Author Topic: Avoiding the "Pink Tax" - Lady Mustachians  (Read 10722 times)

Josey_L

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Avoiding the "Pink Tax" - Lady Mustachians
« on: May 08, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »
This post is especially geared toward lady mustachians, but all are welcome to share tips and advice.  I'm sure many of you are aware of the concept of the "pink tax," where common products and services marketed to women often cost more than similar products marketed to men.  I'd love to hear any tips related to saving on some of these popular products and services.  And please list more if you can think of them!
  • haircuts
  • shaving supplies
  • cosmetics
  • tampons
  • razors
  • work clothes and shoes
  • dry cleaning

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: Avoiding the "Pink Tax" - Lady Mustachians
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
Haircuts: I am growing out my hair and wear it up at work (ponytail, French braid, clip)
Razors & shaving supplies: I haven't priced out the difference, but if the pink products are more expensive then it is easy to go to the other end of the aisle and just buy the blue razors or shaving cream instead. For my underarms I got laser hair reduction (love!) so only shave every couple of months anyway. If only I had the time to do that for my legs....

Sanitary supplies: few ways around this. When I was on the pill I skipped the sugar pill and therefore didn't get the fake period. This saved a couple of bucks on lads and vastly improved my quality of life. Pads are so inexpensive in the grand scheme of things that I just don't think about it.

Work clothes: I shop ThredUp

Dry cleaning: I try hard to avoid wearing anything that requires dry cleaning or ironing. I just don't have the time and can't be bothered.

skekses

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 12:42:01 PM »
This post is especially geared toward lady mustachians, but all are welcome to share tips and advice.  I'm sure many of you are aware of the concept of the "pink tax," where common products and services marketed to women often cost more than similar products marketed to men.  I'd love to hear any tips related to saving on some of these popular products and services.  And please list more if you can think of them!
  • haircuts
  • shaving supplies
  • cosmetics
  • tampons
  • razors
  • work clothes and shoes
  • dry cleaning

Haircuts: If you wear your hair long and in a ponytail, DIY haircuts look the same as paid haircuts
Shaving supplies: Don't use
Cosmetics: Don't use
Tampons: Diva cup? The amazon reviews are hilarious.
Razors: Don't use (kidding!) - use man razors?
Work clothes: Buy secondhand
Dry cleaning: Don't buy clothes that require dry cleaning or throw them in the wash anyway

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »
I've had quite a bit of luck washing things that technically are t supposed to be washed. I was on cold/delicate cycle with a minimal amount of detergent and then hang dry. You may try that and see what happens, though obviously on cheaper stuff, not on your suits.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 01:01:37 PM »
  • haircuts
  I still pay for a decent haircut.  I think it looks better shorter, and I was finally able to convince myself to move up from $10 SuperCuts haircuts a few years ago.  Otherwise I would just grow it out and trim myself.  I do stretch cuts to every 8 weeks (cause I'm lazy).
  • shaving supplies, razors
  I just shop in the men's section.  Razor pricing is so ridiculous, it rarely makes sense to me, even in the men's section.  I like the green ones from Target - seem to be the lowest price per package size.  "Blue" shaving cream is 10 cents cheaper than "pink".
  • cosmetics
   I've never worn.
  • tampons
   A lucky side effect of the bc pills I'm on now is that I don't have much flow.  Pantyliners I purchased several years ago still have not run out.
  • work clothes and shoes
  I'm not convinced my clothes are that much more than men's clothes since I dress casually at work.  In terms of shoes, I go pretty cheap for the ones I wear to work, and spend more where it matters (running and hiking shoes)
  • dry cleaning
  I haven't been to the dry cleaner's in years.  Though it's probably time to take my winter coat in.

katekat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 01:18:23 PM »
I would strongly recommend menstrual cups! For cost, sure (actually, I can't even remember how much disposable period products cost, now), but for me they're just so much better for a variety of reasons: comfort, convenience, etc.

I've been using my Mooncup UK for 11 years now. In general, menstrual cups say you should replace them about every 10 years, so I should probably get around to it at some point. But mine's still going strong.

I've never noticed the thing about men's razors being cheaper -- I'll have to take a look next time I'm in the shop to see if I'm being played.

I'm a non-haircutter. I do own a pair of hair scissors, but I probably don't get around to cutting my hair more than every 18 months or so. Keeps them nice and sharp for sure!

As far as work (business) clothes go, I got very used to a casual dress code in my last job and when I took my new job I took that into consideration including the cost factor -- it's casual dress 99% of the time and that means I don't have a separate wardrobe. I have one of those (blazer + dress + skirt + pants) suit sets and some things of varying smartness as part of my normal wardrobe, enough to get by for interviews, meetings, funerals, etc. I'm not saying I wouldn't work somewhere where business-wear was expected every day, but I'd consider the cost implications of it just as much as I consider the cost implications of different commutes. Obviously this is only relevant in fields/areas where there are workplaces that fall each side of that line!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 01:55:48 PM »
I get my hair cut at a barber shop that charges the same price for men and women.

I don't grow a lot of hair since I had laser hair removal years ago,  but I just buy the cheapest razors they sell, and shave with water and soap.

I try to buy tampons on sale and in bulk, but they're really not that expensive.

I don't use cosmetics or dry cleaning. I don't really buy much clothes either - capsule wardrobing and hanging everything to dry makes stuff last forever.

So I guess my strategy is basically buy unisex, buy in bulk, or don't buy it at all. All this stuff together is honestly such a tiny fraction of my spending.

distanceman89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 02:16:13 PM »
Check out getting a safety razor- single replaceable blade and the safety bar makes it just a safe/easy to use as the disposable kind.

My wife and I share a single-bladed double sided Safety Razor from Merkur. It has a (small) upfront cost for a nice one,(looks like $23 on Amazon right now- the MK23C) but takes double-edged blades where the *best* blades are $12 for a 100 pack or similar, (Personna- also on amazon) and we shave with regular soap. Definitely a lifetime purchase if it isn't abused, and the cheapest way to shave. Also has the bonus of no packaging to speak of, and super-reducing the amount of plastic stuff going to a landfill.

Two swipes with a safety razor = the same as a fancy double blade job, with the bonus opportunity for re-lathering in between if you need for sensitive skin. They also tend not to get clogged up with hair as quickly, and the nice heavy weight just feels better to use. We've been nursing a 100 pack of blades for... 3 years now and aren't even halfway through, though I admittedly don't shave my beard/stubble completely away very often.

Josey_L

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 02:46:12 PM »
Check out getting a safety razor- single replaceable blade and the safety bar makes it just a safe/easy to use as the disposable kind... Also has the bonus of no packaging to speak of, and super-reducing the amount of plastic stuff going to a landfill.

Yes; since part of the appeal of this lifestyle comes from a desire to tread more lightly on the earth, I really like this suggestion.  Thanks!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 03:19:42 PM »
haircuts- pick a simple style that a friend or partner can do for you.  There are also youtube tutorials on DIY

shaving supplies- just don't.  I'll admit that I do shave my pits in the summer, maybe once a month.  I just use water and soap

cosmetics- just mostly don't.  I have a inexpensive tinted lip balm, it's all I use.

tampons- diva cup and cloth backup

razors- For my pits, which I previously admitted to shaving, I have a small collection of free razors from samples or coupons.  I haven't bought a razor in probably a dozen years.  Take it out of the shower and let it dry between uses. Some people advocate using a blow dryer or cloth to dry it.  Apparently keeping it dry is the secret to a long lasting sharp edge?  IDK, I don't take care of mine..

work clothes and shoes- machine washable basics for clothes, just make sure they fit well.  more basics for shoes.  I'm 4'11" but can't be bothered with heels.

dry cleaning- again, stick with machine washable basics.

So I know I probably sound like an unattractive lady (ha, and I didn't even mention I shower on average every 4th day, give or take a day.)  But people tell me I'm pretty/cute, and I think I'm aesthetically pleasing enough to go out in public.  No need to layer on fanciness, confidence is free!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 06:33:19 AM by catccc »

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 03:31:49 PM »
+1 menstrual cup. There is a thread in RR somewhere with extension discussion of brands. I also have Thinx, which are hella expensive, AND some off-brand period undies that I got four for $20 on etsy as a closeout (not so expensive).

Razors: Dollar Shave Club thinks I'm a dude. (Some people think there are cheaper ways. I like this one.) I use Dove Sensitive soap, which I buy in bulk at Costco.

Makeup, only for special occasions.

Dry cleaning: My workplace does not require suits.

Shoes: Sometimes I buy boys' shoes.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 04:29:42 PM »
    haircuts: I used to do just 2x/year but in the past year I've moved to DIY! With my husbands help to just get it straight around the bottom to start with I've had great luck cutting my own. I watch a lot of tutorials, though. This one turned out really well recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6f6MiuXW6E. When I want a longer layered one I do this two-step method: 1) make a high ponytail, pull straight up, hold between index and middle finger and cut straight across; 2) low ponytail, hold straight down, cut straight across the bottom. Neither of these looked DIY on me at all, coworkers were surprised when I revealed it was DIY. You get better over time and by learning techniques.

shaving supplies/razors: electric razor all the way. lasts 5-10 years usually, and only replace a few parts every couple of years.

cosmetics: simplify. sunscreen and home chemical peels give me good skin to begin with so the rest is less important. cheap night moisturizer, drugstore foundation/lip gloss/mascara and i'm work-appropriate.

tampons: cup! and a few pairs of absorbent undies to protect against spills

work clothes and shoes: buy staples, buy quality and to last. scarves to dress up or add a little flare. not sure why this would cost more than men's clothes, though!

dry cleaning: scam. i haven't dry-cleaned in ten years and have yet to ruin something. cold water hand wash can handle anything. people figured out how to clean their clothes before dry cleaning was a thing.

Zara

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 06:16:50 PM »
Haircuts: I do the 1x a year splurge and maintain through DIY for the rest of the year.

Shaving: DOLLAR STORE! Seriously, if you are already using the basic razors at (RandomSuperStore), you will see no difference. 5 or 10 for $1? YES PLEASE! Also +1 to keeping them dry in between uses for prolonged life. I use dove soap as an all purpose body wash because it's the only thing that doesn't irritate my skin.

Cosmetics/Toiletries: I've discovered that a lot of drug stores will do a MASSIVE sale sometime around February and I try to stock up. Obviously stock piling won't work if you have limited space but maybe you could phone a friend? ;) Also, a huge score for me has been Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupons, they regularly send out $5 off $15 or more coupons which don't expire (and I think they offer electronic versions if you don't like paper).

Work Clothes/shoes: I have found a sweet spot with a mix of thrift stores in fancy pants neighborhoods and the clearance rack at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc.

Dry Cleaning: I try to check tags before I make purchases to see if there are any care instructions that I might not want to deal with, however, I have washed dry clean only clothes on the gentle cycle (hang dry) and they came out fine.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 06:31:48 PM »
Shaving - if you rinse and dry your razor the blade will last a long time.  I use soap (glycerin) in the shower instead of shaving cream, since the point of shaving cream is to dampen and soften the hairs and lubricate the skin so the razor glides over it.

Hair - short hair needs more cutting, but the time spent washing it and drying it (not to mention electricity) and the amount of shampoo and conditioner used are noticeably less with short hair.

Cosmetics - drug store brands are fine.  Same for moisturizers, etc.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 06:41:10 PM »
razors/cosmetics/tampons/ hair color, etc. - often dirt cheap or free with coupons

Hair cuts - DIY

Work clothes - I wear scrubs

Dry cleaning - I don't buy anything that needs it

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 06:49:24 PM »
Lots of mentions of menstrual cups here (and I do love my lunette!), but cloth pads are also fantastic and you may find you prefer those.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 07:30:37 PM »
haircuts
I DIY cut my own hair (and dh's too), I follow the tutorials on youtube and it looks nice, and I find that the more I do it the more confident I am with upkeep and figuring out what looks good on me and I can do small adjustments myself if needed. I have long hair with bangs, and honestly if you are gentle on your hair (no heat tools or coloring, letting it air dry, using leave in conditioner), the ends don't get split easily and you can leave it between trims for longer. Bangs I learned to maintain myself back in my teens. I also keep my hair up (braid, pony, etc) during the day to keep it from being damaged.

On a side note, I've also been working to increase the time needed between washes, which cuts down on shampoo and water usage. I went on a 3 week camping trip back in January (grease galore!) and since then I've been able to go a week+ between washes. This frees up a lot of my time too, so extra bonus! My hair and scalp feel much healthier now, actually, no more itchiness and its a lot shinier and full, but without looking like an oil slick.

shaving supplies
I'll be honest, I'm one of those hippies that doesn't shave her legs or pits. Mostly because I'm lazy and can't be bothered, but also because I find having a bit of hair helps cut down on chafing and I'm much more comfortable. But for special occasions when I need to appear socially acceptable I do shave with a men's razor from target and a glob of conditioner, actually. I don't use shaving cream. I've used conditioner for shaving for many years now and no ill effects and there's one less bottle in my shower.

cosmetics
Similarly, I don't wear cosmetics because I'm lazy and find the time putting on my face tedious and time consuming when I'd much rather be doing other things. I do have nice cosmetics that I purchased on sale online and use them for special occasions. I actually did my own makeup for my wedding (watched a bunch of youtube tutorials).
On a daily basis I just wash my face with gentle wash and use a moisturizer and if I'm feeling fancy, a swipe of dollar store mascara and I'm good to go.

tampons
I have a cup that I wish I could use more but I find I cramp more intensely with it in, unfortunately. I've tried it for the last year+ and no matter what I do or what techniques I use or where I position it it is still noticeably uncomfortable. I haven't given up on menstrual cups and I really want to make that work because tampon waste is frustrating to me and I like the no-landfill nature of a silicone cup. But currently I do spring for tampons because I'm weak :)

work clothes and shoes
About 90% of my wardrobe comes from prowling Goodwill since I was a teenager. I look for good quality construction, classic cuts and fabrics, and good brands. Each time I go I usually find at least one item that meets my requirements. I have spent more than $20 on a clothing item only like 5 times in my life and you would never know it based on my wardrobe.
My workplace is casual, my wardrobe most often consists of jeans and a non-dumpy shirt. I like button-downs with funky patterns or sweaters or on Fridays a fun t-shirt.
Shoes I do splurge a bit because if you have uncomfortable feet the rest of your body is uncomfortable. I generally wait for online sales and I prioritize functional footwear that is multi-use (running shoes, hiking shoes, boots) over fancy footwear (pumps, etc). If I'm going to pay a bunch of money I want to be comfortable and able to wear the shoes as often and in as many places without looking ridiculous as possible.

dry cleaning
I have never dry cleaned anything in my life. If something is delicate I usually end up washing it like normal anyway (because I spent $5 on it and don't really care if it disintegrates) and I think I have only ever ruined one sweater. But the saving in time and effort and brain power in just treating all my clothing the same is worth the possibility of one of my cheap clothing items potentially getting ruined.

Some other things off the top of my head:
for bras, I have relatively small breasts so I often go bra-less, which translates to less $ going toward buying undergarments. I have one "nice bra" and the rest of the time I wear sports bras because they are the most comfortable and cheaper.
I also avoid jewelry, I have a few necklaces that I rotate through and my wedding/engagement rings and a few earrings that I like. I find that I'm not too fussed about bracelets or clunky necklaces or things like that.
My husband and I share sticks of deodorant, I don't get the fancy lady deodorant.

lol reading back through this makes me sound like a hippie or something, I swear I'm mostly normal.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:39:43 PM by LadyLB »

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 03:55:39 AM »
Like many here, I don't wear make-up, I use a menstral cup (the keeper), I shave with a safety razor, and the place I get my hair cut twice a year charges the same for my husband. I'd like to cut my own hair; haven't had the guts yet. I have a steam cycle in my dryer that eliminates the need for dry cleaning the few dresses that call for it on the tags.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 04:51:31 AM »
Hair: I do pay a bit more for haircuts than my hubby as long hair isn't flattering on me. Still, 30$ every few months is ok and I don't dye it which is the big expense.

Shaving: I only shave my pits, a razor lasts a year.  Who cares if um legs have hair? Men. That's who. They can fuck right off. Also I never wear anything but pants to work so I'm only friends with people who don't care if I have hair on my.legs.

Tampons: menstrual cup, mirena IUD.

Makeup- don't wear it.

Work clothes/dry cleaning- same as H. We both buy work clothes new most of the time, and never stuff that needs dry cleaning or ironing. Cost is similar. We only dry clean interview suits. Mostly I buy simple stuff that all matches (always black pants, etc). I'm.not trying to be stylish.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 06:01:49 AM »
The pink tax title reminded me of this- love Ellen

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eCyw3prIWhc

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 06:37:40 AM »
My haircuts are expensive, but just twice a year, and my annual cost is reasonable
Clothes, I don't see increased expense, but sometimes lower quality. I try to use brands with a good value
Makeup I love a lot. I have a small curated collection including cheap lipstick and mascara, and expensive eye shadow and foundation. Not a lot of colour variety anymore, and I make sure I hit pan.
Mix of cloth and disposable pads.
Whichever razors are cheap and effective

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 08:58:42 AM »
You can eliminate a lot of the "pink tax" by unsubscribing from standard female beauty norms, but it's a bit of an adjustment.
I only get my hair cut 2-3 times a year and get a student special when I do (either get my hair cut by a student for cheap, or use my student ID to get a discount). Would do it myself but it's curly and I know I'd fuck it up.
I don't wear makeup, except for sunscreen/moisturizer.
I pluck my own eyebrows.
I don't wear bras (seriously so liberating).
I don't shave my legs and only infrequently shave my pits, and when I do I use a men's razor and soap.
Menstrual cup.
I use a trading group for some of my clothes, keep them a long time because I don't put them in the dryer, and repair small holes when possible. I do spend extra for high quality when I do buy something new. The rest of the time, secondhand is great.
Sales on deodorant, shampoo, etc.
What even is dry cleaning? I hand wash delicate things and don't buy stuff that requires expensive maintenance.
All that being said, I work in a casual environment and don't really care about "girly" stuff. I've been gradually eliminating stuff I used to think was necessary, and find I can save a bunch of time and money. Your mileage may vary.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »
I am part genetically blessed and part, can't avoid it.

Hair - I don't get my hair cut ever and when I do, I do it myself, but I tend to get my hair braided and having very coarse and kinky hair, this is the only way I can conveniently protect my hair. Sadly, hair care is a cost, I have to deal with as I am not willing yet to permanently straighten my hair and keep straightening it with new growth.
Shaving - I epilate, only my armpits and bikini region because I have been blessed to have no hair on my arms and legs. My mom too has no hair on legs and arms. I get people who randomly ask me how my legs and arms are so smooth. It's funny, in Middle School, I didn't know people shaved their legs until a girl asked me what I use to shave and I asked her what she meant, I told her I had never shaved my legs and she gasped to the whole class who then proceeded to touch my legs)
Clothes - I have a capsule wardrobe and rarely shop.
Makeup - I'm a minimalist here and products last me like years. I admit, I don't wear it often, only when I have time. Except the three lipsticks that I own, I quite like lipstick.
I have endometriosis and birth control is the only way for me to get relief, so I get a shot every three months. My last one was free, I believe my insurance covered. No periods, no sanitary pads. My periods are heavy, painful, vomit inducing, do not like, do not want. After I had surgery, I was pretty much done with periods.
Skincare - I have both a cheap and expensive routine. My cheap routine (is a $4 bar of black soap, $15 vitamin c serum, $24 Clinique moisturizer (I have used it since my teenage years and I have strayed and used Shea Butter, oils, but my skin simply loves this, I have decided to just accept the cost because there is no dupe). My expensive routine substitutes black soap for Clinique Cleanser. Oh and Apple Cider Vinegar toner or stridex pads (Wal-Mart often has like two for $5, cheap effective exfoliator.)
Shoes - I have only three pairs that I wear outside, flats, sneakers and heels. I only wear one pair of heels to work and they are the only pair I own. Sneakers are for exercising and the flats are cute and go with everything. Cost: Sneakers - $70 Flats - $40 and heels - $30
Dry cleaning - Cost me $11 for a suit and I do this very rarely.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:46:25 AM by Rimu05 »

Josey_L

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 10:35:56 AM »
The pink tax title reminded me of this- love Ellen

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eCyw3prIWhc

This is hilarious, I love it!

Josey_L

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 10:38:01 AM »
lol reading back through this makes me sound like a hippie or something, I swear I'm mostly normal.

LadyLB, normal is overrated; and I think you sound like a confident lady with a cool sense of style.  I am a hippy at heart trapped in a semi-corporate dress code. ;) Thanks for sharing your tips!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 11:32:44 AM by NWJo »

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2017, 06:14:25 PM »
Great suggestions here.

Haircut - for years I got a twice yearly cut for my long, thick layers.  $60 a pop and worth every penny.  6 months ago I tried a Crea Clip and never looked back.  It even does layers and I can trim as often as I want.

Nails - I bought a $17 gel UV light from ebay, works great.  I buy gel polish on Amazon, 8 colors for $15, lasts and lasts.  This is my alternative to $30 nail salon visits.  LOVE IT.

Brows - I'm eyeing a wax warmer and hard wax thingies.  Will be a learning curve involved for sure, but will be well worth it if I can make it work.  The youtube DIY's  don't look too horrible.

Makeup - please check out www.beautypedia.com, Paula Begoun's reviews of makeup and skincare.  Drugstore brands like e.l.f. get top ratings, and most items are $3 - $6. Good skincare is a bit pricier, so it's an individual decision.

I buy most clothes on ebay these days.

And what is this drycleaning you speak of? :D

Cali Nonya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2017, 07:28:53 PM »
The Good:
+1 Diva cup for several years, works great
Long straight hair, so occasional trims by family members (nothing but generic shampoo & conditioner)
Very minimal make-up (tinted sun-screen base & light mascara)

The Bad:
Clothes and dry-cleaning are killers for me though (due to dress-codes).  Hate both of those, but I just pay out the nose since there are some things I'd rather pay the money on than waste time trying to minimize cost. 

The Ugly:
Cheap, cheap, cheaper-than cheap bargain bin purses.  Seriously, WTF is it with the price of hand-bags?  That is one thing I really have never understood.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2017, 07:52:08 PM »
Here are some of my favorite money saving things:
- crea clip: hair cutting tool to diy layers $5
- menstrual​ cup: $17
- tinted lip balm: for lips and blush

I don't paint my nails anymore, which used to be a big hobby for me and I do miss it sometimes.

Also, I had electrolysis for eyebrows and armpits. Totally not money saving, but was worth it for the zero maintenance I now have.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2017, 06:29:45 AM »
haircuts- I have very long hair and only get it cut two to three times a year. I do still go to the same stylist I've always gone to because I truly enjoy catching up with her while I'm "in the chair." I only do cut though, so it's not like I'm shelling out big bucks every time I go.

shaving supplies/razors- Tried Dollar Shave Club. I honestly found the quality of the razors so poor that I cancelled the subscription. I did however get an email several months after that that they would give me a free pack if I joined again, so I joined for the free pack and then canceled again. Maybe wrong, but hey, they offered. Now I wait until Costco does their "coupons" on razors and buy there. Shaving cream is whatever soap is in the shower.

cosmetics- Whatever I have coupons for, no brand loyalty. I usually purchase at Ulta because you can use manufacturer coupons and also stack it with their in-store coupon.

tampons- I'm sticking with the Tampax Pearl. I just absolutely cannot get behind the menstrual cup. I legitimately think I would throw up having to use it, and I'm not trying to be facetious or dramatic.

work clothes and shoes/dry cleaning- dry cleaning is unfortunately a fact of life for me since I do have to wear suits to work. I recently changed to a lower cost cleaners though and I wear my outfits multiple times (assuming they don't smell and aren't dirty) before I take them in. I wear the same black flats every single day. They're comfortable and when they wear out, I buy the same pair again (Sam & Libby from Target- most comfortable flats I've ever owned).

kissthesky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2017, 09:18:35 PM »
haircuts - cut my own hair or have my sister do it. I cut my SO's hair too. It's really not hard at all once you get over the fear of totally messing up and pulling a Brittany
shaving supplies - nope
cosmetics - nope
tampons - nope. +1 to talking birth control pills continually and not getting a period and all!!!
razors - I'll buy a pack of new heads like once a year of Amazon
work clothes and shoes - nope. I get enough free clothes from volunteering, friends cleaning out their closets, yard sale free bins, etc
dry cleaning - can't help here sorry, jeans and t-shirt it is for me

kbray003

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 11:30:51 AM »
haircuts - I cut my own hair and have been for about 5 years. I researched how, watched how-to videos, bought a nice pair of shears and never looked back. I only cut it one style that's easy, so it works for me, but may not work for everyone if you are looking for a certain style or like to change your hair a lot.   

shaving supplies - I do not buy shaving cream.  I do buy expensive razors with the strip of lubricant and just use the shower water.  So maybe I am not really saving money here.

cosmetics - I do not wear makeup.  I see no point.  Saves a ton of money and because of this, I also do not use face cleaner.... I scrub my face with a wash rag in the shower to exfoliate and my face is as clear as can be.

Soap and cleaners - I don't wash my face (see above), so no special face wash.  I buy cheap castile bar soap that lasts forever and only really use it on certain parts of my body so I don't use that much. 

tampons - Look into using a diva cup or another kind.  Once you get over the gross factor you never have to buy tampons and it's MUCH more convenient

razors - I'm not sure here.  I don't have a solution because I like expensive razors.  I looked into Dollar Shave Club, but the razors were very basic.  Maybe there's another option out there. 

work clothes and shoes - I shop at thrift stores for my work clothes.  For shoes I invest in a couple of really nice pairs that I can wear a long time.  It's not important to me to have a bunch of different styles.  I like to keep it simple and that helps save a lot of money.

dry cleaning - I do not buy clothes that require dry cleaning with the exception of blazers. Because they are jackets, I don't have them cleaned very often. Maybe once a year because I also do not wear them that often. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:44:19 AM by kbray003 »

katrinajp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 11:36:01 AM »
For haircuts, I've been using the Creaclip. It's around 20ish dollars but quickly pays for itself! You might need a friend to help you cut your hair with it until you get the hang of it.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2017, 04:15:13 PM »
Shaving.
My razors are so much cheaper than DH's...  I buy the disposable pink "bic" two blade ones, and they are great.   

Use cheap hair conditioner (anything you no longer want to use, or the free stuff from hotel mini bottles) for the shaving cream.

Hair -- growing out longer hair with fewer cuts is the answer..

Work clothes -- I scaled back by shopping at thrift stores, where women's selection is far superior to men's.  DH doesn't really care what the shirt style is, as long as it fits, which is the only reason he can shop thrift.  I get choice.

Work shoes -- I have a pair of heels, a pair of everyday work shoes, and an alternate summer shoe for work (and steel toed boots for site).   DH has a similar level of shoes, and his maybe cost a bit more per pair.   You have to spend a lot to  have shoes last, so go fewer for work, and have fun with cheap weekenders.

Soap and makeup, -- yep.   I spend more, but everyone has something they like to spend money on.   I bought organic natural soap bar, and that stopped the spending on a lot of body wash and face soap products, so I only buy face moisturizer and sunscreen and makeup now.

Makeup -- tip -- use the pencil versions for makeup, whenever you can.  Last a lot longer.  Can travel easily.

Feminine products -- I actually consider these a household item, like TP, so the cost is the same for DH and me.  50/50.  actually, I am trying out momma pads and luna pads and the diva cup...  (which are spendy if you don't like them).

Dry cleaning -- I use the in-dryer system for light refreshing, and only dry clean about once / year per dry clean item.  As others said, shop for other clothes.   DH would be more $$ here, if he had shirts for work, as I can't press them at home as nicely as the Dry cleaner can, but my other woman clothes can be used with the dryer system  (Walmart still carries it).

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2017, 07:39:34 PM »
haircuts - found a neighbour who cuts hair.  I give her $25 for a cut every 3-4 months.  Curly hair, so it's worth it.

shaving supplies - we have a few reusable plasticized cloth strips and this:  http://www.epil-vite.ca/en/productos/sugar-wax/hair-awy-cold-wax-sensitive-skin/ - it's microwavable and water-soluble and a jar lasts us years, even though I also use it on DH's neck (nape).  For clean-up, I soak the strips and scrape them off; the small amount of gunk (about a tsp.) goes into the garbage. The company will sell direct to individuals, though they charge for shipping.  After years of ripping the hair out at the roots, very little grows back and there's no stubble.

cosmetics - I have a few cheapo things that last for years.  I don't wear much make-up at all.

tampons - menopause works for me :-)

work clothes and shoes - they hired me for my brains, not my clothes.  One of the perks of working in tech.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
haircuts - cut it myself until I tore up my shoulder and upper back so I can't lift my arm to do it. Now I go to the beauty school for $3 haircuts

shaving supplies -   dilute Dr. Bronners Castille soap.

cosmetics - I don't wear them

tampons - menopause

Deodorant - men's unscented. Same brand, larger container for less.

razors - a pack of pink razors from Dollar Tree lasts more than a year.

work clothes and shoes - got tenure, wear jeans. :) Also thrift store for fancy events

dry cleaning - I don't, never have. Every now and again I buy dry clean only at a thrift store, in which case I make sure to hang it to dry, but it goes in the washer. Haven't lost a single article of clothing yet.

Edit: format nightmare
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 02:16:52 AM by Rural »

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2017, 11:49:34 PM »
Body hair: I saved for laser years ago. It was $3000 grand for 5 sessions and my only regret is I didn't do it 10 years earlier. I am pale with black hair, the root below the skin looks like stubble. And I got brutal razor burn from shaving and bad ingrown hairs from waxing. I still have some hair, which I wax or shave/use epilady on. I still find the epilady quite useful, and waxing is far less of an ordeal with less hair. If you're waxing, I recommend Persian cold Wax.

Menstrual: can't wear the cup, so use a mix of cotton and disposables. Used to use cotton exclusively, but wore on me after a while, esp not having own laundry. Had no issue with leaks with cotton, even when I forgot to change, which was a nice change from disposables. Tried the sea sponge 'tampon', didn't work out.

Makeup: Boy do I ever get allergic reactions to something in the fancy high-end brands, that are supposed to be super clean. I don't know what it is I'm reacting to. The cheaper ones don't give me trouble. I use Neutragena Eye cream or Aveno lotion on my face/around my eyes, Cetaphil to wash my face.
I wear under-eye concealer and nothing else unless I'm going to a thing. I like makeup, but mostly I can't be f---ing bothered to put it on or take it off.
I dye my own hair (roots only) and make the box last for 3-4 uses by only mixing a couple tablespoons at a time.

Deodorant: I have all this sample size deodorants because I live downtown where the companies live to do sample giveaways. When those run out I'll just buy some unscented. Deodorant is hella expensive now, $4 is a good deal.

Clothes: High-end consignment store in town, and costco. Once Bought a pair of new Lululemon pants the same week as a pair of $20 no-name pants, they wore out at the exact same time. (and I was handwashing the lululemon like they say to, and machine washing the no-name)  I'll get Lululemon at the consignment store, but I expect never to buy a pair new again.

I did extreme couponing for a while, but stopped after a year/and a half. I'm in Canada, and the best we can get is about 70% off. Not free or money back. I did get some deals, but it took a lot of effort to keep things organized (and if you're not organized, you will miss the deals)
I decided my time would be better used creating wealth in other ways. And usually, I could get a better price at Costco anyway.

thegardener

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2017, 11:20:04 AM »
I have lots of strategies for saving on all of these things. Keeping in mind that I do a combination of self-employed work and run a plant business, my answers may not apply to everyone.

haircuts- I've learned to cut my own with a little bit of touch up trimming done by my husband. I keep a simple hairstyle and pull it up most of the time. I get my shampoo for $0.50 per bottle or less using coupons and sales. I limit the time I spend on this by utilizing coupon blogs.
shaving supplies- I currently have a massive supply of razors acquired for free using coupons. When these run out, I will probably buy a safety razor because of the environmental impact of disposable razors. I use shaving cream that I get free using coupons. It's usually men's shaving cream, but I don't particularly care.
cosmetics- I have curated my cosmetic collection to some high-quality natural lip balm, mascara, blush, and eyeshadow. I don't wear these things all of the time, but I have them when I need them. I use acne products from a local dollar store. They have the same active ingredients as the name brand stuff and seem to work as well as any acne products.
tampons- I've heard of people who use cups and reusable pads, I can't wear a cup. I get feminine products free or dirt cheap with coupons.
razors- see above
work clothes and shoes- I currently wear whatever for work. In a previous job that required suit jackets, pants, and blouses, I shopped a combination of clearance racks and thrift stores. I still have a large high-quality work wardrobe, which I may need to downsize here if I'm not using it. I have a select few pairs of high-quality dress shoes due to bad feet and a desire to not own a bunch of shoes. The pair I wear most often is a pair of black leather Clarks that I got at JCPenney for $50 on a great sale.
dry cleaning- I buy machine washable suits. This may not work in every profession, but it has worked very well for me.

SummerLovin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2017, 06:06:02 PM »
haircuts- I have short hair (it doesn't grow evenly and I don't have time or patience to deal with ugly hair in the meanwhile) need a cut every 2 months- Hairmasters-$20 with tip, DIY dye as needed.

shaving supplies- use hair conditioner (a little goes a long way) but haven't bought any recently since I always stash and save hotel bottles when I travel.

cosmetics- Don't usually wear make up, but if I do, Covergirl sensitive skin stuff and lip balm. In summer I refill a lip balm round with coconut oil.

tampons- try the Diva Cup ( read up on them and give it a few tries, you'll be amazed)

razors- Venus sensitive skin razors -3 pack at ~$7 bought 1 year ago, just threw out the 1st razor and I shave armpits and legs 1-2x week. can get coupons from Sunday paper (Dollar store) or online.  Also recommend safety razor (Merkur) and blade refills.

work clothes and shoes-Buy a few nice slacks, many blouses and mix and match outfits. I stick to classics styles and lines vs. fashions those that go out of season. Shoes- I tend to spend more (~100 USD) on the types of shoes I wear most often. When I find a pair I really like I buy multiple pairs and switch them out, the last longer that way.  I  choose comfort over fashion, and since I don't wear high heel shoes often I'll spend less on those. I do have many sandals, but try to buy at Ross or Marshall's at the end of the season and save for next year.

dry cleaning-I do my best NOT to buy anything that requires dry cleaning.  Here's a link to DIY dry cleaning YRMV https://thesecretyumiverse.wonderhowto.com/how-to/wash-your-dry-clean-only-clothes-home-for-cheap-0150705/  If you focus on buying travel type materials that should help, as well as avoiding those materials that "require" dry cleaning: cashmere, wool, silk, velvet, leather.  I did buy a PurSteam Fabric Steamer for travel and home and I love it.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2017, 11:47:20 AM »
For razors, I use Harry's. It's a subscription service, but I don't need a new blade nearly as often as they think I do, so I plan to stockpile for a little while and then stop. If you use Rich Roll's link (harrys.com/roll) and use the code ROLL you can get your first handle, 2 blades, and a mini bottle of shave gel/cream for $10 and free shipping. (I think it's $10, but it could be $15. I can't tell if the $5 discount is already taken off or not, and it's been a while since I did it, so I don't remember.) Then you can also start a "shave plan" for $15 per shipment. You get 8 blades per shipment, and you decide whether you want a shipment every 2, 3, or 5 months. You can cancel whenever you want. I get them every 5 months, and I only change my blade every few months, so I'm stockpiling blades, and eventually I'll cancel the subscription and live on my $2 blades for several years.