Author Topic: Foldable Touring Bike  (Read 1492 times)

WalkaboutStache

• Stubble
Foldable Touring Bike
« on: April 04, 2019, 04:16:16 AM »
I have owned a touring bike before, and loved it.  I went from NYC to Roanoke, VA on it, and kept it as my daily commuter.  It was not light, but it was solid.  I have since sold it.

I am now thinking about taking a sabbatical in Europe, and after having traveled with a sweet, sweet ride with S&S couplers, I have come to the conclusion that is not the ideal setup. From my reading, I have seen that people are riding Bromptons as touring bikes.  Sure, foldables are not as fast as a regular tourer, but I like the idea of being able to hop on a train or plane without much fuss.

Alas, those things are EXPENSIVE!!! I'll start poking around craigslist and the like, but I thought I would ask here too.  What alternatives (if any) would you suggest?

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
Re: Foldable Touring Bike
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 06:25:31 AM »
Oooh, do it! I've done some bike touring in Europe (9 countries) and loved it. A couple thoughts:

1) Folding bikes are rad but Bromptons are far from the only option. Personally, I don't like the ride on the Bromptons. Are they amazing for their size? For sure. Do some people tour on them? Yup. Would I? Absolutely not. I have a Tern Verge 11i and it is an amazing bike. It rides better than most non-folding bikes that I have had. It's heavier and bigger than a Brompton but the ride is no comparison.

2) It can be easier to buy a bike in Europe than to fly one over. Bikes take a lot of abuse on airlines and the fees are not insubstantial. Bike prices in Europe are very reasonable. Depending on what routes you're taking (you know about Eurovelo routes, right?) you may not need more than a cheap bike with racks. A $250-500 bike that you buy there & then sell at the end of your trip is a better option for lots of people. And most European trains have bike compartments that you buy a bike ticket for. No biggie at all to hop on with full-size touring bikes.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 06:49:23 AM »
Everyone I've known who had a Bike Friday has loved it, although admittedly that's only two people. But even the pre-loved ones are pricey: https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/adverts

My impression of Bromptons was always that they were more urban bikes and not really tough enough for touring, but I have not looked into them lately, so that could be totally wrong.

I like Kidstache's idea of just buying a bike once you get over there. You could probably be proactive since it's the internet age and go ahead and set up something with a bike shop so that it doesn't take up tons of time once you get over there.

Where in Europe do you plan to tour? I will have to do this vicariously for now....

WalkaboutStache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 11:11:27 PM »
I am thinking about doing a slow trip of the Portuguese coast, with long-ish stops in each destination to check out the beaches. 

Eurovelo was a good tip, @Dr Kidstache !  I'll add that to my research resources, as was the idea of buying one and selling it at the end.  That is the other thing I am considering.

There is a fair bit about touring with Bromptons, @Duchess of Stratosphear , but yes, they are probably not the bike for major tours with significant elevation changes and difficult terrain.  For me the tradeoff is being able to fly without the crazy fees, and without a bike box.  Having said that, I am not ready to commit yet.  The trip will definitely happen, but I am at the very beginning of my research.

It may be time to start a journal.

JustK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 04:28:05 AM »
I would definitely read your journal if you start one! My dream is to travel the world with a folding bike (and/or a tiny house) one day.  I plan to get a Bike Friday when that time comes, but for now I have a couple of Dahons (a Speed P8 and an EEZZ D3) that I use for fun, short rides around town.  I have a small car, so the ability to just throw my bikes in the trunk and go is awesome. (Being able to throw a Bike Friday in a suitcase and go abroad would be even better!)

Enjoy!

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 02:38:29 PM »
This is old and maybe not relevant to your concerns, but an interesting strategy for flying with a bike and not having to pay for it: https://www.bikelaw.com/2015/01/flying-with-a-bike-a-way-around-excessive-fees/