Author Topic: Australian needs advice (never invested)  (Read 1520 times)

Graduate1079

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Australian needs advice (never invested)
« on: January 06, 2019, 04:41:34 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've just turned 48 and unfortunately have not made any steps to invest until now.  I have been looking at Vanguard products as well as going through St George.  I just need advice as to the how to go about how to actually figure out what product is right for me? 

Case study.
1 working, 1 on pension (at less than $50 per week as I earn too much!?)
Own our home $450,000 est
No Debts
Approx $20k in savings

Monthly net income     $4337.56

Monthly Expenses:
House Insurance      $102.00
Rates                      $246.77
Private Health(2pax) $305.00
Phones, internet        $113.30
Electricity                 $105.83
Car Reg/insur            $94.86
Pub. Transport           $142.56
Food/wine/fuel          $1400.00

Expenses per month est $2527.26
Leftover                         $1809.99

My super fund fees are quite low.  I am planning on contributing an extra $1k per year into my fund.  I have approx $150,000 only in my super fund.

I've been wondering if I should open a Vanguard account on behalf of my retired partner and contribute as much as I can ? 

We do live very frugally.  We don't eat out ever and cook from scratch, that is just what we enjoy. We don't have expensive hobbies are a mainly homebodies.  A death in the family has made me really think about my life and where I am going financially.  I do appreciate everyone's help and guidance.

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:11:02 PM by Graduate1079 »

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
What's your savings rate? You may need a fairly high rate to ER within five years.

Any opportunities to increase your income?

Are you putting any extra into your superannuation? What sort of fees does your super fund charge?

At 48 you're probably going to need a different strategy to if you were 28. Given you're 12 years from preservation age, you'd probably want to be focussing on getting your super sorted and putting as much as possible into it*.

*this isn't advice (#coveringarse)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:28:24 AM by alsoknownasDean »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
In a perfect world I would be retiring in 5 years.

In a perfect world, I would have super models throwing themselves at me for stud service, handing me millions of dollars for pocket money, and my wife would be happy about it.

Based on your savings and income, I think the odds of me living in a perfect world are higher than yours.

Go to the case study part of this forum, read the sticky note about how to do a case study, and fill out a case study.   Then we'll have a chance to give you good advice because we'll have the data we need.

And put a link to it here so we can find it.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
Under Investor Alley is an entire thread on Australian Investing. I would read all of it. Yes, it’s long, might take you a week or two, read it all. I also got the Barefoot Investors book, it’s good mostly because it gives the Australian perspective of what to invest in. Also, read MMM’s most popular articles. Try to read as much as you can from him.

You don’t need St George, you can invest directly into Vanguard Australia. As for which product, call them to discuss. I use the aggressive life strategy product.

The best way to start is to work backwards. What do you expect your expenses to be in retirement? Times that by 25. You’re starting late and don’t have much in savings or your super.  That’s not fatal per se, but it will take a lot from you and your family. Definitely do a case study. 5 years may not be realistic, but 10 years may be. That’s still retiring earlier than most.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Need a lot more details, though based on what you have there is not much chance of you retiring at 53.

As mentioned up above, putting as much into super as possible is the best bet at your age.

It's good you have a paid off house. Solid foundation to work around, and not having to worry about mortgages or rent in retirement.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!