Author Topic: Attempting to resurrect car CD player  (Read 2861 times)

socaso

• Pencil Stache
Attempting to resurrect car CD player
« on: February 28, 2015, 05:08:45 PM »
We have a 2001 Toyota Prius that we have owned for about 4 years. It has a factory installed 6 disc cd changer that has never worked. I got inspired to play around with it yesterday and discovered that it will load discs into all of the trays but it ejects them without playing. After doing some research I've found most people advise that this indicates the lens needs cleaning. I can get a cleaner for less than $5 which is a nominal investment but part of me thinks it can't possibly be that simple and don't even waste the $5. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation and found success or failure?

Dimitri

Re: Attempting to resurrect car CD player
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 05:22:21 PM »
I wish I could answer your question but I have absolutely no idea.  However, one other place that you might search for answers (or post a question) is www.priuschat.com.  Best of luck.

kaizen soze

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 05:45:37 PM »
$5 seems worth the risk, if for resale value if nothing else.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 06:08:10 PM »
$5 seems worth the risk, if for resale value if nothing else.
We're kind of thinking we're going to drive this car into the ground. It's got 217k miles and we've already replaced the battery and transaxle. The main reason I'd like to fix it is to surprise my husband. He's been driving it a lot for work and I know he'd like some tunes beyond just the radio.

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 07:00:04 PM »
We have a 2001 Toyota Prius that we have owned for about 4 years. It has a factory installed 6 disc cd changer that has never worked. I got inspired to play around with it yesterday and discovered that it will load discs into all of the trays but it ejects them without playing. After doing some research I've found most people advise that this indicates the lens needs cleaning. I can get a cleaner for less than $5 which is a nominal investment but part of me thinks it can't possibly be that simple and don't even waste the $5. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation and found success or failure?
This happened to me once with an older car with a single CD player... That is EXACTLY what was wrong with it... Bought a CD looking thing with a tiny brush attached... Worked like a charm for me- hope that's what it is for you too!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 07:07:26 PM »
I had a similar issue with my laptop's CD player. I think I opened it up and cleaned the lens with a tissue or a cotton bud.

TheThirstyStag

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 10:46:10 PM »
Yeah a simple lens cleaning is likely all it needs.

You could end up taking it as far as I did for my SO, whose radio I not only cleaned, but ended up soldering an AUX cable to the cd player's logic board so mp3 players/phones can be used in lieu of CDs :)

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 04:17:40 PM »
Well, it didn't work. Boo hoo. I guess I can still get one of those old school cassette adaptors and play the ipod through that. I've seen some replacement cd players for this model car for about $75 but we've gotten along without it for so long I hate to spend the money. The 2001 Prius is an oddball because you can't get an after market cd player to fit it, you have to get a Toyota cd player. I guess this is because it is the first generation.