Author Topic: Australian budgeting software  (Read 4282 times)

burrow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • "He who knows he has enough is rich"
Australian budgeting software
« on: February 26, 2015, 10:46:25 AM »
I'm sure this has been discussed before, so could somebody please point me in the right direction for budgeting software (preferably free) to suit the Australian situation. I use a PC laptop rather than a mobile device. Thanx.

Zehirah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Australian budgeting software
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 06:40:32 PM »
YNAB works everywhere.  It's not free but they have a free 34-day trial and they give away a copy to somebody at each of their webinar classes.  If you want to buy but not pay full price, Steam have regular sales or check out their forum and use someone's referral code (you save US$6 and they get US$6).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:03:07 PM by Zehirah »

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:39:07 PM »
Another vote for YNAB.  If you are looking for free, would something like yodlee , mint, or personal capital work with AUD?  I would think so since it just links to your existing accounts.  But they are really more like tracking tools, not budgeting tools.

I suggest checking out a webinar to see how the software works, then try the trial.  I have admitted before it took me more than 34 days to really start liking it, but I bought it fairly discounted and thought at the time it was work a try for the price.

burrow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 07:45:40 PM »
Actually, I am probably more after a tracking tool - to record spending patterns over the next few years. Doesn't need to link directly to my bank account as a lot of spending is cash anyway, so would need to be manually entered.

I suppose I could just use an Excel spreadsheet, but I thought there might already be a simple programme out there that saves some ground-work.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 06:30:12 AM »
YNAB.
I use it as a tracking tool and I enter manually.

andystkilda

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »
Apologies in advance, but I have to give my 2 cents, even if most people are after something more functional - Google Sheets.

Obviously it doesn't provide any of it's own predictions/budgets etc., but I love the fact that you have full control to customise/format your spreadsheets, and it's very fast/simple to run and load on the computer or mobile.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 09:51:51 PM »
Actually, I am probably more after a tracking tool - to record spending patterns over the next few years. Doesn't need to link directly to my bank account as a lot of spending is cash anyway, so would need to be manually entered.

I suppose I could just use an Excel spreadsheet, but I thought there might already be a simple programme out there that saves some ground-work.

I know of an app called Pocketbook that does that, but I don't know if it's also available for the browser. Might be worth a look :)

https://getpocketbook.com

aussiegal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 12:40:43 AM »
Hi,

I have recently started using ANZ money manager which you can use without being a customer, and its free! I have found it to have similar utility for me as how I was trialling ynab but heaps easier to use!

Dodge

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 01:45:10 AM »
YNAB changed everything for me, and that's after heavily using Mint for about a year. Try it!

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 04:17:57 AM »
Quicken 2004. Can be downloaded for free, has a budgeting function, supports QIF file imports and can be set up for the Australian FY Jul-Jun.

nora

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 04:42:46 AM »
A second for ANZ moneymanager. It is free and it rocks. It imports from your bank accounts automatically. And if you have a lot of cash transactions, you can enter manual transactions very quickly and easily too.

burrow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 10:34:29 PM »
Wow! Thanks everybody. A bit of homework to do now.