rid of it because of its unparalleled awesomeness).

In addition to being unbreakable, it's stain-resistant and nothing sticks to it.

Murr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 06:43:10 AM »
We bought ours at ikea 13 years ago and it's still going strong, cheap to buy as well

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 07:58:55 AM »
I bought the Costco tableware 5 years ago.  Each box was 4 place settings and I think $40.  They had two different colors so I got a box of each in an effort to plan for breaking them.  They've lasted pretty well and look good. 
Problem is that it's not replaceable--I haven't been able to find anything that matches it since my local Costco sold out of it. 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 09:09:10 AM »
I wouldn't go crazy trying to BIFL your tableware. Your tastes will change over the years, and so will your house decor, even if you stay in the same home. You may paint your walls or something…to where you'll want different dishes. Moving to a different house or apt. may really give you a yen for different dishes. I've gone with plain white, with blue-and-white for many years, and now, believe it or not, am in a house where the greens and reds of Johnson Brothers "Friendly Village" looks perfect. (It's now made in China…grrrrr. I bought two cheap sets of Chinese " Friendly Village" on Amazon--got a great deal--much cheaper than dept. store sale prices. Then ordered some of the completer pieces, serving bowls and platters, etc. in the older Made in England stuff from Replacements…also picked up some of the originals from kitchen of deceased family member.) I am fairly minimalist in the kitchen, and like all my china, glassware, and stainless to match. It gives a neater, calmer, more "Zen" feel. You just have to purge the odds and ends of glasses and dishes that we all tend to accumulate over time. I donate the "clutter" tableware to the Goodwill. (Advertising mugs and all that.)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 09:17:02 AM »
Corelle.

So, we have three sets of Corelle.
1.  The blue stripe that my husband got when he graduated from college in 1990.
2.  The red stripe that my sister got for her wedding, but didn't match her decor so she gave it to me (from 1990, but I started using it in 1992).
3.  The yellow floral that had been my step-father's mom's Corelle, that she used and then put in the attic.  This is older than 1990.

We've lost maybe 5 pieces to breakage.  The older stuff, if you drop it accidentally, may break.

They stack REALLY well in the cupboard too - very efficient.  I like that.

We don't have cups though, just plates and bowls.  We just use whatever free coffee cups we get at work, events, or from shutterfly.

midwifemustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 10:05:28 AM »
+ 1 for corelle. I just researched plates that wouldn't break and that's what I concluded. They are made from glass too if that's a concern. I got plain white so there wasn't a design to fade.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 10:09:41 AM »
If you're cool with the mismatched look, then that's the way to go (Etsy sometimes has some excellent deals). If you need matching then it sounds like Corelle is good. Another approach is to support a local potter and ask him/her to make you something that could be matched against something else if replacements were needed (and said potter wasn't available). I use Spanish tableware (rich red brown in color, replacements easy to find).

One last idea: ask for a set of whatever it is that you decide you want as a gift.

Good luck!

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 10:11:16 AM »
I have ivory Corelle and love it.  I also have some simple Oneida flatware from Walmart and love that too.  It's all inexpensive and has been wonderful and durable for more than 8 years. 

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 10:14:21 AM »
I have ivory Corelle and love it.  It is lead-free and does not chip.  It can take a lot of use and abuse.  I also have some simple Oneida flatware from Walmart and love that too.  It's all inexpensive and has been wonderful and durable for more than 8 years.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 10:21:55 AM »
It depends on your taste and what is important to you.

Correle says it won't break and it is pretty hard to do it, but when it does break, it will break into a million  tiny pieces that you will pick up forever, thats the truth :)

I really wanted a lead free set, so I went with Fiestaware, I bought it on sale and getting a store card to get the extra 30% or whatever they were offering, I love it, I chose a rainbow of colors, but obviously you could get all one color, like white or whatever goes with your style.

I had my moms old set of Pfascraft I am sure I butchered that word, but they are nice stoneware that were also harder to break.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 10:40:37 AM »
Thrift stores or estate sales can also be great places to find affordable tableware sets.  Or, does anyone in your family have a spare set stored somewhere?

I have blue & white Currier and Ives dishes from my great-grandmother from the 1950's.  My brother has red & white Willow Ware dishes from my grandparents from the 1960's.  My parents have the same Lenox dishes from when they got married 40 years ago.  All sets are used daily and go in the dishwasher with no fuss. 

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 02:22:02 PM »
Tell people you are looking for a dinner set - especially your older relatives. You'll be surprised at how many unused dinner sets there are around!

Bikesy

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 04:02:02 PM »
I refuse to be defined by dinnerware....We have ikea!

HattyT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 04:19:03 PM »
Thrift stores has been my tactic.  Either get a set you are in love with and/or solid colors.  You want something you will be able to add to later when life happens.  I have solid color blue dishware and solid color white ones.  Recently, I found we were low on the small plates. It was easy to get replacements that matched.  If you look closely, you can see slight differences (on the underside, the thickness).  I don't expect a guest would notice.  I like a blue and white table.  I think it allows for complementary pieces.  The set doesn’t need to look as un-matching as it is.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 04:22:54 PM »

Not to be snarky, but it seems to me that Ikea pretty much defines trendiness in dinnerware and you, by virture of owning it, but maybe I don't understand what you mean here.

It's the old stuff that is less predictable, I think.Hipster George Jetson sets like this are cool! Maybe someone's grandma has this set in her attic and she'll share it.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5348446/il_570xN.298260269.jpg
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:14:55 PM by iris lily »

georgialiving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »
I got a bunch of plates from the dollar tree to serve our wedding desserts on, and kept them.  They are dishwasher/microwave safe, bright cheery colors, and are very sturdy. 

A friends mom got hers from dollar tree years and years and years ago.  Still has the same set.

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 05:54:46 PM »
We love our fiesta ware!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 07:12:37 PM »
+ 1 for Correlle!  I have the plain white kind, same as what I grew up with.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 08:52:42 PM »
I love my Fiestaware too!  All the different colors make me so happy.  And it is durable too!  I was putting dishes away and had a plate slip out of my hand.  I immediately started to curse in my mind as I imagined it shattering.  It bounced off of the countertop and fell to the floor.  But lo and behold, not even a chip.  Granted, I might've gotten lucky in that case, but since then there have been the accidental bangs and so on and every piece is still good as new.  I cobbled together a good collection by carefully watching for sales, picked some up on clearance from Costco, found some pieces at Goodwill, and even some off of Craigslist.  Unlike the cheap stuff, you can put your Fiesta in the microwave and not have the tableware be super hot.  You can even put it in the oven. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 10:02:14 PM »
Tell people you are looking for a dinner set - especially your older relatives. You'll be surprised at how many unused dinner sets there are around!

So true. We've got one set in the attic and I'm sure couldn't get $5 for it.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 10:17:11 PM »
... Unlike the cheap stuff, you can put your Fiesta in the microwave and not have the tableware be super hot.... 

that is good to know. I think I will get Fiestaware next time around. I hate the hot dishes thing.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 12:48:53 AM »
I have a cupboard full of unmatched dishes from thrift stores and other cheap or free sources. I went and looked at the Fiesta website and swooned. Sure would be nice to have all those pretty dishes, but alas, I don't want to outlay more than about a quarter for a dinner plate so I doubt I will be adorning my table with something that lovely any time soon <sigh>.

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 02:22:13 AM »
+1 to Corelle. It's not indestructible, but after going through cheap dining sets (including ones from Ikea), it's certainly durable. I also have the white set.

Having seen the colours that Fiestaware comes in, though, I might buy one set just to spice things up!

Frugalperson

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 02:27:16 AM »
Do you get Denby tableware where you live? I don't know if it is just sold in the UK or not. It is the most durable tableware I have ever owned and we add pieces when it's on sale. It's not super cheap or delicate but if you are buying for life, it is worth it. I think it would survive an nuclear explosion.

Bikesy

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2014, 04:09:30 PM »

Not to be snarky, but it seems to me that Ikea pretty much defines trendiness in dinnerware and you, by virture of owning it, but maybe I don't understand what you mean here.

It's the old stuff that is less predictable, I think.Hipster George Jetson sets like this are cool! Maybe someone's grandma has this set in her attic and she'll share it.

LOL I was just being stupid.  Where else on the internet can you read a thread called Baddest Ass Tableware!!

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5348446/il_570xN.298260269.jpg

lexie2000

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
We are on our second set of stoneware in our 35 yr. marriage.  We received the first set as wedding gifts and over the years breakage led us to buy the second set.  The second set is Mikasa stoneware bought 9 years ago at a fraction of the regular cost because the pattern was being discontinued and clearanced at a nearby outlet store.  I bought enough pieces so that I don't have to run the dishwasher but once every couple of weeks and don't have to be concerned if a few pieces are broken along the way.  This will be my last set of dishes.

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 08:00:13 AM »
Baddest Ass Tableware?

I think you mean Worst Ass Tableware.  :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »
Baddest Ass Tableware?

Pretty sure that's bad-assedest tableware (and don't forget the hyphen for the compound adjective).
;-)

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 10:42:01 AM »
Thrift stores, for the win.  I currently like white with a blue stripe.  I bought a set of Food Network brand dinner and salad plates (8 each) and add a couple similar looking Dansk plates whenever I see them.  Had to get Corelle bowls retail, also in white with blue, because I didn't like the shape of the ones that went with my set.
  Thrift stores often have large sets because a lot of people change them for aesthetics, not function.  You just have to look frequently.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »
Baddest Ass Tableware?

That's a contest I definitely don't want to win. :)

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2014, 01:54:49 PM »
We have some mismatched thrift store dishes. If I had to start over and money was no concern, I would get Fiestaware in several different colors so that I could easily replace it if it broke without worrying about discontinued colors.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2014, 01:59:11 PM »
The blue and white china I had for years was all mis-matched, but all blue and white. Most of it was "seconds" from Marshalls, some was contributions from relatives who didn't want it anymore, some was just picked up here and there in junque shops and garage sales. I loved it, and it was just different enough to be interesting, without looking like I had tried too hard to do something different and creative.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2014, 02:11:27 PM »
We use fine china every day and wash it in the dish washer.  Replacements are pretty cheap at second hand stores.  No-one wants it anymore it seems.  Just don't get a set with a gold rim if you have a dishwasher.   

We also use real silver silverware (bought second-hand) and put it in the dishwasher too.   

For vacation rentals we use corning ware - plain white and ikea cutlerly and glasses.