Author Topic: What are good Self-Employment forums, networking, info resources?  (Read 2797 times)

Zelda01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Are there any good self-employment forums online?

For you self-employed, do you attend any in-person networking events, seminars, conferences, etc., to keep up on information?

What is driving this is, I've been self-employed for 4 years and am feeling like a hermit.  There are issues I stumble upon, and it would be nice to have people to talk to.  The questions I have lately are:
- What do you do for data security: external HD backups, online backups, fire-proof safes?
- Will you be getting a better health insurance deal with the ACA?
- What is your business entity, and are there advantages from changing from sole proprietor to something else?
- Do you farm some things out like website development, IT stuff, taxes, etc., or do them yourself?
- Do you have a few big clients, or lots of little ones?  What do you do for marketing?

Actually, if self-employed people here want to answer any of the above questions, feel free :)

Zelda01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What are good Self-Employment forums, networking, info resources?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »
Thanks, Serpentstooth, I will look for groups in my field, or in related fields that may have the same issues as mine. 

kt

Re: What are good Self-Employment forums, networking, info resources?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 01:41:31 AM »
hi!

i'm self-employed and use fora for my profession which are really useful for finding answers to common issues.

with regards your other questions,
i backup daily on an external hard drive but don't back up online due to privacy issues although i've not researched that well and i do use email to send documents which i know is not super secure.
i currently do my own taxes and everything else. when i want to get a mortgage i'll probs need an accountant to verify my income and i plan to get a website in the next year which i may well farm out to someone else.
i have probably 3/4 clients who provide 75% of my work and around 8-12 clients who provide the rest. i'm fairly on in my career (20 months in full-time) and still very actively trying to get more clients (higher paying and more specific)

i do love the flexibility of being self-employed but i definitely get a little hermit like as i started at the same time as moving to a new city.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!