Author Topic: Backdating Health Insurance Termination Date from Employer - FL  (Read 4934 times)

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
Hi! Out of curiosity does anyone know within how many days an employer can backdate health insurance coverage. I had to separate 02/28 & HR said it would be the same day, however, the UHC website states I'm still active. Does anyone know the rules regarding this? I read some stuff about Cobra but I don't think that would apply to any "rights" I may or may not have regarding when the employer can terminate coverage, so just wondering. Ty!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:26:06 PM by MrsCoolCat »

Jtrey17

• Stubble
Re: Backdating Health Insurance Termination Date from Employer - FL
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 05:10:48 PM »
Group health insurers will terminate your coverage as of the last eligible date. Typically that means the day you last worked, or the end of that month. Likely you're appearing active simply because the insurance company hasn't been notified, but they will backdate the term date to last eligible.edited
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:12:31 PM by Jtrey17 »

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 09:02:36 PM »
OK, thanks.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 11:10:31 PM »
Here it is the last day of the month, of the last month that you worked.   I think because the premiums are paid in full at the start of the month.

There is a chance that you were processed on March 1, 2017, and get the entire month of March covered.  Just call the insurance company and ask if you are covered in march through the 31st.

BigRed

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 07:26:17 AM »
You will get a COBRA letter from your company that should detail the end date of coverage and deadlines for requesting continued coverage on your employee health plan and for sending payment for that coverage.  You should have 45 days (I think) to send notice that you wish to continue coverage and longer to actually send the payment.  So, it may cost to extend the coverage (COBRA is not cheap, you pay 102% of the full premium) but if something catastrophic happened, you would be able to retroactively get coverage.  If noting catastrophic happens, you can also negotiate cash discounts to pay your providers for service until new coverage starts.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 09:38:35 AM »
Here it is the last day of the month, of the last month that you worked.   I think because the premiums are paid in full at the start of the month.

There is a chance that you were processed on March 1, 2017, and get the entire month of March covered.  Just call the insurance company and ask if you are covered in march through the 31st.

It's important to check this.  My company just changed to only cover until your last day of work.  They get the rest of the premium refunded.  I knew someone else who thought she had insurance so she went to the doctor after her last day of work only to find out she didn't have insurance and had to pay the bill of 100's  (she could have retroactively added Cobra but the premiums for that were even higher!).

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 10:28:43 PM »
Thanks. It was backdated but I knew. It worked out.