Author Topic: Auto insurance--who are you happy with?  (Read 4273 times)

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
Auto insurance--who are you happy with?
« on: June 26, 2017, 05:51:14 PM »
Have been with 21st Century for years, but they keep raising my rates despite the fact that I have not had an accident or ticket in 23 years! AND (this really bugs me), they charge a 3$ fee to pay the bill online! Their stupid return envelope says "Save a Stamp, Pay online!" Riiiiiiiiiight, I will save a 50 cent stamp so I can go to your dumb website and pay $3.

I am shopping around. Who are you happy with? Geico? Anyone else? I also want towing/roadside included. I have not needed it in three years, but it saves me buying an AAA membership.

Thanks!

LovesToTravel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Auto insurance--who are you happy with?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 12:31:40 PM »
I've had Geico for years and been happy with them.  They do offer a roadside assistance option.

Miss Tash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 01:46:08 PM »
Liberty Mutual !!!  Love this company.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 01:51:51 PM »
I have had Progressive off and on since I have owned my own cars, so seven different states. Every once in awhile I will get a better rate elsewhere, but Progressive is always better again the next time I check.

We do have roadside assistance, as well.

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 02:15:58 PM »
USAA is great for those in their 20s and 30s.  Geico wanted to charge me 5 times as much just because I was in my 20s.  I have family cars, home, and banking with USAA which gets us a discount on everything.  Their customer service hours are only M-F 9-7, but you get smart, friendly people that speak clear English that fix it the first time.  You'll never end up at a help desk in India.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 02:42:00 PM »
I've had Geico for years and been happy with them.  They do offer a roadside assistance option.
I've had no problems with Geico either and I like that they have opened a call center in Buffalo, NY (employing Americans) and pay well ($30-40K/year in an area where rent is about $700/month).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »
I have had Progressive for over ten years.  Every time I get a quote elsewhere, I can't beat them.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 12:56:11 PM »
I have State Farm.  I have always been happy with them, my current agent is really helpful.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 01:29:20 PM »
I've been happy (as happy as one can be with insurance I've never used) with Geico.  And I was personally unhappy with Liberty Mutual.  Started out with a great rate (due to an alumni group) and the next year it went up like 40%.  I called to complain and the guy said "yeah, you're a good driver, I have no idea why it went up that much."

I also feel like Geico does a great job of both explaining what you're paying for and letting you experiment with different coverage options on their website.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 03:03:21 PM »
The day you actually need your insurance company is the day you will feel better about not having signed onto the lowest quoting company!
As for Liberty Mutual, I have no experience with them at all...but I do have a quibble with their advertising pitch:   The whole "I get in one accident and they raise my rate...I should have researched my insurance company more" schtick annoys me a bit as insurance companies will insure anything- for a price! 
If you wanted a policy that included a "mulligan", just tell them so and expect to pay a premium for that feature.  Personally I prefer to not be in the same risk pool as drivers wanting a do over.
Rant over- I have to go yell at some clouds now.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 03:56:20 PM »
The day you actually need your insurance company is the day you will feel better about not having signed onto the lowest quoting company!
As for Liberty Mutual, I have no experience with them at all...but I do have a quibble with their advertising pitch:   The whole "I get in one accident and they raise my rate...I should have researched my insurance company more" schtick annoys me a bit as insurance companies will insure anything- for a price! 
If you wanted a policy that included a "mulligan", just tell them so and expect to pay a premium for that feature.  Personally I prefer to not be in the same risk pool as drivers wanting a do over.
Rant over- I have to go yell at some clouds now.
I got into an accident while with Geico, I am stil very pleased with them and yes, they are the lowest I can find.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 09:37:01 AM »
Another GEICO customer who is happy. I've had 2 claims over my years with them and both experiences were good (at least as far as dealing with insurance). In the case of an animal collision my premiums went down the next time. In the case of a collision premiums stayed the same.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »
We've had USAA for 15 or so years. Very happy with them.

Asalbeag

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 04:56:42 AM »
I also feel like Geico does a great job of both explaining what you're paying for and letting you experiment with different coverage options on their website.

I second this, have had good experience with Geico and they are significantly cheaper than anybody else I quoted. Their website is great for adjusting coverage to suit your exact needs and you don't have to deal directly with a useless agent.

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 03:22:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with Geico, saving $160 a year over 21st Century. AND, I have better coverage. (I think you are nuts if you just opt for the minimums! I haven't had just minimums in ages!) So many people I know are stuck into this stupid brand/company loyalty mindset: "Oh, we've used them for years..." SO WHAT? You like getting ripped off so you can brag about loyalty--sucker!