Author Topic: auto insurance  (Read 4616 times)

billy

• Bristles
  • fired at 39 since 2021
auto insurance
« on: August 03, 2016, 01:32:37 PM »
I have The Hartford auto insurance for my one car and nothing else and I'm looking on switching to save money to Ameriprise, because it's the cheapest and Consumer reports gives it a decent rating.  But I have read bad things about Ameriprise from reviews, what do you think?  Anyone have Ameriprise by any chance?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: auto insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 09:45:57 AM »
I don't use them. But remember, people are FAR more likely to post a negative review than a positive one. Something I have told my mother (usually loudly, followed by a change of topic) about every single apartment complex I've ever lived in.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 06:23:38 PM »
Haven't used Ameriprise, but if you have a military background or a family member who can give you a USAA referral, they're great and get consistently wonderful reviews.

billy

• Bristles
  • fired at 39 since 2021
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 10:33:38 PM »
Haven't used Ameriprise, but if you have a military background or a family member who can give you a USAA referral, they're great and get consistently wonderful reviews.

Can my sister that's in the Army reserve give me a referral? 

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 08:26:04 AM »

Can my sister that's in the Army reserve give me a referral?

Yes, if she has an account with USAA.

billy

• Bristles
  • fired at 39 since 2021
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 04:15:04 PM »
I just called USAA and they said no way jose

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 08:31:30 PM »
I just called USAA and they said no way jose
Does your sister hava a USAA account?

billy

• Bristles
  • fired at 39 since 2021
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 08:33:52 PM »
Yes she does, USAA said it needs to be mom dad spouse.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »
I don't use them. But remember, people are FAR more likely to post a negative review than a positive one. Something I have told my mother (usually loudly, followed by a change of topic) about every single apartment complex I've ever lived in.

Yeah, when I shopped around a couple of years ago, every single insurance company that I checked out had horrible reviews.  I'm using State Farm right now, and so far they have been very reasonably priced.  But who knows what would happen if I filed a claim.  I think if you have to file a claim on your auto insurance, regardless of the company, you can pretty much count on it being a bad experience.  Insurance companies make their money by minimizing payouts on claims, so they're going to squeeze you as hard as they can. 

Moral of the story: drive like you've got some sense so you don't have to file a claim.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 02:01:41 PM »
I shopped around just this last month. Ameriprise is half of all the other quotes I have received. I read the reviews and honestly I am a good driver so I'm not that worried and willing to take the chance to save half. I went through the Costco online portal and then had to call in with reference number then they told me the price. I told them I only needed liability so it went down but I couldn't get roadside unless I had full coverage. So I looked into AAA and got it at $40 / year. Went back to ameriprise had to reconfirm details that was submitted with the original application. Then they told me they have. Send me a form in the mail to fill out and submit with a proof of address and utilities. Received it about 3 days later in the mail. Haven't filled it out or finished because honestly who wants to send things in the mail and wait and submit proof of address and nonsense. I never asked if you have to do this each time or what, but I just got exhausted from having to call I etc. Still might send the application in though. Wanted em to confirm my SSN over the phone too. Just seemed unnecessary really. But yeah it's half of what I'm paying right now.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 02:14:18 PM »

Anecdotal, but... I'd beware of AAA.  I went through the pain of calling around all the insurance companies and settling on AAA.  When I called Allstate to cancel, my agent asked me where I was going.  I said AAA.  He said, "I used to be an independent agent.  We stopped selling AAA because they would hook you with one price, then raise the price or cancel in a couple of months."

Sure enough: about a month and a half in, AAA canceled both my home and auto for 2 different ridiculous reasons.  As I was in the middle of a long, hellish family emergency, I just punted and went back to Allstate.  My broker just chucked and said, "I told you so."

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!