Author Topic: Auto Insurance - drop USAA? Sure seems so...  (Read 19096 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
Auto Insurance - drop USAA? Sure seems so...
« on: April 29, 2015, 06:51:42 PM »
I have had USAA auto insurance for nearly 10 years. Their rates keep increasing however, and I finally price shopped.

In the quest to reduce yearly spending, I quoted for two drives in their 20s with no accidents/tickets:

• $500k/500k bodily injury (liability, under/uninsured)*
  • $100k property
  • $1k deductibles on a 2005/1998 vehicles**
  • Roadside assist

I am somewhat saddened because the following were quotes:

• USAA - $760/year
  • Geico - $486/year
  • Progressive - $540/year

This makes me realize my current car insurance is really high for people who have never used it. I guess I had a windshield chip repaired, once..

When I called USAA they basically couldn't explain why, they told me that Geico is currently undercutting everyone (which I guess might be true, but still that's almost 50% more for USAA). I like USAA but I'm not sure I like them for $275 a year more.

*Note that we have higher liability currently, 1M/1M but no other company than USAA goes above 500k/500k so we quoted everyone at the exact same limits.
**We are planning on reducing some of our collision/comprehensive either way.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:29:43 PM by ender »

DaylightRevolution

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Auto Insurance - drop USAA? Sure seems so...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 08:26:26 PM »
I had the same issue with USAA. Loyal customer with multiple tie-ins through insurance, credit card, etc. Without warning, they raised my auto insurance by almost 35-40%. I've never had an accident (or even a speeding ticket). I asked for an explanation, and after much hemming & hawing, I was told that they raised their price to be more in line with other insurance companies (kind of the opposite of what they're telling you). Bad answer.

If the benefits are the same, you should switch insurers.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 09:01:35 PM »
I doubt that any insurer would admit to it, but after reading countless reports like this, I am convinced that there is a huge penalty to be paid for being loyal. The wife's family had State Farm since internal combustion first became popular. I tagged along after we got married. We had a real dick for an agent, and I didn't trust any of it. In a year's span the rates climbed by about 40-45%, and I decided that loyalty was for fools. I dropped the rate well below half with a competitor. Next was homeowner's. I knew that we were getting taken by SF on that too. They opened up a new office in town, and I stopped in for a quote. They didn't know who I was, and quoted me twice the coverage, for a dollar less. When I called my old agent on that, the company got involved and said that that price was for new business and not available for existing customers. I then explained that my status no long existing, but had been revised to previous.
Personally, I hate USAA deeply, but that's another matter. The bottom line is that they encourage loyalty, and you have seen the results of being loyal. Lesson learned. I'm now with Erie, and the rates are stunningly cheap, with great service. That said, it's still a great idea to shop around at least every other year to protect yourself.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 09:30:10 PM »
I have written the exact same thing here about USAA.   Been with them since 1989, and I can hardly recognize the company.  They are so completely uncompetitive on so much anymore, it is unreal.  Service over the years has declined, costs going WAY up, standards I think are lowered.  Damn, was it a tight ship when McDermott was running the show.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »
Wow, thanks for the heads up.  I've been with USAA for a while.  They were competitive last time I price shopped, but that was a while ago.

I just dropped my long standing USAA brokerage account for Schwab.  They clearly haven't invested in the platform for years.  Credit card rewards haven't been competitive for years either.

I used to love them, but they've just gotten so uncompetitive over time.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 10:02:12 PM »
When I called USAA they basically couldn't explain why, they told me that Geico is currently undercutting everyone (which I guess might be true, but still that's almost 50% more for USAA). I like USAA but I'm not sure I like them for $275 a year more.

I first wrote them a stern note about don't tell me you can not price match, to which they called.  They always throw in the "subscribers savings account" brings the cost *pretty close* BS...  Yeah, it's based on $$$ I have paid into!  Asked them how numerous companies I have never done business with can beat the crap out of your prices for a fella who has no accidents, no tickets of any kind, customer with 27 years with you, used every service at one time or another you ever offered.  Got the "be careful if you switch to Geico, we have been told they will hook you, and then rates go way up"...  Enough already USAA.  As said, you prey on loyalty, and at one time people felt fortunate to be able to join, now you're all hat and no cattle.  God, have they fallen hard!

If you really want to see them in action, inquire about their wealth management services... 

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 11:05:46 PM »
I have Geico, and have priced shopped periodically and they have always been cheaper than anything else out there for me, and have not raised my rates that I remember... I think I've had the rate lowered a few times actually (my homeowners policy has gone up, but I live in a hurricane area and house prices are climbing as well).

I do have two cars and a house policy, and longevity and safe driver discounts, but they beat the next competitor by over $100 just on my car insurance. And had nothing but excellent service from them when I needed them.

I would not stay with a company like USAA if they were that much more expensive when there are so many other insurance companies out there that would give good service at a better rate.

nedwin

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 10:31:52 AM »
At one time I had all my insurance with USAA, for two cars and two houses.  After coming here, I shopped around and found that I was paying 50% too much.  USAA couldn't price match, so now I am with GEICO for our cars and Safeco for our houses.  I was recently in an accident and was deemed at fault, GEICO was easy to work with on my end and my premium only went up about $75 after that (less than 20%).  You are paying too much for your loyalty to USAA.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 10:34:14 AM »
If you rarely drive, I would recommend looking into Progressive Snapshot - I have an 18% policy discount because of Snapshot.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 10:54:09 AM »
Wow, thanks for the heads up.  I've been with USAA for a while.  They were competitive last time I price shopped, but that was a while ago.

Every insurer has different pricing models, and it's pretty rare that one insurer is always going to be cheaper.  Also, it's important that you're actually comparing apples to apples.  I just priced a quote from GEICO and it initially quoted a price about 40% lower than USAA.  But once I changed the coverages to what I actually had (and what I told GEICO I had), GEICO was more expensive.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 11:05:04 AM »
I've had USAA for about 3 years.  They were significantly cheaper than State Farm when I switched, but now that I'm about to move and add a second vehicle I'll be getting quotes again.  My rate went up 3% this year with them.

captainawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 11:37:25 AM »
I had the same findings when I was researching auto insurance. I've been with USAA since I was 17, but they couldn't compare to Geico. Made the switch and I enjoy the extra money in my account every month.

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 11:42:03 AM »
Went with Geico because of the same issue. Almost $200 less a year, and we both a good drivers. I enjoy using USAA for banking because they have great customer service (so far) but their other products aren't worth it IMO.

hwstar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 11:49:03 AM »
I use Costco which is administered by Ameriprise. Coverages are as follows:

Liability: 250K/500K
Property damage 100K

2 vehicles

Vehicle annual miles 7500/5000

Cost $210.00 every 6 months ($420/yr).

This includes  a significant discount if you do not drive to the same place more than 3 times per week. This is an interesting filter for retired people.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 01:20:38 PM »
"be careful if you switch to Geico, we have been told they will hook you, and then rates go way up"
That has not been my experience. I've been with Geico for 20 years. I price-shop them every year and they are always lower, comparing apples to apples. A few years ago I had a car transition into "collectible" status and I got a better deal through Heacock for this car than I had through Geico, so I switched that to the new policy. 

They cherry-pick safe drivers and give them competitive rates. They offer aggressive safe driver discounts and "good student" discounts (kids with high grades tend to have less accidents, go figure!) My wife and I have completely clean records - she had one weather-associated accident 20 years ago (no ticket), and I've been accident free my entire driving history. No tickets that we haven' t been able to negotiate out of. YMMV.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 01:28:07 PM »

Every insurer has different pricing models, and it's pretty rare that one insurer is always going to be cheaper.  Also, it's important that you're actually comparing apples to apples.  I just priced a quote from GEICO and it initially quoted a price about 40% lower than USAA.  But once I changed the coverages to what I actually had (and what I told GEICO I had), GEICO was more expensive.
When I switched to GEICO 1.5 years ago I first priced out exact same policy I had with USAA, and it was ~50% of the price. Then I upped the deductibles to $1k from $500 and it went to 38% of what I had been paying. Whenever I looked to up my deductible at USAA it was maybe $5/month difference and so not worth it.

Right.  I wasn't trying to say that USAA was a better deal for anyone else.  Just that each company uses different insurance ratings models, and they'll come up with different prices for everyone.  So just because GEICO was cheaper for you doesn't mean it'll be cheaper for anyone else.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »
USAA is quick to pay on claims though while some other insurance companies make you jump through a ton of hoops.  I have never been insured with USAA but I do deal with them and a few other companies professionally.

On loyalty, I've been with Electric Ins for many years because my husband is from a GE family.  Compared to you all, my rates are ridiculous.  However, I live in an "insurance optional" state so we tend to have high rates.

250/500, $10,000 med-pay, 2 people/cars, perfect records, $1086/year.

It's always worth increasing your medpay if you live in a medpay state.  If you are in an accident (not your fault) and injured and sue the other driver, you will have to pay back your health insurance from what you recover.  If you use your medpay to cover your medical bills until that is exhausted, that does not have to be paid back.  It increases what you get to pocket from the settlement rather than paying back to your health insurer.  It is usually pretty cheap to up med-pay.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 05:19:21 PM »
If I drop all comprehensive/collision/roadside assist, it puts numbers a lot closer for us. I think $50/year more for USAA - though the limits we have are considerably higher with USAA now and that increases it a bit relative to the best Geico coverage ($482 vs $390).

That's a lot more acceptable for us. We might stick with them as a result, since we've got higher limits with USAA. But man was there a difference if we were keeping comprehensive/collision.

grsing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 06:20:04 PM »
I had a very similar experience with USAA, but the difference was even greater (about $1k/year total difference for two cars). I pretty much told them that I like USAA, and I'm not closing my other accounts, but there's no way I like them $1k/year more for the same coverage. Oddly, on homeowners, they were right in line with other insurers, so I've kept my homeowners with them.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 08:10:26 PM »
All of the folks saying Geico is cheaper than USAA prompted me get a quote from Geico.

The weird thing is, it's not possible for me to get an apples-to-apples comparison, because Geico's coverage limits don't go up to my current coverage with USAA; am I just over-insured?

Property Damage Liability is limited to 100,000 on Geico, I have 300,000 on USAA. Medical Payments are limited to 10,000 on Geico, I have 25,000 on USAA.

With the closest I can get on Geico, their quote is $17/month cheaper.

JKLescher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 08:17:58 AM »
I also switched to GEICO because they were almost half price compared to State Farm for the same coverage. Weeks later my husband totalled his car. Their service was great and prompt. Our rates went up about $50-55/year after the accident, but they were still much cheaper. State Farm also warned us that GEICO's rates would shoot up if we ever made a claim. Not so.

One interesting note was that when I was quoting insurance from the GEICO website if my name was first as the policyholder it was about $30 cheaper every six months than if my husband's name was first. This was before the accident. So if you can put a female with a clean driving record first on your policy let the statistical sexism work in your favor. Sorry dudes.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 10:43:25 AM »
As an update, I priced out Geico vs. my current USAA rates.

USAA actually ended up lower by a tiny amount with my current coverage.  I guess Geico isn't better for everyone.

As a disclaimer, I do live in CA, which has some rather stupid laws that prevent competition on insurance.  I expect this is the major reason why USAA remains price competitive.

churchill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 11:50:14 AM »
For those individuals in one of the states they serve, we've had very good rates and service from https://www.erieinsurance.com/. I oversee a fleet of vehicles, so I'm dealing with claims folks more than your average driver, and I'm always pleased with their service. USAA adjusters are also quite efficient for the claims process.

I have been able to deal directly with the adjusters to get lower rates for specific vehicles by providing mileage statistics, etc. And consider trying to take advantage of paying for policies semi-annually or annually to get an additional discount, and be careful to never over-insure.

cautiouspessimist

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 01:23:52 PM »
It almost seems like I could have written this post a couple of months ago. I noticed that my rates were going up a good amount (most of the increase was offset by an increase in my 'loyalty' discount), so I shopped around. Found a good quote from esurance...which promptly went up by about $600 about half an hour later. So I dropped that. I have never had good quotes from GEICO. I wasn't able to find anything else that was comparable to the rate USAA had. So I'm sticking with it.

I would definitely caution anyone thinking about switching to make sure they don't cancel their current coverage until they get all the figures from the new company.

fewilcox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • I make games and write stories.
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 11:40:13 PM »
I have always had USAA. Through college I was on my dad's policy. I got my own USAA policy in summer 2002, adding my wife after we got married that fall. We both have spotless driving records (no surprise considering that I was permanently crippled in a college by a driver who thought her time was more important than my life), and semi-full coverage due to my paranoia after that crash (Dad's UIM became an issue that took a lawsuit to resolve because Ms. Reckless had minimum coverage). We live in NC, and our only car is a 2004 Kia Sedona minivan (which I need thanks to my physical limitations).

In response to this thread I did what I do every couple of years and got several quotes for the same coverage we currently get from USAA, including the roadside assistance (since the van has been slowly dying for the last couple of years we have already used the RA so many times that we could continue to pay for it for the rest of our lives and still come out ahead). Here are the results:

USAA $51.01
Geico $82.77
Progressive $58.27
State Farm $83.72

Add in the fact that our annual dividend pays nearly all of our January payment every year, and there's just no comparison – especially given the quality of service we've always received. I also call in at least every few years to make sure our coverage fits our current needs, but the only change we've made in the 6.5 years since we got the van was lowering the UIM after my wife lost her job two years ago.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 04:57:46 AM »
The greatness of USAA is a myth.  My parents had/have it, and when I needed to get insurance EVERYONE would say "USAA is the best!".
I think it's something people just repeat because they've been told that, without actually investigating it.  When I price shopped, everyone was cheaper than USAA.  And I had a clean record with the good-student discounts and whatever other crap their was.

USAA called me up to ask why I was leaving them. 
USAA:  "why are you leaving?  You know we're the best, right?"
Me:  "Because you're rates are very high"
USAA:  "but when you do need us, we'll be there.  Can our competition say that?"
Me:  "Yes.  Yes they can."
USAA:  "no comment"

nedwin

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 11:35:13 AM »
I have always had USAA. Through college I was on my dad's policy. I got my own USAA policy in summer 2002, adding my wife after we got married that fall. We both have spotless driving records (no surprise considering that I was permanently crippled in a college by a driver who thought her time was more important than my life), and semi-full coverage due to my paranoia after that crash (Dad's UIM became an issue that took a lawsuit to resolve because Ms. Reckless had minimum coverage). We live in NC, and our only car is a 2004 Kia Sedona minivan (which I need thanks to my physical limitations).

Do I understand correctly that you had to sue USAA before they would pay UIM coverage after you were crippled, and you are still loyal to it?  How did you feel about paying 30%-40% of your recovery to your lawyer, given that this was coverage that USAA was contractually required to pay in the first place?  Man, with customers like you it doesn't matter how high their premiums go.

Personally I have never had a transaction with USAA that was not screwed up by them in some way.  Three times I've financed an auto through them.  The first and third loans the payments to the sellers were screwed up and had to be re-issued.  Try explaining that to the seller.  Twice they did not return the vehicle title after the loan was paid off, I had to call and kindly remind them.  I financed a home purchase through USAA.  The loan officer was uncommunicative with me and significantly delayed the process by about 45 days.  Good thing the sellers hung with us.  After I cancelled my home insurance with USAA and instructed my loan servicer not pay them through the escrow account, they began debiting it from my bank account without my authorization (even though the policy was cancelled).  Another time it took them three months to get an adjuster to look at my car for a hail claim.  There are other instances that I cannot recall now.  How it is continually ranked with high customer satisfaction ratings year over year is a pure mystery to me.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 01:31:55 PM »
Interesting checkpoint. I compared against Esurance and GEICO. I did work in the USAA claims department about 8 years ago so I am a bit biased for USAA but if someone else was significantly cheaper, I'd probably switch.

Per month rates based on 1 female driver with excellent credit, 1 vehicle with comp/coll
USAA $52.44 (it was $0.49 less per month to use the lower offered coverage if you're really concerned about comparability)
GEICO $55.34
Esurance $90.61

Nice to know I'm doing pretty well and this is pre-dividend. Though holy post-it notes Batman on Esurance! They even asked how much I drove and got the <5K per year answer. I like that they sent me a follow up email on how they can save me money on that quote...

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 06:16:19 PM »
I think lots of information goes into how auto insurance is quoted and each state has their own laws. I was just recently shopping insurance myself. I've been with Allstate for many many years and in the past every time I've shopped the rate they have been the cheapest overall. I get certain discounts etc, so lots of things need to be looked at to compare. I have been told for years that I should get USAA so I finally called them. I've a veteran so I knew I qualified. While they are completely killing Allstate on my homeowner, which I did switch to them for, they are way over on my auto policy quotes. Every vehicle I own was higher. I will lose my multi-policy discount with Allstate, but still better to split them. I think the key is to shop whenever insurance is due to renew.

Philo Beddoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 07:42:44 PM »
shit...this is all very interesting. I just switched to USAA about 5 years ago. The rate was better at the time (than Liberty Mutual) and the service has been fine (haven't really needed to do much for me.)

I guess it's time to shop around again and make sure they are still competitive. I am in California too though, so I'm guessing they are right in there with the lowest.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2015, 12:42:44 PM »
For those who have dropped USAA for their auto & home, did you get a disbursement from your subscriber's savings account?

I am curious for I've been with USAA since 1988 when I got commissioned for auto & home insurance. 
Now thanks to MMM & its members, I am questioning going with a different carrier for those needs.
I have gotten quotes from other agencies so know where I stand rate wise here in VT.
With my yearly disbursement, it comes out about even in savings, but why wait plus ..... 
It would be nice to have the money in my SSA working for me in other ways for its a good chunk of cash.

mikesinWV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2015, 01:05:45 PM »
I was with USAA for well over 20 years- the last 15 or so was homeowners and auto. 

A few years ago I was blown away by the way they increased the premium on my older home (100+ years).  They literally told me that the rebuild value of the house was more than 3 times what the house was currently worth which was causing the the premium to be so high.  When I went line by line, I realized they wanted to rebuild my interior with plaster walls rather than drywall.  They were not willing to work with me.

I called Nationwide, got a quote on the house as well as my two cars.  The estimates on the auto were close to the USAA.  But the home policy really was what surprised me.  Premium was much lower and with a much lower deductible.  Within a year i had a broken water pipe (as a result of a frozen line last winter) and I was more than pleased with how my claim was handled.

I still use USAA for my checking so I haven't completely severed my relationship with them.

Snogirl:  I do believe that they full refunded me the SSA which was not something i was expecting.  Nice.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2015, 08:16:48 AM »
I was with USAA for well over 20 years- the last 15 or so was homeowners and auto. 

A few years ago I was blown away by the way they increased the premium on my older home (100+ years).  They literally told me that the rebuild value of the house was more than 3 times what the house was currently worth which was causing the the premium to be so high.  When I went line by line, I realized they wanted to rebuild my interior with plaster walls rather than drywall.  They were not willing to work with me.

I called Nationwide, got a quote on the house as well as my two cars.  The estimates on the auto were close to the USAA.  But the home policy really was what surprised me.  Premium was much lower and with a much lower deductible.  Within a year i had a broken water pipe (as a result of a frozen line last winter) and I was more than pleased with how my claim was handled.

I still use USAA for my checking so I haven't completely severed my relationship with them.

Snogirl:  I do believe that they full refunded me the SSA which was not something i was expecting.  Nice.

Thanks Mike for the info.
I am going to get the ball rolling so that refund hits at the beginning of 2016.
judy

nedwin

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2015, 09:41:41 AM »
For those who have dropped USAA for their auto & home, did you get a disbursement from your subscriber's savings account?

Snogirl - from the the USAA PDF brochure regarding subscriber's account:

CAN I MAKE DEPOSITS OR WITHDRAWALS
FROM MY SUBSCRIBER’S ACCOUNT?
No, this is not a bank account where you can make
deposits or withdrawals. Rather, it’s an account in your
name where USAA capital is held and managed by the
USAA Board of Directors, according to the USAA Bylaws.
Because these accounts are an integral part of USAA’s
capital structure, they are managed by the Board of
Directors. The account remains in the member’s name
as long as he/she has at least one property and casualty
policy with USAA. When a member terminates all property
and casualty policies, the balance of the Subscriber’s
Account is disbursed about six months later. After the
termination of all of a member’s property and casualty
policies, the member must reapply and go through the
underwriting process to re-establish coverage.

So it looks like you would receive a refund when you are hoping.  I do not remember receiving a refund after I cancelled my accounts, but my memory on this may be foggy.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2015, 10:09:35 AM »
Make sure those Geico/Progressive quotes aren't for 6-month policies if your USAA policy is for 12 months...

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2015, 01:05:45 PM »
A Navy buddy was crowing on Facebook about switching to Geico from USAA and how much he saved.  Geico issued him a new policy out of the blue (no claims or anything) that pushed his rates above his old USAA rates.

He is crowing on Facebook again, this time about switching back to USAA and how dishonest Geico was in his case.

I'll be sticking with USAA for now.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 01:18:05 PM »
I got a very solid quote from a local Allstate agent whom I have a recreational vehicle policy with (USAA doesn't cover it anymore).
It is comparing same term length so it is pretty clear it will be a small savings.
Seriously I am going to switch solely to get the SSA disbursement of 5k.
If I do not like it, I will switch back.  I still a small bank account with them as well.
Thanks to all who posted about the SSA info.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2015, 03:17:17 PM »
A Navy buddy was crowing on Facebook about switching to Geico from USAA and how much he saved.  Geico issued him a new policy out of the blue (no claims or anything) that pushed his rates above his old USAA rates.

He is crowing on Facebook again, this time about switching back to USAA and how dishonest Geico was in his case.

I'll be sticking with USAA for now.

From what I can tell, all insurance companies increase the rates on you, so constantly switching is the best strategy. Unless INRC, there was a Planet Money/Marketplace/NPR segment about how the insurance companies do this?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2015, 04:03:53 PM »

Is this something everyone is supposed to get?

I don't evensee an SSA on my account anywhere in my USAA accounts..

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 09:24:26 PM »
What is normal for a rate increase?  USAA went up 5% this year for me.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 09:38:37 PM »

Is this something everyone is supposed to get?

I don't evensee an SSA on my account anywhere in my USAA accounts..

No, only people who actually served in the military are eligible to participate in SSAs.  It represents the each member's share of USAA.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2015, 07:51:28 AM »
No one's mentioned AAA.

I have them now for regular membership (roadside assistance and all that) but, I also have them for home and auto
They are, hands down, the cheapest alternative and I've never had one issue with them.

I insure 3 cars (one notch above state minimums) for $633 for the year.
I don't think Geico, USAA or any of the big names can even come close.