Author Topic: Avoiding helmet hair - can lady staches offer advice?  (Read 15915 times)

Igelfreundin

• Stubble
Avoiding helmet hair - can lady staches offer advice?
« on: April 03, 2013, 01:25:16 PM »
I am moving soon for a new job (yeah!) and I should be able to bicycle to work (double yeah!). I'm looking forward to making this Mustachian move, but I'm worried about my hair. That probably sounds silly, but my office is pretty professional - a suit wouldn't be out of place. How can I style my hair so that a bike helmet doesn't destroy my hair? I have shoulder-length hair, but would be willing to cut it or grow it out to achieve a bike-friendly, professional hairstyle. Keep in mind that I won't have access to a shower or hair dryer at the office, although I could probably touch up the hair in the bathroom before I begin my day.

What do other bicyclists do in this situation?

Kaytee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Avoiding helmet hair - can lady staches offer advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 01:38:38 PM »
In my longer hair days, I would braid it and then cover with a bandana before donning the bike helmet. Now my hair is just above shoulder length, so I have no idea what I'm going to do that will be successful. Looking forward to what others have to say.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 01:39:14 PM »
i have shoulder-length hair, too, with bangs, but i'm pretty low-maintenance with it -- i don't flat iron it or anything, just wash and let it dry.

usually i put it in low ponytails on the way there, then remove them in the bathroom at work and fluff. i find the sweat actually makes my hair look nicer -- gives it a little more volume. i haven't noticed a dent from the helmet or anything, have you?

snellbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 02:39:33 PM »
When I biked to work, I usually just pulled it into a low ponytail (below the helmet) and brushed it out once I got to the office. If it was especially humid (I live in PA, so it's usually pretty cool in the morning), I'd bring a straightening iron and it took about 5 min extra in the bathroom to smooth out. I don't use any hairspray or gels or anything though, so not sure how that'd factor in if you do.

Reepekg

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 02:41:19 PM »
I'm a guy who has wandered in, but I'm glad I did because it is an excuse to talk about some cool tech. Basically, the Swedes have you covered.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/20/the-invisible-helmet-inve_n_781575.html

I'm not sure I can recommend the un-Mustachian price, but I know ladies do love their hair and there seem to be some safety benefits over traditional bike helmets on further reading.

Mrs. Redbeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »
I am an extremely sweaty person...I wish I weren't,  but I am. About a half mile into my morning ride into work I am already sweaty no matter what the weather is like. The best cure for the helmet hair I have created a 2 part system.

#1 I wear a bandana/headband or other type of covering to keep the hair off of my sweaty forehead. I use a "buff" that I've had for backpacking for a while now (http://www.buffwear.com/buff-headwear/original-buff). I suppose you could make yourself a similar moisture-wicking fabric tube at home pretty inexpensively if you have the right equipment.

#2 Baby powder. It sounds weird, but it works. I dust a little bit on the roots of my hair in the bathroom before work, rub it all around my scalp, and fluff (and possibly brush through if I'm feeling fancy). I have dark brown hair, so it took some getting used to in regards to how much powder to apply. It works wonders in getting rid of the pasted-down, sad, limp hair.

I have it down to a 2 minute pre-work routine at this point. I just leave the buff in my helmet and put it on before each ride. Each step does work pretty well on its own (and I will most likely just wear the buff if I know I don't have any clients coming in that day)...just a matter of trial and error. Hope this helps!

MtnGal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 03:25:39 PM »
My recommendation is to use a hairmet http://scrubs.wikia.com/wiki/Hairmet. :)

Other than that I will second the baby powder and low ponytail. I have a short commute, so as long as I get my hair totally dry before leaving the house I do not have this issue. Otherwise I would need to use a flatiron at work.

stealmystapler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 04:41:59 PM »
I am blessed/cursed with naturally curly hair and I've been biking to work on and off since last year. I can't blow-dry my hair unless I want to have a frizzball head, so I end up having wet hair at work for about the first hour whether I bike or drive. (I work with archaeologists, so this is fortunately not a problem. I just don't schedule outside meetings until 9:30) When I bike, I put Deva Moisture-Lock in my hair and put it in a ponytail. Then, when I arrive I put a bit of gel in my hair. The system seems to work pretty well in my situation at least.

blueeyetea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:40:34 AM »
Because I wear wool hats in winter, I use styling paste that I get from my hair stylist.   All I need to do once I remove my hat is to move the hair back in place with my fingers.  It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way.

Also talk to your hairstylist.  She might be able to help.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 11:58:26 AM »
This might be a silly question, but is wearing a helmet mandatory? You could just do without.
She seems to be doing fine with long hair: http://letsgorideabike.com/blog/2010/02/in-honor-of-free-flowing-hair/

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 12:57:27 PM »
This might be a silly question, but is wearing a helmet mandatory? You could just do without.
She seems to be doing fine with long hair: http://letsgorideabike.com/blog/2010/02/in-honor-of-free-flowing-hair/

Well, yes, you could go without, but I've been in bike accidents (one of which caused a serious concussion) and I'd rather have bad hair than not wear a helmet. That said, if one can have nice hair and a helmet, that would be best!

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »
Keep a good brush and some bobby pins  at work and learn a simple up-do routine (think 40's styles) that you can do in under one minute and you're set!

Good luck to you!

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 06:56:46 AM »
I'm really late to this post, but I have a method that works great for curly girls. I have wavy/curly hair about chin length. I pile my wet hair onto the top of my head and then cover with a bandanna (to do this I bend at the waist with my head upside down and but the bandanna on that way). I put the helmet on top of that. When I get to my destination I remove helmet and bandanna and fluff out my hair. My hair actually looks better on the days that I bike! When people see me on the bike and see my hair a few minutes later, they are often amazed.

Curly girls may be familiar with "plopping"-- that's essentially what I am doing and then just adding the helmet on top:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/to-plop-or-not-to-plop

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 07:40:58 AM »
I'm really late to this post, but I have a method that works great for curly girls. I have wavy/curly hair about chin length. I pile my wet hair onto the top of my head and then cover with a bandanna (to do this I bend at the waist with my head upside down and but the bandanna on that way). I put the helmet on top of that. When I get to my destination I remove helmet and bandanna and fluff out my hair. My hair actually looks better on the days that I bike! When people see me on the bike and see my hair a few minutes later, they are often amazed.

Curly girls may be familiar with "plopping"-- that's essentially what I am doing and then just adding the helmet on top:

...Do you need a bigger helmet to do this?

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »

...Do you need a bigger helmet to do this?

I guess it depends on how much hair you have! A lot of helmets these days are easily adjustable so that gives you a lot of flexibility. I haven't had any trouble with my regular size helmet.

kiwi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SQL Practice Problems
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 02:52:57 PM »
I was in Amsterdam recently, the biking capital of the world.  It's astounding to see a place that's so very bike oriented.

Anyway, I was really struck by the fact that almost nobody wore bike helmets.  I did see a few little kids on bikes, wearing helmets, but that's it.   

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 10:53:44 AM »
I was in Amsterdam recently, the biking capital of the world.  It's astounding to see a place that's so very bike oriented.

Anyway, I was really struck by the fact that almost nobody wore bike helmets.  I did see a few little kids on bikes, wearing helmets, but that's it.

Different infrastructure, different drivers. Biking in Amsterdam is nothing like biking almost anywhere in the US.

lt_smith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 11:13:33 PM »

Different infrastructure, different drivers. Biking in Amsterdam is nothing like biking almost anywhere in the US.
Biking in places like Amsterdam, Copenhagen, and other European cities is no different than walking.  The infrastructure and the mentality is in place that a person should just be able to hop on a bike and go to their destination, regardless of what they're wearing or their hair, or whatever.  People bike in full suits.  They don't RACE in full suits, darting in and out of car traffic, leaned over the handlebars and pedaling like crazy. No one does that. And helmets are entirely unnecessary. It's almost as ridiculous as wearing a helmet while walking. And that is how liveable and beautiful cities are trending. That is the future.

Ms Manageable Muttonchops

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 06:42:18 AM »
I hate to be so late to the game but I wish I had found this thread sooner! I am in EXACTLY the same situation. I bike to work and I have no access to a shower at work.

I am in the south so needless to say it is HOT...and HUMID. There is really no hope of getting to work without sweating...even if it was downhill the whole way I would probably sweat...even at 7AM.

On days when I have no meetings or important people to impress, I don't usually worry to much. I do the low ponytail everyone has already mentioned and then just brush it out and put a clip in it at work or something.

On days when I do have people to impress (*sigh* the corporate sillyness) I shower right before leaving and take my wet (just above shoulder length) hair and ball it up in a Buff (I believe those were already mentioned here). I make sure it is all tucked in under the buff (my neck sweats like it is nobody's business) and then plop the helmet on top. It is still wet when I get to work, so I look like I just got out of the shower (shhh, nobody has to know!). I have never owned a blow dryer in my life, so I just towel dry/roller brush it out and it is usually dry within the half hour. I don't see a reason you couldn't keep a blow dryer at work though if it is necessary to keep you hair in check?

Buffs can be stupidly expensive, I tend to get them as gifts from family who see me as the "outdoorsy" type. A girlfriend of mine recently made one out of some fabric she got online and she said it cost her about $6/buff rather than $30. Only difference is that hers has a seam while the "buff" is a seamless tube. This in inconsequential. I have not asked her how long she goes between washes for it though. My buffs seem to last FOREVER without getting smelly. No idea how that works when I sweat on it every day, but it sure is convenient.

This has worked for me for almost a year now with no issues. Usually by showering right before I leave I can use baby wipes for the sweat when I change and then I don't even stink! The miracles of the modern world.

I am just waiting for the time when society shifts to "norm" being everyone being a little rumpled from getting to work because they used some form of active transportation....but that is probably a long way off...